Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

International v. Municipal Airport to San Pedro?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23rd, 2004, 07:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are 4 adults. Since it is half as much to fly from San Pedro, we are planning to fly from Municipal. Supposedly the taxi is less than $30 for all 4, and it is less than 30 minutes. It is going to be on Saturday, January 15 around 1 pm. Anyone has had any problems doing this? Is it too much of a hassle? Any comments appreciated!
Old Nov 23rd, 2004, 07:55 AM

The taxi should only be US$20 for the four of you, unless you have a ton of luggage. It's not much of a hassle to transfer between airports and will save you a good bit of money.

--Lan Sluder
Old Nov 23rd, 2004, 03:54 PM

Since we're planning a trip to Belize, I'm curious about this post. When you say "Fly from Municipal", what exactly do you mean (are flying out of the country, to and from Ambrgriscay, or ?). Sorry for not being familiar w/ the Municipal airport but the only international flights I find have us landing at International. Thanks!
Old Nov 23rd, 2004, 04:43 PM

Belize City has two airports, the Phillip Goldson International airport, where your international flight will land, and municipal airport, which is tiny. Flights to San Pedro from Municipal are about half the cost of flying from International. Prevailing wisdom is that if you have a group of four, it's worth the hassle to take a cab to Municipal because the savings will be substantial. For my husband and I, we'd rather just hang at the International, have a drink at Jets Bar and be in San Pedro that much sooner.
Old Nov 23rd, 2004, 05:10 PM

Gotcha. Are water taxis worth considering? While cost is one factor, I thought the water ride might actually be an enjoyable trip in itself.
Old Nov 23rd, 2004, 05:14 PM

On a nice sunny day, water taxis offer a reasonably pleasant though fairly crowded 75-minute ride to San Pedro for US$14 per person. Most people prefer to fly (20 minutes or so, US$26 from municipal) and the view from the airplane is great. Since you're a diver, you'll have plenty of chances to experience boat rides.

--Lan Sluder
www.belizefirst.com
Old Nov 23rd, 2004, 05:36 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice!