Reload this Page >

Is A Passport Necessary For Costa Rica?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 08:18 AM
Jay Weinstein

Is a passport necessary for Costa Rica?<BR>And if not, what is necessary?

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 09:45 AM
Bruce

Some of the travel books imply that U.S. citizens can get by with driver's license and the like, but the passport seemed to keep things pretty smooth. I'll check the books (if I remember!) when I get home.

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 01:51 PM
Tia

Jay:<BR><BR>I have read that you can get by with a birth cert. with a raised seal, however when we went in March we opted to get our passports which worked really well for us. Not to mention, that we were required to show them for cashing travelers checks and we had to use our pass port number when checking into our hotels while we were there. I have traveled with just my birth cert. before, but it's much more of a hassle in my opinion. Just my thoughts on the question!! <BR><BR>Tia

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 08:30 PM
David Cook

I don't recommend you try going without a passport, it will be too much trouble. We were asked to show our passports almost everywhere- airports, hotels, banks, etc. and this was before 09/11. Go ahead and get one, its worth the time and cost.

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 05:53 PM
Barbara

Bring a passport Jay.<BR><BR>As everyone states, hotels and just about everyone else will always ask to see your passport. However, I was able to check into hotels with just a driver's license. <BR><BR>A passport will make your entry into and out of Costa Rica much easier.<BR><BR>Also, not all birth certificates are created equal. In fact, to even get a passport, you need to have a <BR>'certified' copy of your passport--a raised certificate will not suffice.<BR><BR>I think you have mentioned in other posts that you want to keep things simple, as you won't be there a very long time and have a lot planned to do with your mom and sister while there. Why risk it?<BR><BR>This sounds like your first trip out of the US... A passport may ensure that you have many more other adventures!!<BR><BR>Get one, it will be worth it!!

Old Jun 15th, 2002, 05:26 AM
Robbie

If you call the Costa Rican consulate nearest you they can explain what it takes to get here without a passport.<BR>Actually hotels can accept your driver's license and if you have an ATM card that works here and don't need to use the bank you will be ok without a passport. We see some people who do enter the country with a picture ID and a Certified birth certificate. It is a good idea to have a passport, though, and I definitely recomend it. If for some reason you had your other ID lost or stolen you might have a hell of a tme getting out of the country. The new passport system in foreign countries has an 8 day wait as all passports are made in the US now. And if you didn't have a passport to begin with you might really get caught in the red tape and hassle of the consular system. Yee gads, horrible thought!

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 07:04 AM
pjr

Jay:<BR><BR>I usually check out the state department web site: http://www.state.gov/index.htm<BR>Under travel and living abroad, more, visa services for americans. They list all the countries and what you need to get into the country.

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 12:11 PM
Rae Ellen

As everyone else said, go with the bother and expense and get the passport.<BR><BR>2 years ago, when my boyfriend and I went for the first time, we had been assured that all we needed was drivers licence and birth certificate. When we got to the airport in Boston, the ticket agents weren't going to let us on the plane!! I argued the issue and when they found a supervisor to consult he OK'd it, but that was after our stomachs hit the floor and our hearts were in our throats--thinking our long-planned vacation was DONE!<BR><BR>Get the passport for your own sanity.

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 07:20 AM
Ally

Agree with everyone about getting a passport. The first time I went to Costa Rica in 1993, I didn't have one. I was told to step out of line at the customs desk to fill out a 'tourist card' then had to get back in the line. It was a hassle.

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 08:23 AM
Karen

I've read several places that the American government is really recommending everyone get a passport.It does really make everything less complicated at both ends of a trip no matter where you go.