Search

Shuttle to San Ignacio

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8th, 2009, 09:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shuttle to San Ignacio

I have been reading the Forum for a while now and haven't really pinned down if there is an inexpensive shuttle to San Ignacio. The Moon Handbook (sorry Fodors) says there is a San Ignacio Shuttle but when I go to the website, it's very non-descript. Can you take luggage on the buses?
Thanks,
Tdiddy
Old Mar 9th, 2009, 07:28 AM

It's easy to taxi from the airport to the bus station ($25US) and grab a bus from there. Mostly they stop along the way; the express buses stop only in Belmopan so don't take an express if you're wanting to get off at the zoo. The buses are old yellow US school buses. You can travel by bus with luggage but it's likely to be put in the back; good idea to keep your eye on it as much as possible. I HIGHLY recommend that you travel really light - just a loosely filled carry-on; you might be able to keep it with you if that's the case. Check out www.onebag.com and let me know if you're interested in packing lists.

There are no low cost shuttles in Belize like you can find in Guatemala but there are shuttles available if you'd rather go that route. I think $80US would be a good rate, from my recent research. The San Ignacio Shuttle was operated for a year or 2 by John, Judy, and Tino, the owners of the Trek Stop west of San Ignacio. If you can't come up with a good shuttle option through your lodge let us know - I have a few names I could give you.

Happy trails and keep us posted!
Old Mar 9th, 2009, 03:08 PM

Yesterday I took a shuttle from San Ignacio to Belize Airport both of them for $25.00. It was booked though PACZ Tours in San Ignacio. They look like they run tothe airport lots. They are only open during the busy season, our drive said they shut down for the off season. I have taken the express bus from Belize City to San Ignacio but it is anything but express as it stops all the time. It was standing room only and they did jam my wifes pack behind the back seat but my pack was on my knee for the 3 hour ride. PACZ is not the only one to offer shuttles to the airport the other companies Mayawalk Tours wanted $50 as well as most of the others. Eva's resturant does have a tour desk that has shuttles Max there is a nice guy.
Old Mar 9th, 2009, 05:42 PM

Good information Stairgod - thanks!
Old Mar 9th, 2009, 10:44 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all for your responses. I did find a driver today named William who goes from the airport to San Ignacio for $45US. Since he picks you up at the airport you would save the $25 to Belize City. Has anyone heard of him?
He was very responsive in his email.
Thanks again
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 06:00 AM

I haven't used him but have read posts of people who have. I emailed back and forth with him and he was very friendly and responsive. We've chosen other outfits because there are 8 (and for 1 trip 10) people in our group. And, of course, we'll take buses when we can - love those bus trips!
Old Mar 11th, 2009, 08:47 PM
Original Poster

Thanks hopefulist,
I know this is off subject but have you had an experience going from San Ignacio to Tikal? We aren't going with a group but plan on making it to Tikal by ourselves. There seems to be a number of way to go. Have you done this?
Old Mar 12th, 2009, 05:52 AM

Yep, in 2003 as a family of 5. You just have to taxi or bus to the border, change money with the money changers (easy to do, just know a good exchange rate ahead and be careful; we changed more at the Jaguar Inn where we were staying when we found we didn't have quite enough), cross out of Belize and into Guatemala (2 steps), and hire a taxi (usually an older mini van) on the other side. It's usually cheaper if there are more of you; we paid $50 each way for the driver to take 5 of us to Tikal in the morning and pick us up the next afternoon for the ride back.

It's possible to catch a bus just across the border but be mindful that the buses aren't heading to Tikal but to Flores; the closest you'll come to Tikal is El Cruce, an intersection maybe a half hour away from Tikal so you'd have to get off there and hope to catch a ride with a passing shuttle. You could also look into transportation only tours through your lodge or Pacz Tours or Mayawalk.

I hope you're planning to stay at least one night - so amazing to explore the ruins and jungle in the cooler evening and early morning hours when the wildlife is abundant and you practically have the place to yourselves. If you have time you could stay a night in the park and a night in Flores, then bus from there to Belize City (if you're heading that way) with Linea Dorada for $25.

Lots of photos and recommendations below if you haven't checked them out (just ignore if you've already seen them). There's a Tikal set in the Guatemala 2007 collection as well as the Belize collection. Happy trails and keep us posted!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/staceyholeman/collections