Search

Iguacu Falls hotels

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23rd, 2001, 10:41 PM
Madeline

Iguacu Falls hotels

My husband and I are traveling to Buenos Aires in March and also plan to fly to Iguacu falls for 3 days. I notice there are two major hotels in the falls area. Does anyone know which hotel is the nicer of the two or which offers the most to do for tourists?(the Sheraton Internacional Iguacu or the Hotel das Cataratas)

Old Feb 27th, 2001, 07:50 PM
Sharon Horne

Reply: We will be staying at the Hotel das Cataratas in early april for two nights to visit the falls. It is a brand new hotel, less expensive than the Sheraton but still rated 5 star and location is closer to the town which is very quaint and worth a visit. Our guide is a native Argentinian and his reasoning was that one could walk to the falls in fifteen minutes without paying an exorbanant amount more to be at the falls. The hotel can be seen on this website: www.abouthotel.com/argentina-hotels

Old Mar 6th, 2001, 06:06 PM
cecilia

We stayed at a hotel close to the cataratas and it was not that expensive to ride to them, besides the taxi drivers can work as tourist guides. There is not much to do in the hotels, I think the only difference would be the sight you get at night when you stay in a hotel by the cataratas. There is enough to see in both sides of the cataratas, the Argentina side and the Brazilia one. I would suggest you to see the Argentina's side first, both are great, but the brazilian is better in my opinion.

Old Mar 10th, 2001, 05:46 PM
Larry

Hi - <BR>There is a hotel which is right at the falls. It is called Hotel Tropical and if you call Varig Airlines they can book that hotel for you because the hotel is part of their chain. Location wise it is the best hotel. You can see the waters from the hotel. You can walk to the fallls in about two minutes or less. Word of caution: take insect <BR>repellent with you. There are some pesty little flies that bite you, at times, without you noticing. While you <BR>are there, you may want to visit the <BR>Itaipu Hydroelectric plant, the biggest <BR>in the world. Good luck.

Old Mar 11th, 2001, 05:01 PM
kam

We stayed about 20 years ago on the Argentine side at the Hotel das Cataratas. As I recall, we were advised to stay in Argentina because the Brazilian side is higher and doesn't give as good views of the falls. This was before the dam was built and one could take a rowboat with guide out to sit on the rocks at the edge of the falls. I'll never forget that experience or the beautiful parrots at the hotel. I hope it still exists, it's certainly not a new hotel.