Search

authentic restaurants

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 11:35 AM
blue

authentic restaurants

could i have the name of some of the real authentic restaurants in Puerto Vallart where the Mexicans eat and is good food and inexpensive. Are there any markets around town that you could eat in also? (Clean and good)

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 12:02 PM
local food

Mexican people most often eat sitting on stools or standing up from the street stalls. In the El Centro and "old town" neighborhoods you'll find them everywhere. Pick one with the most people gathered around. Also vendors sell grilled corn on the cob, corn muffins, hot dogs, fresh orange juice, etc. This may not be the answer you're hoping for but I guarantee you, it's what's most "authentic"!<BR><BR>Walk around in the late afternoon or evening and take a look in whatever neighborhood you're in. Pretty much all the restaurants are open to the sidewalk. Just find one with a lot of Mexican people eating there! Normally a menu is posted but (if it's a local place) will be in Spanish and in pesos only.<BR><BR>The 'straw market' on the north bank of Rio Cuale (river) is a place selling tons of tourist souveniers. But on the 2nd floor you can find various food stands.<BR><BR>As for actual restaurants on Basilo Badillo you will see Mexican families at Freddy's El Tucan or up the street at Memo's House of Pancakes for breakfast especially on the weekends.<BR><BR>For a nicer dinner out Tino's Mariscos in Pitillal (neighborhood name) is a wonderful open air seafood grill where locals would go for a special occasion.

Old Apr 6th, 2002, 06:22 AM
mexicodan

Any where close to the main drag (Insurgentes) in south downtown PV.<BR><BR>My favorite place is Cafe de Olla just across from the beach on B. Badillo street. Tourist place but prices good and food very good!<BR><BR>adios!<BR>mexicodan<BR>www.mexicomexico.info

Old Apr 6th, 2002, 07:08 AM
JRinPV

Any place with a sign saying 'Hoy Pozole' and the taco stands. A guide to the good ones here<BR>http://vallartainfo.com/streetfood.html

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 10:02 AM
local food

I checked my Moon Handbook and what I called the 'straw market' above is actually Municipal Mercado. They (guidebook) recommended the upstairs food stalls too. The building is on the northside, where the northward bound one-way bridge goes over the river, across from the Liz & Dick statue!

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 10:41 AM
PVrestaurants

Excellent Mexican food (sorry, these aren't particularly where Mexicans eat and are not particularly inexpensive): The Red Cabbage, Cafe de Olla, Las Cazuelas.<BR><BR>

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 02:15 PM
Brad

Red Cabbage Cafe is outstanding and authentic and cheap! Law Cazuelas is the most authentic and best Mexican I've ever eaten, but it's pricier... $30-35 per person.