Hurricane Emily Coming Towards Belize?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14th, 2005, 04:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love San Pedro so much that after 5 visits so far this year we jumped off and bought a condo here.

Day of closing I mentioned to hubby - just our luck, finally own a slice of tropical paradise and watch, a hurricane will blow through. He said I was such a pessimist. Guess what? Hurricane is blowing through.

We've been down here all week working on renovations, supposed to leave Mon. Emily coming through probably Sun. Many are scurrying around moving their departures up but I think we're going to ride it out. I keep checking the storm path and seems to be now going more northward.

Anyone else down here? Staying? Leaving? Are we nuts to stay?
Old Jul 15th, 2005, 09:05 PM
Original Poster

wow - can't believe no replies to this post. Well, they're encouraging everyone to leave so we're heading out tomorrow.
Old Jul 16th, 2005, 06:14 AM

I'm guessing it's still too early to tell where it's going to hit. Most recent news today had it hitting a bit North of San Pedro on the Mexican Pennisula. Regardless, I'm sure San Pedro will will get rain (should be welcome since they appeared to be having a drought when we were there in June) and some wind (hopefully nothing severe). As with any hurricane, a slight change of course and it's a whole 'nother story. We'll keep our fingers crossed for you!
Old Jul 16th, 2005, 06:19 AM

I thought it was going towards just north of Cancun.
Old Jul 16th, 2005, 06:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Pumpy. We're packing up now. Locals here are boarding up and as I look out the window I can see the staff carrying everything that's not nailed down into the main buildings. Housekeepers just came by to clean up early because they're heading to the mainland too. I think everyone is really preparing for the worst - might be a little gun-shy since Keith in 2000.

Will post more soon if I can log on!
Old Jul 16th, 2005, 09:21 AM

good luck to you...
Old Jul 16th, 2005, 10:56 AM

CNN et al reported Emily a Cat 5 in the last hour or so.
The path looks true on to Cozumel/Cancun and the MX Gov't has ordered all tourists out.
M
Old Jul 16th, 2005, 01:04 PM

hightide - stay safe. let us know what happens
Old Jul 16th, 2005, 03:33 PM

The Cancun/Mayan Riviera area is one of my favorite places in the world. I just hope somehow the hurricane weakens and/0r drops into a less populated area....
Old Jul 17th, 2005, 08:35 AM
Original Poster

Just got home - what a wild day yesterday. We headed for the San Pedro airstip a little before 11 - had reservations on Tropic Air but as of that morning all reservations were null and it was first come first served. Line was enormous and no real information as to procedure.

We stood in the heat for a good three hours making literally 6 feet of progress in the line, dragging bags and gear and sweating our you-know-whats off. Thankfully there was a guy in line behind us making beer and water runs.

Since there was no clear info as to which line to wait in or what to do, I tried going up closer to the TA office door but there was a throng of people there just trying to get info also.

Hubby ran over to Maya Air and was gone for a long time but finally came back with boarding passes for the 1pm flight.

At 2pm we finally got on a plane, supposedly heading for Belize International (where our flight to the states was leaving in less than 2 hrs). They closed the doors, headed down the airstrip and pilot announces "welcome to your flight to the Belize Municipal Airport" WHAT? Stop the plane! No way of course so we sweated out the sweltering flight - ran off the plane into the office - no bags. Of course the bags made it to International, but not us. Oh wait, it gets better...

Standing at the counter, fornutately we got a Maya rep with some pull - he got on his radio, figured out where our bags were and said we could fly us over to International in 35 minutes (maybe) - 10 minute flight. No time for that. Taxi driver comes up and says he'll take us, 20 minute ride - we tell the Maya rep they should pay for the taxi and they agree.

Off in the taxi at breakneck speed - eyes closed and REALLY praying hard at this point. Man what a ride - taxi ride in Rome was a picnic compared to this one. Passing cars trucks and bicycles on left AND right side on small two lane road. Oh my.

Got to International, up to Continental desk - another line but up to front in about 20 minutes. Guess what? Reservations MIA. Seems that when we changed our flights the agent on the phone had us leaving on Fri. - not Sat. Guy at desk says - oops, you missed your flight, you were booked for yesterday and all flights are booked for today. ARE YOU KIDDING??? I had all the notes, conf. #, dates, everything written down (thank goodness) and was not leaving that counter without a boarding pass. He went back into the back room, comes back and taps on the computer some more, back into the back room (break time?) then back - FINALLY after (I kid you not) 55 minutes he had us on standby. We race through to security and customs/immigration and of course, there is only one departure form in our passports (two of us - need one for each) and they don't have them at THAT desk - only at the ticket counter. RUn back to ticket counter, frantically fill it out (no telling what
info I put on there) race through security and get to gate as last ones are boarding - they've already called for stand-bys. Hubby goes through the line up to the front and says we're either on that plane or else (don't know what 'else' would have been but would not have been pretty.) FINALLY they let us through, we board and think we can relax.

Flight goes okay but late getting in so at Houston we race through the maze of tunnels, trams and lines, get through customs, no bags. They we're re-routed, natch. Wait 20 minutes, bags come, race again to recheck and clear immigrations, literally run to gate as they're closing doors for our connecting flight to home.

Finally arrive at 11pm, still have an hour and a half drive to home so decide to stay at airport hotel and come in next morning. (This morning).

Once our heads hid the pillow slept for 9 hours straight - hard bad bed with flat excuses for pillow but no prob at this point.

Drove in this morning and now here at home sweet home. God is good.

Now worried about what will happen to our slice of island paradise and friends we've made there.

Oh and one other thing - my sister and her hubby and three daughters are in Cancun right now and can't get out. I feel bad for even complaining about our adventure while they're still there...
Old Jul 17th, 2005, 09:13 AM

Hightide... I'm following your post with great interest since we're scheduled to arrive in Belize on 8/9/05. I'm so glad you're both OK. I can empathize with you because we, too, were escapees from hurricane Keith back in 2000. Let us know how your sister and her family are doing in Cancun. A friend of mine is currently in Playa del Carmen and who knows what's going on with them.
Old Jul 17th, 2005, 09:43 AM
Original Poster

Hi Treesa,
Actually sister and family were in Playa del Carmen also but they've moved them all to the Cancun Convention Center. Heard from them at 10:30 last night and so far no cots or blankets but generators, some food and water. They're bringing in supplies as possible but much of the support staff is heading inland. As of 2pm today, hotel zone and airport in Cancun will close, no one in or out after that. Landfall possible tonight or early tomorrow morning. Many larger hotels in Cancun are designated storm shelters and will put everyone up in ballrooms that are above storm surge level.

As for your travel plans, who knows? I'd say plan for the best but just be weather-aware. Get trip insurance if possible as this is expected to be an active storm season. Odds are against another one coming towards that area but then odds were against 4 hitting Florida last year. Plan to go and have a wonderful time, just in case though, weather channel down there is channel 28!
Old Jul 17th, 2005, 06:46 PM
Original Poster

Just got a message from sister and her family. They are in a shelter - no ac but generator for light. All five on blanket size of bedspread. Hope to leave in the morning but no clue where to.
Old Jul 18th, 2005, 05:09 AM

Belize was spared. A few crashing waves in San Pedro and elsewhere on the northern cayes, but just a few drops of rain in Corozal.

--Lan Sluder
Old Jul 18th, 2005, 05:27 AM

Lan - Thanks for posting. A sigh of relief. I'm so sorry for the people of Yucatan.
Old Jul 18th, 2005, 08:33 AM

My husband and I are planning a visit to Akumal from July 25 - 29th (next week). Does anyone know anything about how conditions are there?
Old Jul 18th, 2005, 10:45 AM
Original Poster

Have been scouring the news reports and the message boards and thank goodness no damage. Seems worst hindrance to getting things back to normal will be un-boarding and waiting for locals, staff, workers, etc. to return so everything can get back on an even keel. Sounds like it will be Wed. or Thurs. before everything is back up and running but man, oh, man - could have been so much worse...

Still waiting to hear from my sister and her family but sounds like the damage in that area was more in the Cozumel area, not Cancun where they we moved too. Bad part is they were moved from Playa Del Carmen to Cancun so may be a mess for them to go back to....

Thanks to everyone for input and concern!