Search

I'm driving myself crazy

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8th, 2005, 08:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm driving myself crazy

We are planning a trip to Costa Rica for Christmas for a total of 8 days, going on the 22nd and returning to New York on the 29th. We're a family of four with two sons in their early 20's. I can't make up my mind about the three destinations I am interested in three and only want to visit two. Arenal,Manuel Antonio and the Osa Peninsula. I have been reading the forum and could use some suggestions. If we go to the Osa Peninsula and Manuel Antonio, am I duplicating sights, tours? Do we just go to Manuel Antonio and Arenal? The one thing that the boys want to do is sport fishing and from all the forums we can do that in Quepos?

Any hotel suggestions would also be appreciated.
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 08:59 AM

In all honesty, the Osa is my favorite place but....with 2 sons in that age range you might be better off in Arenal and Manuel Antonio or on the Nicoya. Manuel Antonio would have something for everyone as will Arenal. Arenal has hiking, windsurfing, fishing on the lake, horseback riding, great zip lines, great wildlife tours like Cano Negro. It has spas, white water rafting nearby and a live volcano! Tabacon, Lost Iguana, Arenal Paraiso, Montana de Fuego, plus many many more that I am sure you will hear about would be fine. There are places for every budget as well.

Manuel Antonio has surfing, swimming, the park of course, kayaking, horseback riding, sunset cruises and amazing sunset views from hotels. You can easily get to Quepos to go deep sea fishing, it is wonderful out of that area. We landed 16 sailfish as well as dorado, tuna, and others in one day. This was in March but fishing is pretty good along there most times of the year. We have fished out of a lot of areas along the pacific coast and that has been the best place for us. Costa Verde, Si Como No, Villas Nicholas, Tulemar and again, more that I am sure will get raves.

For something just a little different and about 1 1/2hrs south of MA is a place called Rafiki. It is a true South African style place with great food and very upscale tents with private bathrooms. Everyone I have spoken to who has stayed there (as well as my husbands first hand experience) has had nothing but great things to say. My husband saw a jaguarundi while there. It is a great place to go rafting from and might be a fun one night option before actually going to MA to stay. They take you out to the put in on the Savegre river and then you raft back to the lodge. Then it is party time. You could possibly tack it on the end of your time in MA also.

Gaialink is a good company to help you set up your trip. Check out their RioSPAraiso website.

Hope this helps
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 01:34 PM

I too was going to suggest MA & Arenal. There is just so much to keep everyone busy and to suit the wishes of each.

And according to what time you arrive and depart, you could very well be able to stay at both of these without an overnight in or near SJ.

We saved the Osa for a time that we could devote most of the trip to the area. I wanted to go every year, but there were so many other places on my wish list. Trip #4 we finally experieced the Osa and know we will travel there many more times.

Old Apr 8th, 2005, 03:25 PM
Original Poster

Dfarmer,

Where did you stay in the Osa Peninsula?
Old Apr 9th, 2005, 05:32 AM

Bosque del Cabo - 4 nights
Iguana Lodge - 2 nights