Search

Huatulco help please...

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2006, 10:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Huatulco help please...

I've searched and researched and am still confused. We've been all over Mexico and want to try Huatulco.We are 40ish, like beach action-palapas-waiters bearing cold beer. Walking distance to restaurants & shops & balcony's/terrace w/ocean view. What hotel/s should I investigate. AI is ok if not huge as drinks/breakfast & day snacks add up to the AI price for us-dinners can be elsewhere.Help, Help.
Old May 19th, 2006, 01:58 PM

http://www.galaresorts.com.mx/ingles/indexa-e.html

Sounds like you want the Gala Resort.

You can do the AI and then have dinner across the street in some nice seafood restaurants.

Also taxi's are cheap and you can go to the town of Santa Cruz..20 minute taxi ride.

A Bigger town is just a mile further called Le Crucecita.

The temp will avergae 100F !!
Percy
Old May 19th, 2006, 02:18 PM

Here is the website to the Huatulco Forum.

Ask any question you want here.

http://216.193.236.147/frm/list.php?f=15

Percy
Old May 19th, 2006, 04:03 PM

There are some fancy places but Huatulco is pretty rustic and rural. Las Crucecitas is a service town built for Huatulco and isn't much and doesn't have much character compared to most places in Mexico. I think Gala as above, would be about the best pick. The bays are pretty and there is some great fresh seafood you can have with your beer and coco locos.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 11:46 AM

AI. Ugh! Crummy buffets and surly "service". Ugh!

I'd much prefer the genuinely upscale Camino Real Zaashila or the Quinta Real, if I were inclined towards the Tangolunda Bay. Otherwise, I might move over towards Santa Cruz and stay in the Castillo or someplace like that, save a couple $$, and take taxis to better beaches (like Maguey).

I don't care for the beaches at Tangolunda anyway. It's a beautiful bay, but the water's choppy and the beaches are too rough for swimming. They're okay for things like jet skis, but jet skis are expensive on Tangolunda, and at places like Maguey, they're 1/3 the price.

Also, none of the hotels in the Tangolunda area are really "walking distance to restaurants & shops". Sort of. Kind of. If there were actually more than 1 store and 2 restaurants to walk to...

Almost all the viable stores & restaurants are in La Crucecita or Santa Cruz. (Which is really more like 5 minutes from Tangolunda....not 20). Dude is right...La Crucecita doesn't have much character, but I guess that's what happens when you build a resort destination from scratch.

Just my 2 cents...
Mark
www.tiogringo.com
Old May 22nd, 2006, 07:53 PM

Here are some tips about going to Huatulco:

1. If you want to see the Nine Bays of Huatulco then sit on the LEFT hand side of the plane when you arrive.

You will see all 9 bays much better than any ground tour you will ever take,as the plane make a nice tilt as he comes in over all 9 bays.

On your departure sit on the RIGHT hand side of the plane (window seat preferable).

My Travel Agent friend told me to do this and she was right.

2. If you want to take a boat ride , then don't book it from the hotel but rather take the short taxi ride to Santa Cruz... just ask
the
taxi driver to drop you off at the Marina.

Santa Cruz is not big so don't think you will get lost or anything. There is only one main street.

At the marina there are lots of choices for a 9 bay boat ride and the hawkers will be there eager to take you.

3. If all you want to see is the 9 bays then make sure you are not on a Booze Cruiser.... unless you want to drink away while the Catamaran is bobbing up and down over the water....

and people are nauseated and some may be vomiting.!!

This is the Booze Cruise...just know what you want and what you are getting.

4. If you are going to do any shopping or browsing about...then first ask at your hotel WHEN is the next Cruise ship coming in.
Why!!!

Because the Mexican shop owners put all the prices to double and triple as the cruise ship arrives.

I asked the lady in a shop on the beach in Santa Cruz, "Why are taking those t-shirts down"?
( The t-shirts were 3 for $10.00 US)

She turned to me and my wife and smiled and said "Cruise ship coming".... sure enough, my wife pointed out the cruise ship in the distance.

The t- shirts were now $15.00 each.!!

Ahh!! isn't it nice like quickly the Mexicans learned about Capitalism!!!!

5. Okay now if you want to taste the best ice cream in Mexico....and who doesn't when the temperature is over 100F.

Well, you taxi over to Le Crucecita.
There is a nice plaza square in the centre of town.

As you are standing in the square look straight on at the lovely church across the street called "The Virgin of Guadelupe"..if it is open walk inside and feast your eyes !!!

Okay now from the square(centre plaza) walk straight to the church...cross the street....you are now standing on the sidewalk in front of the church.

Now turn to your RIGHT and walk 2 blocks down the sidewalk.

You will come to this nice little white hotel called Mission de los Arcos...well on the corner on ground level in the same buiding as the hotel is the Ice Cream Place.

Get some ice cream and sit on one of the side walk table and people watch.

6. If you are taking a taxi from Tangolunda Bay ( where the resorts are), to Santa Cruz or to Le Crucecita .. then all I have to say is "HANG ON"... because they only know one speed as the wind up and down those hills and curves going to Santa Cruz.!!!!!

Percy

Old May 26th, 2006, 05:59 PM

To enjoy all the Huatulco has to offer: stay outside of town--La Villa Agua Azul B&B--there is a small beach within walking distance. On other days--take a taxi to a different beach each day--they all have something to offer. Spend the day, return to La Villa, swim in the pool, nap, etc. then take taxi into La Crucecita to enjoy dinner or a walk around the zocalo. Very enjoyable.