Is the language going to be problem in rio.

Old May 22nd, 2002, 08:51 PM
MITCH

Is the language going to be problem in rio.

If i don't speak any Portuguese am i going to have alot of problems getting around,and communacating? expressly at the airport on arrival.

Old May 22nd, 2002, 11:51 PM
Evelyn

Hello Mitch,

Yes, probably if you do not speak any portuguese it will be not too easy for you to comunicate with people in Rio, ...because the majority in Brazil does not speak english(very well)!
But maybe you know a few words in spanish, then it will be much more easy for you, ..cause brazilians understand spanish and you will probably be able to understand a little portuguese too!

Getting around will not be too difficult I think, because you can always ask for (english) help in your hotel, where someone should speak a little english..
and for the taxi-drivers you can show a picture/map where you want to go!

At the airport I do not know if the staff there speaks english, but I do think so because it is an international airport and so the flight-attendants, ground-staff, people at the information etc. might speak english!

But if you want to know a few words in portuguese before you get there, look at this pages:

Here's a web-page where you can translate portuguese to english or opposite:
http://www.freedict.com/onldict/por.html

Here one page with the most important phrases and words:
http://www.if.ufrj.br/general/dictionary.html

Okay, hope that I could help a little, if you have further questions about Rio (any topic: security, beaches, must sees, hotels, restaurants, etc, ..) please ask me...
I am a frequently Brazil traveller and know Rio de Janeiro very well!

Greetings
Evelyn

Old May 23rd, 2002, 09:17 PM
MITCH

Thanks Evelyn I will look up those web sights. I was thinking of staying in cococabana, at Rio Othon Palace.what do you think of that choice? and do you know if the fishing is good around rio.[deep sea fishing]

Old May 24th, 2002, 06:13 AM
CariocaRio

Mitch, if you know the language thats great but you will survive if you don't. People who work in the Hotels speak some english. The Othon Palace is ok but maybe a little run down and they will not let you bring guests in to your room if you want. At the airport no problem, just say taxi, copacabana and your hotel name. they will take dollars for a taxi ride about $22 bring change, take the taxis at the desk red or blue cars, Coppertran is the taxi name, don't take an independent they will rip you off

Old May 24th, 2002, 02:15 PM
Evelyn

Hello Mitch again,

yes, I think the Rio-Othon Palace is okay and a good choice, here the web-page from it:
http://www.othon.com.br
(under Rio/Rio Othon Palace),

it is well locatd and so you can sit down near the beach at night and drink some "caipirinhas"- a very tasty drink!

Deep sea fishing in Rio itself I don't know, but you can contact the following travel-agent
http://www.saveiros.com.br/ingles/i_default.htm

four special deep sea fishing-tours around Rio, maybe in Angra dos Reis, Buzios or somewhere else they have something!
(around 120-200 kms from Rio)

Hope this helps you a bit more?
Greetings
Evelyn