Search

How Unsafe is Lima

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20th, 2006, 09:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How Unsafe is Lima

Hi..my husband and i have just booked a 10 day tour with Gap Adventures to Lima, Cuzco, Puerto Maldonado, Ollyantaytambo and Machu Picchu from Sept. 18 to 28th!!

Anyhow, we will have the first 2 nights free in Lima..So just how unsafe is Lima..I keep reading that it is not safe at all..Any experiences in Lima or advice for us??
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 03:21 AM

I stayed at the Angtigua Miraflores and walked through the Miraflores district without any safety concerns beyond being reasonably alert. I was warned not to take any cabs not called by my hotel, not to leave that district and to be careful out at night. I think there are a number of areas in Lima which are very unsafe, but with reasonable planning you can find interesting things to do safely for two days there. Ask for guidance on the area from GAP. Enjoy your trip, it sounds quite fabulous.
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 04:17 AM

I agree with cmcfong. We had a great time in Lima before our OAT tour started by exercising precautions. We stayed at Monte Real in Miraflores and walked around during the day without concern. We took only taxis arranged by the hotel and had them wait for us or pick us up at specific times. (Unlicensed taxi drivers have been known to take visitors to a secluded area to rob and beat them.)

Be sure to visit the small Museo Rafael Larco Herrera for its "unique" pottery collection (have the taxi wait).

But there were places our tour leader did not want us to go alone, period. One example is the Central Market. Even though it was a free day on the tour schedule, he arranged to take anyone who was interested, and brought with him a friend who's a police officer to discourage pickpockets.
Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 07:06 AM

i agree with all who responded. one day we hired, through the hotel, a guide to take us in his car for the day to tour the city and surrounding area. we had such a nice gentleman and very knowledgeable. we took him to lunch and had a great conversation and especially about this political views and just conversing in general with a local person. in peru everyone was so nice that we cane in contact with . the guide was not that expensive either. have fun!
Old Apr 23rd, 2006, 03:26 PM

I am headed to Peru in June with my mom and her two sisters. We start out in Lima for 3 days and then head to Cuzco for 7 days. I am 26 and love to party, but from the various trip reports I've been reading, it doesn't seem like a very safe idea to go check out the nightlife in Lima, especially as a group of 4 women. Any advice?

Also, my mom and her sisters LOVE to shop. Any advice on good places/areas to shop in both Lima and Cuzco?

Last thing, I am from Texas and am not accustomed to cold weather... should I plan on wearing jeans and long sleeves for the majority of the trip? What about when touring Machu Picchu?
Old Apr 25th, 2006, 08:29 AM

The LarcoMar shopping center is good for shopping and its outstanding views. It is located on a cliff above the Pacific in Miraflores in Lima.
Prices are cheaper for Alpaca sweater and pottery in Urubamba. The Seminario ceramic factory is located in Urubamba and prices are a bit cheaper there than in its store on the Plaza de Armas in Cusco (though still expensive).
Since Machu Picchu is in the mountains it will be cool at night but should be pleasant during the day. Note wear bug repellent when you tour Machu Picchu. There are small flies that you can barely see but if they bite you they are very annoying.
Old Apr 25th, 2006, 12:44 PM

I think you see that Lima/central city is not safe but the middle/upper class area Miraflores is ok. Our hotel in Miraflores was bombed two days after we left in what we think was a labor dispute. So..enjoy but be cautious.
Old Apr 30th, 2006, 04:26 PM

I just returned from my trip from Peru with GAP I’m single female who travel solo.
My first two days I spend in Lima by my self. My hotel Antigua Miraflores was located in very nice part of the town. I feel safe in Lima like in any other big city.
I love our tour with GAP and highly recommend.
Old May 12th, 2006, 09:00 AM

The only place that I would stay in Lima is Miraflores. I stay just to the North and our hotel staff wouldn't let us go out at night. They did arrange for us to go to the main plaza, which was beautiful, but hard to enjoy with the caution that we took. If you want to check out the night life I would wait until you get to Cuzco. I had no fear at night there and the bars/clubs are great!!