Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Info regarding Ferry's, Montezuma, Mal Pais, Cobano, Cabuya etc.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1st, 2005, 05:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just returned from Costa Rica. Now I want give back info that I have received reading all of these posts before I went. Spent a week in Montezuma and Mal Pais. Took ferry from Punteranas to Paquera. Lay the questions on me..
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 06:52 AM

Thoid-

We will be going to Malpais and Montezuma next month. Where did you stay at each place? Any activities or restaurants that you would suggest?
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 08:18 AM
Original Poster

jlh370- We rented a house in Montezuma and did day trips to Mal Pais. We had a great time at the beaches there. Less crowded, good waves etc. I would suggest a nice open air pizza bar at the end of the beach access road directly accross from "Frank's Place." Good clean place, good parking, the people who run it are very nice. They take american $ but no credit cards.
Montezuma has several places, we didn't eat dinner there, but went to "chico's" a few times. There are alot of places to discover.
I must say we loved Mal Pais. I would look into the "Blue Jay Lodge." We would stay there if we go to CR again.
Let me know if there are any other questions I can help you with.
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 08:36 AM

Hi; We are Costa Rica bound in a couple of weeks, and I was wondering about the ferry's as we are driving from Playa Ocotal to Manuel Antonio one day. How frequent are the ferry's, is there any schedules, how much does it cost for a vehicle plus 4 people? Looking at Paquera or Naranjo ferry to Puntarenas.
Thanks alot!
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 09:03 AM

Ferry Schedule:

http://www.nicoyapeninsula.com/general/boat.html
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 10:16 AM

We're already on top of it. We are splitting our time between Blue Jay Lodge and Milarepa while in Malpais. Thanks for the tips!
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 03:47 PM
Original Poster

mtnparks: If you are driving a car,wait for the Ferry to dock and one of the workers (blue shirts) to give you a token (laminated card), once you have it you can get your tickets at the ticket office. Remember that the workers who work for the Ferry have dark blue shirts. Anyone who approaches you at your car if the ferry has not arrived is trying to scam you. We fell for it in Punteranas and the guy demanded a tip, he would not tell us where to get the ferry tickets because he wanted us to let him do it. The guy had a fake id and spoke broken English. Some of the info he gave was right, but he was holding out on us for a tip. In Paquera, we had no problems when we left.
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 07:07 AM

Thanks - great tip!