Search

I`m here in San Jose right now.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28th, 2007, 05:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I`m here in San Jose right now.

Hello from Costa Rica

it is beautiful. Our hotel is surrounded by mountains and i canīt believe the flowers that are everywhere, in full bloom. The traffic is crazy and they drive like they are in rome. sorry about the bad typing but this keyboard came after the wheel and some of the keys really are not keys. I have been trying to get on this computur for 3 days, itīs either down or being used.

We traveled 3 hours into the mountain to help build onto a church. We dug a six foot hole in the ground for the outhouse and sanded and painted steel to be installed. remember iīm with 11 teenagers, who by the way are working their butts off and doing a great job. after sweating like pigs all day our guide took us to a mountian stream and it was awesome. the water was cool and clean. we had a blast jumping off the huge rocks into the stream. which the current was so strong it took up down river. We could see the fish in the water which freaked out some of the girls.

i will write more later. god bless you all.
theresa in Costa Rica
Old Mar 28th, 2007, 06:12 AM

Theresa,

So glad you arrived safely and are savoring your first taste of beautiful Costa Rica.

The gorgeous flowers, with their profusion of colors, are one of my most visually vivid memories of my long-ago years down there.

Bless you and your young charges for the mission work you're doing. Have a fabulous trip and enjoy all the wonderful aspects of Costa Rica and her people.

I look forward to reading more of your posts.

Fran

Old Mar 28th, 2007, 06:13 AM

Theresa,

So glad you arrived safely and are savoring your first taste of beautiful Costa Rica.

The gorgeous flowers, with their profusion of colors, are one of my most visually vivid memories of my long-ago years down there.

Bless you and your young charges for the mission work you're doing. Have a fabulous trip and enjoy all the wonderful aspects of Costa Rica and her people.

I look forward to reading more of your posts. I can hardly wait for May to get here.

Fran

Old Mar 28th, 2007, 04:02 PM

We done a lot of mission trips from Alaska to Mexico, Colorado to Virginia. . .how I miss it! Always wanted to lead a group to Costa Rica! Maybe one day. . .

Have a blessed time--as it always goes with these trips, seems we receive more from our host than we give, although we go thinking it will be the other way around!

Enjoy the beauty!
Old Mar 29th, 2007, 04:29 AM
Original Poster

floridafan and shillmac Thank you so much for your blessing's. I need it about right now. My body feels like it got ran over by a mack truck. I'm not young chicko anymore and digging is something I forgot will make you hurt like crazt the next day. I got out of bed and the back of my legs were killing me. I hobbeled around the first hour of the morning but by the time we left for our next project I was OK.

No slave labor today. We did reach out to the children at a small church 25 miles outside of Cartaga (I may not be spelling that right)the surrounding area was so beautiful It could make the atheist believe. Onion fields everywhere and we bought strawberries that were so good. Worked with children all day and I wanted to take them all home with Me. We made crowns, picture frames and played soccer. One of the leaders brought a printer and we took pic's of the kids and they made a frame for it. We also took pic's of the kids with their moms%grandma's and it was fantastic to see their faces light up. Most of them don't have pic's of themselves let alone one of the family.
Me, My BIL and another student wandered into the village and got a pizza. It was Awesome. Cheese only and it was huge. It cost us approx. 6.00 US. It was so good.

I'm catholic (the group is not)and I'm getting the chance to see all the prep before Easter in the churches and it is a lifetime experience. They are scurbing the churches from top to bottom.

OOOOps gotta go. I will write more later.
God Bless you all....Theresa
Old Mar 30th, 2007, 04:20 AM
Original Poster

We were up and running Thurs. morning. But not before going to the store up the road buying a cart full of grociers to take to the village we were going to visit. I wish I had a video of me pushing the cart along the pan/american highway back to the hotel. Only about 100 feet was paved. I kept singing to myself "if that ant can move that rubber tree plant". I think the guy at the store that checked me out thought I was crazy. As he'd add up the food, I'd see what was left over (the collonies are confusing)and run and buy some more stuff. Baby food isn't cheap here and either is diapers. Funny, got pee'd on yesturday by a little baby, It was so cute, big deal. I know the momma's will be happy about the diapers. After pushing the cart down the dirt road and getting beeped at a hundred times, I had to push it up the handi/cap ramp. I parked that sucker in front of the door and had breakfast with the kids. Let me just say, RICE IS HEAVY!

The town we went to today was busy, busy,busy. When the kids seen our bus pull up they all ran home, cleaned up and got their mom's to walk them down to the construction site we were on.
Finally after we finished painting, digging trenches and cleaning up (I may have red fingers for a long time)we let the kids come into the church down the street. We had a puppet show (more like a kung fu movie gone bad)and bible reading it was time for fun and games. What a time we had. We had the kids make crowns and then took pictures again of them and whoever else they wanted in the pic. More and More families showed up to have their pic taken. The kids were so happy and loving. They loved to be held and carried around. I brought make up packets for the Mother's and they were a huge hit. We had those little balls you bounce on your feet (I can't think of what their called) and they went crazy for those. And of course the food was very much appreciated. I let the church pass it out to the neediest. Look like everyone was very needy. I will put pic's online as soon as I get home. We had to drag the kids out of the church from the kids. There were tears on the bus when we left.

More later, gotta start knockin' on doors to wake up the bunch.

Whole Lotta Love out of Costa Rica.
Old Mar 30th, 2007, 08:00 PM

I'm feeling your soreness!

Keep having a great time, and thanks for keeping us "posted"!
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 10:57 AM

Bless you all for your giving hearts and bodies!