Manzanillo, Ixtapa or Huatulco?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21st, 2008, 07:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Planning a trip to mexico in April and are torn between Manzanillo, Ixtapa and Huatulco. We woild be coming from Nor. Cal. We are looking for a place that is not too family ( kid ) oriented, relaxing but still has some things to do besides sit around the pool. Also leaning towards an all inclusive place. The Barcelos sound pretty good for the price but the reviews are mixed but it sems to be that way for most of the AIs. I would really appreciate any input on these topics!
Old Jan 21st, 2008, 08:01 AM

Ixtapa- Very touristy with High rise hotels & Expensive with the saving grace of having Zihuatanejo but 5 miles away. Still a true Mexican fishing village BUT growing fast so hurry

Manzanillo- A peaceful quite beach area but basically an industrial port. Very Mexican especially the downtown but the beach area has a growing Gringo community. A nice place with Colima a couple of hours away with it's semi-active twin volcano's. Also near some lovely undeveloped beaches & the small beach towns of Meleque/Barra de Navadad.

Huatulco- Most remote least developed of the three but again no longer a secret & also beginning to grow.
Old Jan 21st, 2008, 08:30 AM

Stewbear has it about right. Have been to all three (Zihua, not Ixtapa). Especially liked Huatulco as we went to different beaches every day. We stayed at Agua Azul B&B which is outside of town but didn't have a problem using taxis. There is a small beach near the B&B with a planned beach club being built in 05--may be finished by now. In Zihua we rented a cabana above Playa la Ropa--very secluede but peaceful. Manzanillo (way back in '84) we stayed at Club Maeva.
Old Jan 21st, 2008, 12:47 PM

Have to agree with the other two posters.

I have been to all three.

Since you are leaning to an All Inclusive....
you could go to Ixtapa and enjoy Zihuatanejo( sort of like getting two for one!!, the tourist place of Ixtapa and the local's town of Zihuatanejo).

Manzanillo, like Stewbear said is a nice place and the tours from here I found were all great.
I stayed at the Las Hadas and then at Karmina Palace .

Huatulco...... with it's nine bays is less developed but that will not be for long.
There are several nearby towns that you can take a taxi ( cheap) to and enjoy walking about the town square and having Ice Cream.

When I was there last January it was 104 F !!! don't think it will be much cooler in April.

One good tour that I took from here was called, "The Real Mexico".
I hired a private guide and we drove into the mountains and visted the home places of the local people as they were still making tortilla the "old fashion way."

Then to another town called Santa Maria where we had some oven hot apple dumplings cooked in an outside domed oven.
then

into the country side to visit this lone man making Tequilla high on a hilltop with a full fire blazing in the 100+F heat !!!

Percy