Search

I can't decide. Need help!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5th, 2009, 10:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't decide. Need help!

Going to Belize and have narrowed down the Jungle part of trip. Staying at Cave Branch and doing Tikal, Cave tubing, Zip linning and ATM cave.

Now the Ocean part is sooooo confusing.....

Husband needs at least 2 days fishing with Boat. Need 2 days Good snorkling and would be nice to be somewhere we could kayak out to reef. We kayak A LOT and fish and snorkleing from the kayak is just what we do. Looking at Thatch Caye as one option for kayaking out to reef ect but can't tell.
Looking also at Ambergris Caye as a stop too. Husband likes to walk to town and needs a good bar LOL.

We wouldn't mind splitting up locations on this part of trip just for the different experiences.

Any suggestions?
Old Jan 5th, 2009, 11:25 AM

Best snorkeling from shore will be the outer atolls, Glover's, Thurneffe, Light House.

South Water Caye might be another good choice, spendy and no town but would be great for fishing, kayaking, snorkeling from shore: http://www.southwatercaye.com/home.html

My husband prefers to fish without a guide so can't help with that part.

Maybe you could spend a few nights on an atoll or South Water and a few on Caulker or Ambergris before heading home. Keep us posted!
Old Jan 5th, 2009, 01:06 PM
TC

As far as I could tell there is no kayaking out to the reef from Ambergris. The boats had to go through a "cut" in the barrier reef and it was very hairy -- even in a dive boat!
Old Jan 5th, 2009, 01:45 PM
Original Poster

Thank You hopefullist.
How did your husband fish? Can you fish from shore? My husband fishes like I bird watch. He marks off species on his list. Anything will make him happy, but I know he likes to reef fish and you need a boat for that. Can you kayak to the flats for bone fish?

After doing more looking, I think we will just do snorkeling guided tours out to Sharks Alley and Hol C.
From waht I am reading, snorkeling from the shore of even the atolls doesn't compare to these outings.

I still want to be able to sea kayak around the cayes though.

Thank You TC for letting me know this can't be done at AC. I think we will use AC or Caye caulker for a couple days and include the snorkeling on tours while there.

Still leaning towards Thatch Caye for kayaking around. i hope someone that has been there still comes to this forum.

Between AC and Caulker.... Does Caulker have a town too that has a store and bar?
Old Jan 5th, 2009, 02:28 PM

There are several properties on Ambergris that rent kayaks. Xanadu and Ramon's to name a couple. Ramon's is very close to downtown, lots of boat traffic. Further south (a little over a mile) is where Xanadu is located.

My condo is close to there and my neighbors kayak out to the reef at least once a week to snorkel.

Google Belize Snnowbird to see her blog, lots of pics of their snorkeling adventures.

I prefer Ambergris to Caulker, it is busier, but still way more laid back than most places that I've traveled. The beaches are considerably better on Ambergris. It's also larger, you can walk for miles along the beach and bike even further.
Old Jan 5th, 2009, 02:35 PM
Original Poster

Thank You jeanH. I have been looking at Xanadu. Seems to be recommended by a couple Jungle resorts I have been emailing with.
I think we will go with AC as husband likes to walk into town and just wonder. Caulker sounds better for me as I like REMOTE... but if going to Thatch.. I win there Have to let him bar hop. He likes to wonder and talk to people. If kido and I call it a night, he will have something to do. Walking bike riding is fine with us. Don't need the golf cart. Xanadu is about 1.5 miles from town?
Old Jan 5th, 2009, 04:56 PM

Xanadu isn't quite that far from town, maybe 1 1/4 miles. It's a pleasant walk, we do it a couple of times a day it seems when we're on the island.

There's a newer (opened this past summer) beach bar at the resort just north of Xanadu. I haven't been yet, but here good things about it. Noise isn't an issue either, from what I understand.
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 01:23 PM
Original Poster

Thank you JeanH. I have narrowed down AC to Xanadu. Now just ahve to make that final choice between it and Caulker. Oh to have enough time to include everything.
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 03:15 PM
Original Poster

Also I made a post at the other board about Tobacco Caye.

I am almost tempted to rent a boat and Caye hop! Ever heard of that being done or of a company that does it?
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 05:34 PM

There are a couple companies that charter sail boats (catamarans). TMM is one, can't recall the name of the others.

When we were on Tobacco Caye, there was a large group of young people who had anchored off shore (three boats) and had come ashore for drinks at the beach bar. Towards the end of the afternoon, many had gone back to their boats, the ones that were left were scrambling to pay for their $250.00US bar bill....
Old Jan 7th, 2009, 11:20 AM

In 2003 we spent a week onn Glover's - snorkeling is absolutely world class and my husband and one of our sons fished their brains out. They had to kayak to the next little island over to find bonefish flats, landed some bonefish and a small barracuda and lots of grunts. We're heading back there this summer and will also spend 4-5 days on Caulker; he may have to hire a guide there to get to the flats - haven't figured that out yet.

If you haven't checked out Thatch Caye on the Thorntree Forum or the Belize Forum, give it a go. Happy trails!

http://thorntree.lonelyplanet.com/ca...s.cfm?catid=12

http://www.belizeforum.com/belize/

My photos: http://flickr.com/photos/staceyholeman/collections
Old Jan 7th, 2009, 11:59 AM

Thanks for mentioning Thatch Caye. I'd somehow missed that when I was initially researching my trip. The place looks great! We currently have a condo on Caulker booked but I'm very tempted to switch. Not quite sure we can swing it especially since there are 4 of us instead of 2 now but I've contacted them to check availability. When are you going?
Old Jan 7th, 2009, 02:19 PM
Original Poster

I am already emailing with Thatch Caye.

I am now emailing with Slickrock on Long Caye, Glovers atoll. That looks perfect for what we are wanting. Reading their site and the reviews, makes me want to be there.

Husband says he will forgo the bar hopping to, to go there. LOL
He is social and it sounds like you make friends with all the others there.