Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

How good is the whale watching in Puerto Vallarta?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28th, 2003, 04:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been whale watching in Alaska and Maui,and both were wonderful,with lots of whale sightings. How does whale watching in Puerto Vallarta compare to either of the above locations? Is it worth the time,or should I do other outings like horseback riding or jungle tour?
Old Jan 28th, 2003, 04:43 PM

When are you going? Right now is high season. Really no need to book an actual whale watching tour. Can see the whales on any cruise, or from a seaside restaurant. Missy
Old Jan 29th, 2003, 05:17 AM

but getting up close with a tour is an unbelievable experience and definitely a 'must do'
Old Feb 7th, 2003, 11:55 AM

I haven't done the whale watching but I have been on the jungle tour and my advise to you is save your money and find something else to do for the day.
Old Feb 8th, 2003, 07:33 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice,folks. PVR-Babe....are you saying that the whale watching or the jungle tour is not worth the time? I was planning on doing both. Any insights into good or bad jungle tours?
Old Feb 10th, 2003, 02:30 PM

I am saying the jungle tour is not worth the time. You spend about 1 hour on the bus getting there and then all you do is get on this little boat and go down this river, not much wildlife to see and at the end of the river you get off the boat and go see a bunch of aligators that are penned up and then you get back on the boat and make the same journey back up the river and then you get back on the bus for another hour to get back to your hotel.
Old Feb 10th, 2003, 06:47 PM
Original Poster

Dear PVR Babe....thanks for saving me a boring day. I'll pass on the jungle tour. I'm going to start a new thread asking about GOOD day tours. I'd welcome any of your suggestions.
Old Feb 11th, 2003, 05:10 AM

There are jungle tours and there are jungle tours. They are not all the same. The one mentioned is, I believe an air-conditioned bus to the San Blas area. Going to the 'jungle' on an air-conditioned bus doesn't sound like really experiencing anything. You should try the Vallarta Adventures, Sierra Madre tour.<BR>For Whalewatching I would recommend Open Air Expeditions trip, they use a small semi inflatable boat that will get you right down close to the whales. The company is comprised of young Mexican biologists.
Old Feb 11th, 2003, 04:15 PM
Original Poster

Thanks,JR. I've reviewed Vallarta Adventures' website and their offerings look great. Also will follow your recommendation for whalewatching.
Old Feb 24th, 2003, 12:28 PM

Took the Geronimo tour to Marietas Island on 2/19, and saw many whales! It is billed as more of a snorkeling tour, but they build in time for whale watching. I'd say we spent over a hour in the bay circling, and had many many views of the whales over that time. Enjoy!