HURRY! HELP! Cabo San Lucas transportation cancelled

Old Jun 15th, 2008, 09:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HURRY! HELP! Cabo San Lucas transportation cancelled

HI, I leave for Cabo in three days. The transfer company just called last week and said there is a big conflict going on between the transfer companies and cabs. So they can get us from the airport to our condo but NOT BACK to the airport.
How much should a cab cost us? We will be staying at the Las Cascades de Baja on Medano beach. We are told that cabs are the only ones that can take us to the airport according to this new law. We had one of our excursions cancelled because of it too!
Thank you!
Old Jun 16th, 2008, 07:47 AM

Don't know the actual rates since we've just rented a car the past few times in Cabo, but it used to be $38-42 from Finisterra (probably same to Medano) the last I remember, which has been a few years. It was always about $10 cheaper to return to the airport than to leave from it, probably the airport adds a departure tax on taxis.

Here's a site with info on cab fares, though I dunno how recent the numbers are ...
http://www.loscabosguide.com/faq_1.htm#taxiservice ... it says "Getting back to the airport from Cabo will cost about $55 to $90 for a private taxi. Most hotels offer shuttle service for a reduce rate." So probably $55 is for a small cab, $90 for a big van.

You can split this between how many ever people will fit in the cab so maybe chat up people at the hotel and try to find someone going back to the airport at the same time, or ask the front desk to arrange this for you.

Bill
Old Jun 16th, 2008, 10:13 AM

BTW the taxi cabs were always cheaper than the "tranfer companies" you mention using, usually by half. So maybe this is a good thing ...

Bill
Old Jun 16th, 2008, 12:00 PM

hayjax, have you tried contacting the resort? I own a timeshare at Villa Del Palmar, and we always book a shuttle, Cape Travel, through them. It usually runs about $40 per person, round trip.
Bill, we are going to Cabo in Feb and are considering renting a car instead of doing the shuttle thing...what arrangements did you make for car rental? thanks for any info.
Old Jun 16th, 2008, 12:40 PM

considering renting a car instead of doing the shuttle thing...what arrangements did you make for car rental?

We've rented from 2 or 3 different companies in Cabo and Vallarta (once in Loreto) and the one that was easiest to work with and seemed to have very good rates is National ... here's their site:
http://www.nationalcar.com.mx/ ... the price we were quoted, including taxes and insurance, was exactly what we ended up paying ... you can find lower quotes but then when you get there they say they didn't add in tax or insurance, so just make sure of what is included in the quote if you decide to rent.

We don't get a rental if staying in town, say Finisterra, but if staying in the corridor it's a lot cheaper than taking taxis, I feel.

Bill
Old Jun 16th, 2008, 01:20 PM

Thanks for the info! We stay at the Villa Del Palmar, the turn off is at the first stoplight as you enter Cabo San Lucas. We would like a car for possible day trips to San Jose AND for the all important CostCo run~we travel with teenagers........
Old Jun 16th, 2008, 01:39 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Your hotel front desk should be able to advise you about the cost and the best way to get back to the airport.
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 08:11 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice and prices with the cabs. Probably will see if we can stir up a group to go back to airport.
There is a new law that cabs cannot pick up at the airport-only drop off and transfer companies can only bring you to the resort from the airport and not pick you up for your return flight. We had a tour cancel because the tour company was also a transfer van and they aren't allowed to pick people up at hotels or condos. The lady said it is a mess.
Transfers for two ran $15--don't think it can get cheaper than that and it is a reputable company--got great reviews on trip advisor.
Can't wait to go. Will try and do trip report when I get back.
Old Jun 18th, 2008, 04:52 AM

I think it's $12 or so for the shared shuttle busses from the airport (depending on how far your hotel is). Nice if you're first off but a waste of up to an hour if they make four stops before reaching your hotel.

Bill