Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

HELP! Is it worth going all the way to Mal Pais or Montezuma?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28th, 2004, 03:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there, I'm planning a 6 night trip to Costa Rica (we are flying in and out of San Jose) and I have somehow gotten obsessed with going to Mal Pais and Montezuma!

From Frommer's (ooh! the competition!): If you're looking to visit Costa Rica's newest hot spot before the throngs discover it, head out to Malpais. Here, you'll find miles of nearly deserted beaches, great surf, and just a smattering of lodges, surf camps, and simple cabinas.

Frommer's on Montezuma: For years, Montezuma has enjoyed near-legendary status among backpackers, UFO seekers, hippie expatriates, and European budget travelers. While it still maintains its alternative vibe, Montezuma is becoming an increasingly popular destination for all manner of travelers looking for a quiet beach retreat surrounded by some stunning scenery. It's the natural beauty, miles of almost abandoned beaches, rich wildlife, and jungle waterfalls that first made Montezuma famous.

SO ... This is my first trip to CR... Is it too far to hit Mal Pais and Montezuma with the time we have? If we go there, is it possible to squeeze in Monteverde as well? Everyone seems to say we should go to Arenal/Monteverde/Tamarindo... Would we be missing out if we just scrapped it all and went to the Montezuma area?
Old Sep 28th, 2004, 04:56 PM

There is no "should"! Do whatever the heck sounds good to you! There is certainly nothing wrong with spending your time at MalPais--it is a beautiful area. When are you going?

We spent a few days in MalPais last March during Spring Break. Like you, we had a fairly short amount of time, and we specifically planned Spring Break at MalPais (although we ended up staying a couple of nights elsewhere, as well).

We liked MalPais, although we are not surfers. It is a surfing village and very laid back. That means a great place to relax during the day in a hammock on the beach. It also means that when the sun goes down at 5:45, that's pretty much it for the day. We were early to bed, early to rise. The beach at MP/Sta Teresa is beautiful. Being near Montezuma was definitely an advantage as we enjoyed a couple of day trips into town. We liked Montezuma, the waterfalls, and the nearby Cabo Blanco Reserve for hiking and viewing wildlife. From MP to Montezuma was a 45 min drive, however, and we didn't go back there for nightlife (which I'm sure Montezuma has plenty of).

There is usually rain in this particular area during the green season (mostly afternoons). We had been to this part of the country (as far as Tambor) on a previous trip. This time we were there during the dry season and it was hot, dusty, and brown.

Frommer's is correct. You will find miles of nearly deserted (and lovely) beaches. We loved walking the beaches particularly in the evenings and enjoying outrageous sunsets as well as watching the locals gather for futbol each evening on the beach.

These days there is more than a "smattering of lodges, surf camps, and cabinas". There are 2 very nice beach hotels--Milarepa goes for about $150 per night. Flor Blanca goes for over $200 per night. The food and restaurant service at Flor Blanca is reportedly excellent, but we checked the menu and decided it was out of our range! Oh, not really, but we've gotten into the habit of thinking that if we've paid $10 per person for a meal in CR, that's a splurge!

We stayed at Tropico Latino in the ONE beachfront cabina they have (loved the location). They advertise 2, but the other was directly behind us and didn't offer the unobstructed view that we enjoyed. It cost us about $90 per night (high season rate), and the food was okay. Breakfast was NOT included. We ate most of our meals in the little strip town at Frank's Place--or in Montezuma. There are very few restaurants to choose from. However, in Montezuma there are several good restaurants.

You might want to consider staying in Montezuma and just visiting MalPais. Depends on how much action you prefer the majority of the time! Keep in mind that Cabo Blanco is closed on Monday and Tuesday.

The drive to and from San Jose is about 6 hours (by the time you arrive at the ferry landing and wait about 30 minutes for the ferry). So you can figure 2 days of travel.

Hope that gives you more info to work with. It's a pretty cool part of CR!

Old Sep 29th, 2004, 06:43 AM

It's not that you would necessarily be 'missing out' if you went to Montezuma or Mal Pais/Santa Teresa, it would just be different. Most people say Arenal/Monteverde/Tamarindo is the thing to do because most first time visitors go to these places, along with Manuel Antonio. That is because you get to see more of what Costa Rica has to offer if going to these well traveled places, but Montezuma and Mal Pais are fun but laid back as well as beautiful. Montezuma will have more night life but the Mal Pais Surf Camp can be a lot of fun after dark with videos, a pool table, board games, darts, skate boards and a great pool. We had some good meals in Mal Pais/Santa Teresa at the Surf Camp, The Place, the Sunset Reef and a tiny place just across from Tropico Latino called Sambalas..or something like that. Really, you can't go wrong with any place in Costa Rica, so just make a decision which one suits you and know that you'll have a good time!
Old Sep 29th, 2004, 07:00 AM

So I've come to the conclusion that there are 5 places I want to go to in CR (Arenal, Monteverde, Tamarindo area, Manual Antonio beach, Montezuma/Mal Pais area) and yet I have only 6 days! I suppose the issue is what to do on my 1st trip and what to save for later... Thanks for reminding me that it'll be a blast no matter where we go, it's just a matter of deciding! Still... I wonder if there is a way to make a Monteverde/Montezuma trip work! We'll see. Thanks!
Old Sep 29th, 2004, 07:05 AM

Ooops, I forgot to say that I also am planning a trip to CR and have been looking at the Montezuma/Mal Pais area. It looks great, like a real surfing and funky area! But, I really want to do Monteverde also, so I'm not sure that we'll make it down to Montezuma. I've heard the same things you have, though, so I think it is definitely a place to check out....
Old Sep 29th, 2004, 09:30 AM

For a 6 day visit to CR (and the first visit), I would suggest Arenal and Tamarindo or Arenal/Manuel Antonio.

Monteverde is a day to get in and a day to get out, basically. You just don't have enough time THIS time--unless you want to combine Arenal/Monteverde and save a beach trip for later. That said, Arenal/Monteverde would make for a very nice experience. Just depends on how much you want to experience the beach.

Should you decide to go to MalPais, it would be wise to concentrate just on that area with perhaps 1st and last nights near the airport, depending on flight times.
Old Sep 29th, 2004, 09:40 AM
Original Poster

Yeah... I know... Either we do the Arenal/Tamarindo trip that most first timers seem to do or we focus only on doing Montezuma. Thanks all! And goodluck to others planning trips also... Guess I'll just have to start planning my 2nd trip to CR!
Old Sep 29th, 2004, 11:38 AM

You are right on. Multiple trips are necessary (unless you can stay a couple of months at a time!). It's why I'm going back for the 9th time in October--even for 5 days. We try to see a new area each time, although I must admit, most parts we like so much we keep returning just to enjoy them again! Just rest assured that you are going to have a very good time no matter what you choose!