Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Is there a Chinatown in Sao Paulo or Rio?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25th, 2005, 11:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been reading various guidebooks but I can't find any information on a Chinatown in either city. I know that there are Chinese people with roots from Macau there, and--being Chinese myself--I am interested in seeing how their cuisine has developed in South America.
Also, I have a 9 hour layover in Sao Paulo before going to Rio. Is it reasonable to think I can go into town to explore a little before flying out?
Old Jan 27th, 2005, 09:55 AM
Original Poster

anyone?
Old Jan 29th, 2005, 03:10 PM
Original Poster

Thank you!
Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 02:22 AM

Hello MelissaHI. Sorry, no Chinatowns in Brasil. However, I'am aware there are lots of chinese and their brazilian offspring living here in Brazil. In São Paulo, there are a few very good chinese restaurants. With a 9 hour layover in São Paulo, you could make a blitz visit to downtown São Paulo. Be aware this season has been very, very rainy, so traffic jams are unusually heavier - mostly in the afternoon. Just in case, allow 3 hours to come back from downtown São Paulo to International Airport of Guarulhos (GRU). I suggest you take a taxi or a bus from this airport and drop near any metro station. Then board the metro and proceed to São Bento metro station. Get off. If São Bento Monastery Church is open, spare 5 minutes to visit the church - a wonderful historical building. Then take a leisure walk over Anhangabaú Valley, a very large and open pedestrian area, with impressive buildings and lots of green. You may visit the Light Shopping Mall (nice and historic building), almost in front of the Opera House (Teatro Municipal), for a soft drink at the 5th. floor or a good coffee (expresso) in the entry lobby. Finnaly, come back to GRU airport. I may provide you with other details. Have a nice layover in São Paulo.