Search

Buenos Aires in December

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25th, 2005, 10:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buenos Aires in December

Our family (5 adults) is thinking of going to South America in late December? We have 8 nights available. We were thinking maybe 5 nights in Buenos Aires and 3 nights in rio de Janeiro? Any thoughts? Is five days enough or too much in BA? Is three days too many or few in Rio? Should we skip Rio and go somewhere else in Argentina or spend the whole week in BA?
Old Apr 25th, 2005, 01:39 PM

Hi, you could spend all 8 nights in Buenos Aires and have a lot to do. With the same token you could spend more than three nights in Rio too.
I do not know if money is a consideration but to star with you have to pay $100 us per person to get into Brazil if you have a US passport. Nothing to get into Argentina and on top restaurants , hotels and shopping are much, much affordable in Buenos Aires. Leaving this consideration aside I would vote for the 8 days in Argentina with a side trip to the Cataratas de Iguazu which are fenomenal . For this part of your trip I would recommend to buy a package air, hotel, tours from an Argentine travel agent.
Of course Rio is a beautiful city but I would leave a visit to Brazil with more days to spare.
Old Apr 25th, 2005, 02:19 PM

Unless something has changed since December, you have to pay $100 to get into Argentina also. In addition, you would need a Visa to go to Brazil ($60, I think). We paid the $100 fee for Argentina 2 years ago & I believe it is good for the life of the passport as we did not pay again on this trip, but fellow travelers who came this past December had to pay the $100 to enter the country as it was their first time.

I've never been to Rio, so I cannot help with that, but I agree with spending your time in Argentina and with taking the side trip to Iguazu. It is an amazing place. 2 full days there would be adequate though I would have liked more time to sit by the pool or at the bar (at the Sheraton) and just relax and watch the falls! (Again, part is in Brazil so you would only be able to view from the Argentine side. A lot of people only do this - or chance crossing the border w/o a Visa - instead of paying the extra money).
Old Apr 25th, 2005, 02:33 PM

You pay to enter Argentina? Is this true? This is the first I've heard of it. Usually there's a departure tax, which is the norm at most airports everywhere. But an entry tax (and I'm not speaking of a visa fee) is uncommon. Could this be clarified. Kathy
Old Apr 25th, 2005, 03:56 PM

I was in Argentina last December and did not have to pay anything with US Passport.
???? May be I missed something...
Old Apr 25th, 2005, 04:18 PM
dona

We were in Argentina this winter also and there was no charge for a Visa or Passport fee. When we were in Iguazu Falls and inquired about crossing to the Brazilian side we were told that this can generally be done without getting a Visa. All of the cab drivers can take you across. We spent 2 weeks in Argentina and 9 days of it were spent in BA -- we loved it and 9 days allowed us to see the city at a relaxed pace. We divided our time in BA staying in Palmero Viejo and Recoleta. I agree that you could spend 2 days at Iguazu Falls and the rest in BA. I don't think you need to book a package unless that is your preference. We got our air fare thru Cintia, but booked the Sheraton at the Falls ourselves thru the Sheraton website. It's easy to catch a cab and go to your hotel from the airport in Iguazu -- the Sheraton or others. Guides and tours for the falls can easily be arranged where you stay. We were there in December also. Be prepared for the intensity of the heat esp at the Falls. Have a great trip!

Old Apr 25th, 2005, 05:46 PM

There is no visa fee for U.S. Citizens staying 90 days or less. I have been traveling to Buenos Aires regularly since 2001 and this has been the situation at least since that time....

Old Apr 26th, 2005, 06:51 AM

OOOPS!!!!! Sorry! I was thinking Argentina, but we actually started our trips in Santiago both times! quot;>
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 07:14 AM

The beaches get busy a few days after Christmas and over New Year's Eve, especially in Rio. If you look today for a hotel on the beach in Rio you will likely find that there is availability up to the 27th or 28th and then after that it is booked up until a couple of days after the new year. I would consider going to the beach for the few days after Christmas, while the city dwellers are at home. Then go to the city when they head to the beach after that.
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 05:24 PM

Hi Doc04,

I have visited Buenos Aires about 15 times before I moved here. I also have hit Rio de Janerio 12 times in the past 3 years. I have visited just about every country in South America.

Here is my unsolicited 2 cents. If you are coming all the way down to South America, it's nice to hit two countries in one trip. It's facinating to see the differences in cultures, customs, languages and people. I have hit both Buenos Aires and Rio several times in the same trip. It's very easy and doable. The trip is a very short 3 hours (avoid TAM airlines as they have a stop over in Sao Paulo).

3 nights in Rio is fine. It's enough to hit the main attractions. Brazil is really a beautiful country and a totally different world than Argentina. I enjoy both countries and have hit both many times.

There are other areas in South America but honestly I'm not sure it makes sense. I wasn't too impressed with Santiago. I had a difficult time finding a really good meal in Santiago and the great restaurants that I went to (which weren't many) were expensive compared to Argentina. If you go, you should try Vina del Mar which was beautiful. I stayed in a wonderful apartment that overlooked the ocean.

If I were you, I would probably either hit Rio or better yet, hit Patagonia and the South of Argentina. It's really gorgeous down there. You can fly from Buenos Aires to Bariloche then take a transfer to Villa la Angostura. I really loved the South. Villa la Angostura was amazingly postcard beautiful.

If you go down there, email Mauricio Walter at [email protected] www.correntosotravels.com.ar He has a travel agency in Villa la Angostura and is perhaps the friendliest man I ever met in the travel business. He arranged my lakeview room for me and it was amazing!!

Also, a GREAT restaurant there is La Camorra. The address is Cerro Bayo 65 in Villa la Angostura. The stuffed mushrooms were to die for. Good luck and enjoy Argentina.