Reload this Page >

Is Chichen Itza worth the time?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7th, 2002, 09:32 AM
Lisa Karin

I am going to Cancun at the end of May with two of my friends. One of them insists that we take a tour to Chichen Itza. It is an all day event. I am not a "tour" kind of person. It sounds very interesting but would involve taking up a WHOLE DAY. Two questions, is it worth the 3 or 4 hour bus ride and there alternative ways of going other than the tour bus (besides renting a car).

Old Apr 7th, 2002, 12:55 PM
cathy

helli, i drove to chichen itza a few yrs back. stayed in vallodolid, close by. it is along drive from cancun. but very interesting. we travel independently quite a bit but hired a goverment authorized guide at the entrance for 30.00 us.it i think we got much more out of the trip with a guide than not. i recommend hiring them when ever touring historical/cultural site. its is pretty amazing there, in may it will be VERY hot and humid. watch the quality of the guide service.

Old Apr 7th, 2002, 02:51 PM
Sherry

We did the tour thing from our resort and yes, it is a full day trip. We had a great tour guide. My favorite part was stopping at Ikil on the way - IT is worth the trip, so make sure your bus stops there. Chichen Itza is an amazing place, especially if you venture up the pyramid. I was warey about going too, as I'm not a history buff, but the guide made it very interesting and we had fun exploring on our own.

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 01:11 PM
Shari

I haven't been to Chichen Itza in many years, but it was wonderful. If you aren't the type to like such things, why not stay behind and do something else? It did take up the whole day, but I don't see what's wrong with that.

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 06:52 PM
mexicodan

U BET!<BR><BR>The grandaddy of them all!!<BR><BR>adios!<BR>mexicodan<BR>www.mexicomexico.info

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 08:51 AM
Dr Nick

Lisa,<BR>Chichen Itza was om only reason for even going to Cancun. It is spectacular, if done right. I took the advise of a Fodor's travel guide- take the bus with the tour. You get there during the hottest part of the day. While everyone is trying desperately to see everything in a couple of hours, take a leisurely walk to the hotels on the end of the site and book a room for the night. I dont remember the name of the plae I stayed, but it was right near the site, was where the archeologists huts were during the excavation. It was on a number of ares of landscaped jungle with colorful plants and wildlife abounding. Our room cost about $100 and had a view of the observatory, and a big balcony. The restaurant was outstanding. Be sure to catch the sound and light show in the evening. Then, the next morning, go thru the ruins when it is cool and before the tourist rampage comes. By the way, I hear for about $50 or so you can take a short flight to the site instead of the long bus ride. Enjoy!

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 09:35 AM
Peggy

We just got back and loved the tour. Our tour was from the Cancun Line and the guides were very knowledgable and entertaining. It is well worth the trip to gain a little history and to learn about the country that you are visiting. (Otherwise go to Fla. - they have nice beaches!)