Iguassu--which side to stay on?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 05:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi!<BR>How difficult/inconvenient is it to stay on one side of the falls and cross the border to the other?<BR><BR>A local travel agent here in Atlanta wants us to stay at Das Cataratas because she says if we stay at the Sheraton on the Argentina side, we won't be able to go over to the Brazil side. We will have Brazillian visas, so I don't understand why this is so difficult.<BR><BR>Debbie<BR><BR>
Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 05:49 AM

Ignore the advice of your travel agent. In October, 2002 I stayed at the Tropical Das Cataratas and crossed the border a couple of times. It only took a few minutes to cross the border on each side. With a Brazilian visa there is absolutely no problem.<BR><BR>John
Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 06:00 AM

More info....<BR><BR>I flew into Puerto Igauzu, Argentina from BA, then took a taxi across the border to Tropical das Cataratas. I had my passport stamped and received an entry card since I was going back to the US from Brazil - it took about 5 minutes. The next day I crossed back into Argentina, spend the day, then crossed back into Brazil. No problems anywhere... Have fun, Igaucu is an awesome place. e-mail me if you have any questions.<BR><BR>John
Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 07:00 AM
Original Poster

Oh, John! I luv ya! That's just what I needed to find out and needed the info today. Gracias.<BR><BR>Where did you stay and do you recommend that place?? I want to skip the guide thing and sounds really do-able--do you agree?
Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 07:14 AM
Original Poster

Hello again, John!<BR><BR>Ignore the question about where you stayed, you told me--I just wasn't paying attention. Guess I should get bakc to work now, shouldn't I? <BR><BR>Did you like Tropical Das Cataras? Was it worth the cost?? I'm thinking that the Sheraton is better placed given that there are more trails on the Argentina side of the falls....What about the towns on each side? Should I weigh that in too?
Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 12:18 PM

The Tropical das Cataratas was a very good hotel and my room had a view of the falls - I paid about $100/night. I thought it was worth it. I think the Sheraton is a good choice also as you can easily walk to all the trails - and there are lot more trails on the Argentine side. You don't need a guide. If you want to go to the other side, negotiate with one of the taxi drivers and he will be glad to take you where you want to go.<BR><BR>About the towns on each side... Puerto Iguazu, Argentina is smaller than Foz Do Iguacu, Brazil and quieter, also.<BR><BR>John
Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 05:09 PM

Negotiate with a taxi driver to go to the other side? Be careful folks, it may be a usual practice but if you don�t have a visa you are breaking the law. Anyway, Debbie says she will have brazilian visa so there�s no need to worry about this.
Old Apr 26th, 2003, 06:29 AM

Just came back from Iguazu a couple of weeks ago. I recommend staying at the Sheraton because it is inside the park and the view from the falols view rooms is spectacular! Also the best walking trails are right there beginning at the hotel.

Have the front desk arrange a car to take you for the day to the Brazil side, for a tour of the park and lunch in Foz de Iguazu. No Brazil Visa necessary...........It costs 130 pesos for the day. You can also go to Paraguay 16km away for bargains on electronics, if you wish.

Enjoy the trip..........it is spectacular!
Old Apr 26th, 2003, 09:58 AM
RW

OWJ: As you've heard, it is simple to go from Argentia - Brazil. You can take a taxi cab from Puerto Iguazu (Arg.) or take a bus (we took the bus one way, cab back). BUT, I'd stay in Puerto Iguazu vs. Sheraton. NOt sure if you've made up your mind yet, but the Sheraton all by itself, whereas P. Iguazu is a nice, albeit very small, town. I stayed at the Hotel St. George, and it was an awesome value! It also have a very nice pool where everyone lounged at after spending a full day at the Falls. Depends on the type of traveler you are -- if you want the nice hotel, with the nice view and stay within the confines of the hotel, Sheraton ; if you want a budget option (around$20), small town, more social..think St. George Hotel (or another place in P. Iguazu).
The Falls are spectacular, anywhere you stay!!
Old Apr 26th, 2003, 02:58 PM
Original Poster

Hi RW,
Thanks for the info about the town of Puerto Iguazu. We booked the Sheraton and are paying a bit more than $20/nt--$100/nt for a falls view room. Live and learn! I figure we can take a cab into town and have dinner there one night--any recommendations?

Where else did you go on your trip? From Iguazu, I will be travelling solo to Buenos Aires (and maybe other spots in Argentina) so the budget options are exactly what I'm looking for. I'm in my late 30s and though I like hostel prices, I'd prefer to stay somewhere where I won't be viewed as ancient ;-)

Debbie
Old Apr 27th, 2003, 05:42 PM
RW

OWJ: After Iguassu, I went to BA as well, and even spent a few days in Punta del Este, Colonia and Montevideo. Frankly, neither really blew me away...Punta is quite a beach scene though. I stayed in hotels during the trip -- I stayed at a nice place on Libertad..I think it was $80 for 2 people...nice place, nice location.

Not sure there are any really good dinner options in P. Iguazu -- maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong...not sure if it will be the worth the drive, but at the same time, you want to get out of the sheraton compound. So, yeah, check it out -- and get some dulce de leche ice cream in town..
Old Apr 28th, 2003, 08:41 AM
Hoa

Hi Debbie , you will not regret spending the extra money for Sheraton , it is like a resort with golf , pool , live entertainments ,gyms ,games, shopping plaza ... excellent buffet breakfast( included with room) , they also have very nice afternoon spreads with bread ,cheese , litlle sandwiches ,cakes, pastries ,coffee , tea , juice... for only 10 pesos.You can relax by the pool ,eat , drink , while looking at the beautiful view of the falls( almost surreal).Dinner at Sheraton was ok , expensive for AR. but not for us compared to what you pay at home.Better for dinner , in town there's an excellent restaurant named La Rueda , great food and wine for very little money(all taxis drivers would know it) because that town Puerto Iguazu is very small , safe and has...nothing to do after dinner -pitch dark !-Foz de Iguazu (on the Brazilian side) supposed to be much livelier , bigger and very dangerous(someone said one murder a day ?).
Old Apr 28th, 2003, 09:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Hoa; thans RW. This message board is so helpful in planning a trip. I don't know how we managed before the internet!!

Happy Travels, All!
Debbie
Old Apr 28th, 2003, 08:36 PM

Hoa; thank you for your nice comments about my services. I am happy you had a great stay in Iguazu and will be glad to arrange other trips if you decide to come to Argentina again.