Search

Inca Trail

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 04:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Inca Trail

I am planning doing the 4-day Inca Trail hike to Machu Picchu next May. What kind of hiking shoes/boots are best? If anybody has been there at that time of year, what was the weather like? Any special tips of what to pack or don't bother packing? Any info. will be greatly appreciated.<BR>
Old May 30th, 2003, 12:03 PM

We just got back from our 15 day trip to Peru. The temperature is about 17 C during the day but goes down around 7 - 8 C at night. On the trail, at the highest point at night it went down to -5 -6 C. Make sure you have good ankle support shoes/boots as you will need it when you are climbing down on day 3. If you were to bring your own sleeping bag, you'll need a 3 seasons one. Make sure you bring a blister pack with you and immodium for traveller's diarrhea. The hike is worth it. It's definitely not a walk in the park but do-able. Have fun!
Old Jun 4th, 2003, 11:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. We're looking at booking the tour with GAP Adventures - I think they provide the sleeping bag but if not, its good to know how cold it can get.
Old Jun 4th, 2003, 06:23 PM

We went with GAP Adventures also on the Inca Empire tour. First of all, they DO NOT provide you with a sleeping bag. Second of all, if you are booking a budget tour, expect problems with customer support from the office in Toronto. When we arrived in Cuzco, we had no hotel reservations for the extra night that we were in Cuzco even though it was pre-paid to GAP. To top it off, our tour leader had NO IDEA where we were or how to get hold of us. We of course did not know who our tour leader was so, had no idea that the group was staying at a different hotel than we were. Everyone in our group had one problem or another with the company.

Before you book, make sure you read all the itinerary on the website and check it frequently until the day before you leave for your trip. Their pre-departure booklet that they sent you when you paid your deposit is completely useless. To be fair, the tour leader, and the tour guides were exceptional.

If you have 2 weeks in Peru, you can easily manage this trip independently and would be a lot cheaper especially in May which is not a high season.

I hope this helps.
Old Jun 6th, 2003, 07:17 AM
df

Worldtraveller,
We just booked, and paid for our 15 day Peru trip with GAP for Sept, since we just returned from a hazzle filled trip to Italy. Since I am locked in, my questions are: We have paid for extra nights in Lima. Does not GAP give you vouchers for the extra nights. Secondly, our initial info says that we can rent sleeping bags. Since our 3 season are so huge, this would be our preference. Finally, I've already had an experience with the Toronto office, so I would appreciate any further insights that will help our trip.
Thanks

Old Jun 6th, 2003, 01:09 PM

If your extra night is in Lima, chances are you will be OK since that's where you will meet your tour leader. We opted to stay that extra night in Cuzco to acclimatize, they gave us a voucher the that night but, we didn't have reservations for the 2 nights that we were supposed to be in Cuzco with the tour. The reason was they put us in a different hotel than the rest of the group. Since our tour leader couldn't find us, we have no place to stay!
You can certainly rent sleeping bag for the 3 nights camping very cheaply. Just keep in mind that not all of their sleeping bags are 3 seasons. Most of the people in my group got a 2 seasons and they were not warm enough.
Our experience with the Toronto office has not been very positive. Every time I called for information, they refer me to the pre-departure package or their website or they suggested that we should consider booking the comfort class tour which would cost more but they do not include hiking the Inca Trail. However, their website wasn't up to date. Initally, the price of our tour was $1770 CAD which does not inlcude internal flight from Lima to Cuzco. We had to pay an additional $190 US for that if we want them to book it or we can book it ourselves. Well, we were able to buy the ticket ourselves on travelocity for only $70 US. Then they went and change the price which included the internal flight plus $200 US pay to the local guide about 3 months after we bought our tickets without notifying us. Let's just say, it was a HUGE headache trying to get GAP to stick to their original price. Again, they suggested that perhaps, we should book the comfort class tour! Then they told us that we have to book that extra night in Cuzco through them which we did and they screwed up!
The other thing you should make sure you find out from the company before you go is the suggested tipping to the local guides, porter, cook... The itinerary suggested $35 pooled for the local guide and porters and $5-10/week for the tour leader. When we got there, the tour leader told us to give $25 for the porters, $20 for the local guide for the Inca Trail, $15 for the cook, and $10 for the junior cook. At that point most of us were too scared to ask what we were supposed to tip the tour leader! There were a few people in our group who were on a very tight budget and couldn't afford the discrepancy.

Old Jun 9th, 2003, 09:02 AM
df

Worldtraveller,
Thanks for the prompt reply. We chose the tour that includes all flights, which is why we had to tack the extra days onto Lima, rather than Cusco, which I would have preferred. I usually book everything independently, but this time I opted for an agent, since GAP would not give an internet break. My price problem was that due to the surge in Can dollar, the US price was $200 less. Thanks to a dedicated agent, they finally agreed that we could pay the US price, if we paid upfront, so we shouldn't see any price changes. I was disappointed that they wouldn't let me move my last night's room to the beginning of the trip, since we are paying for extra night's there, and thanks to a 1am departure, won't need the room at the end. I am disappointed that a company that has won international awards for hospitality has such a rigid head office. About the sleeping bag, thanks for the heads up. We will still rent, but will take our fleecy bag liners. About the tipping, I always do my own thing anyway. I'd much rather slip badly needed money to the low man when no one's looking, since he usually does more than his share of the work.
Your insight was greatly appreciated.