Howard Johnson Hotel in Buenos Aires

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 18th, 2007, 04:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone stay at the Howard Johnson on Florida St in Buenos Aires? Would appreciate any info on hotel and/or location.

Thanks!
Old May 21st, 2007, 04:12 AM

I don't know anyone who's stayed there. I've walked by it, and it looks like it's relatively nice, but it's hard to say. I'd keep in mind that essentially you'd be staying at a hotel in a shopping mall. On the other hand, it puts you in the heart of tourist central...
Old May 21st, 2007, 04:27 AM

I have stayed there twice. The hotel was formerly a Marriott Courtyard, so it was built to a good standard. The rooms are decent sized but there is limited access to elevators and watch billing practices very carefully. I booked through the Argentina online service for a certain rate, which they refused to honor when I checked out. They told me those rates only applied to Argentinos, although there was no mention of this fact on the site. They produced a an English directory of HOJO hotels and rates as proof that I owed more. I agreed to pay the rate for Americanos provided they deducted the 15% AARP discount mentioned in the directory (this rate was actually US2 per day lower than the Argentino rate). In any case, I have not been back and would not go back to this property because of the attitude of desk people and problems with the elevator...
Old May 21st, 2007, 10:01 AM
Original Poster

drdawggy - Thanks for the heads up! I'm trying to narrow down the locations to stay.

- what's best, to stay in the Puerto Madero, microcenter, Recoleta? Everyone has provided great advise and I've read of good and bad experiences at all locations. I'm not too concerned with being in the center of town so much as BA has a great subway system.
Any recommendations on best neighborhoods to stay in?
Thanks!
Old May 21st, 2007, 12:19 PM

Puerto Madero. The subway does not run to Puerto Madero, at least on the side of the docks where hotels are located.

Microcenter. I have stayed downtown but it is not my favorite part of the city since it is the commercial center and many of those who work downtown during the daytime go home at night. Parts of downtown stay pretty active in the evening but parts are downright forlorn.

Recoleta. This area is a combination upscale residential and tourist area. I prefer this area to downtown...the distance is only about a six peso cab ride or .75centavos on the subte.

Palermo Soho. A trendier part of town with lots of samll boutique hotels, such as the Home and Bobo, and designer shops and some of the best restaurants in town. One neighborhood over from Recoleta away from downtown.
Old May 21st, 2007, 10:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks drdawggy......great advise.

know anything about the Wilton Hotel as well?

thanks
Old May 22nd, 2007, 06:06 AM

The wilton is a two star hotel in a five star location on Ave. Callao in Recoleta, not far from the shopping and transportation on ave Santa Fe.

I have stayed in an apartment in the same block as the Wilton and enjoyed the area a great deal. This said, the Wilton is probably 5-10 years overdue for a makeover. Tired carpeting, furnishings and air conditioning.

You might look at the Ayeres de Recoleta as an alternative hotel.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 02:17 PM
Original Poster

I tried the Ayeres de Recoleta, but they didn't have rooms available on or around my dates.

Any other suggestions in Recoleta?

Thank you!
Old May 22nd, 2007, 02:26 PM

HJ? You are joking, yes?
M
Old May 22nd, 2007, 05:05 PM

Stayed at Wilton Palace Hotel 3 times and found it OK (not lavish). It was an ideal location, clean, included basic breakfast, most front desk staff were friendly and bilingual and rate was moderately priced. No air conditioning was needed during stays so don't know about it not working well. If you are a light sleeper you should request a room off the street side since there is traffic all night in BA. IMO the furnishings were OK, but my concern is safe, clean and comfortable since I spend most of the time out of the room. There is a website for Wilton which will provide more information as well as photos. Another advantage, in addition to ideal location for cabs as well as walking to tourist sights, is an enclosed ATM directly across the street which has access 24/7. They were increasing their "business center" to add more and faster computers for free resident use. Would stay there again in the future.
Old May 24th, 2007, 10:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great advice everyone. I'm off to Buenos Aires tomorrow (25MAY07).
I'll be sure to post a trip report upon my return.

Thanks again!