Reload this Page >

How do you get to Manzanillo?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 10:59 AM
Sant

The Travel Channel's number #1 choice for best hotel in Mexico is the Whyndam Grand Bay Hotel Isla Navidad in Manzanillo. The hotel looked gorgeous (not to mention the golf course) and piqued my interest. Question is, how does one get there? I am guessing that you fly into Mexico City and then take a commuter plane into Manzanillo? It looks like it would be at least 6 hours by car or bus, so I'd prefer not to do that.

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 11:42 AM
bobbi

Sant<BR>Depends on where you are coming from. You can get a flight via Alaska Air on the west coast, plus there are charters to Manzanillo there. The Grand Hotel in Barra, which is what I am sure you are asking about, is on a small island just off the twon of Barra. It is about 30 minutes north of Manzanillo airport. A beautiful resort, but somewhat isolated. you need to boat back and forth. Hugely expensive and usually only partly full. If you want to see alot of the real Mexico or be near the action you may find it quite isolating. But if you want to get away from it all and have luxury accomodations, I don't think you'd be disappointed! Have fun

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 05:21 PM
Peggy

When I was researching a trip to Tamarindo, north of Manzanillo for this Octber I found Alaska Air had stopped their direct LAX to Manzanillo flight from June til October. They said due to 9/11 etc, they had cut their flight schedule. Luckily we are going the last week in October & that is the first week they start flying direct! Other options were through Mexico City. Got our tickets already. We are also staying at Grand Bay the last 2 days of our vacation. Two years ago we did the same flight but drove further north to El Careyes (Costa Careyes), great small secluded hotel on the coast. I would suggest checking out Careyes & Tamarindo to stay a few days & then a few days at Grand Bay. Both are on differentworld.com. We got a great price on a luxury room at Grand Bay right from the hotel website. Hope that helps!

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 06:42 AM
Sant

A belated thank you, Bobbi and Peggy. While I agree that it is an expensive hotel, they do have a buy 3, get one night free deal that makes it not too bad. Besides, a comparable hotel in New York or a major European city would cost way more.

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 10:38 AM
Peggy

You're welcome....I wasn't suggesting Careyes or Tamarindo as a cheaper alternate to Grand Bay, in fact they are more expensive that what we are paying at Grand Bay, but as a possible second destination during your trip. They are small & exclusive with lots of privacy, just for me personally Grand Bay would be too much for an entire week. But post after you go & tell us your impressions. Have a great time.

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 05:25 AM
Anne-Marie

You can fly directly into Manzanillo. Isla de Navidad is just a cab or bus ride away.

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 05:05 AM
Alee

Is Peggy out there? <BR><BR>Peggy I have read some of your other posts and it seems you've taken all the trips I'm planning to take. Can you give me some advice? I am going to Belize in the Spring and probably staying at the Turneffe Island Lodge for diving and then into the jungle, maybe Blancaneaux? Our main concern was the diving so we didn't chose Cayo Espanto but maybe we should change our minds?<BR><BR>Also, and most importantly, can you tell me anything and everything about Careyes? My boyfriend and I would like to get married there. We would like to rent 2 villas for us and our guests. For our honeymoon we would like to stop off at Vatulele! Can you give me some advice?? You have the first-hand knowledge for these trips!<BR><BR>Feel free to e-mail me directly, too. Thanks so much. I hope to hear from you.

Old Aug 8th, 2002, 05:10 AM
alee

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 08:20 AM
Peggy

Alee, Glad I looked at Fodors & saw your post. I broke my leg 3 weeks ago & have been out of circulation! At least it should be ok by the end of October & our trip to Tamarindo!<BR>We do not dive but a couple at Cayo Espanto did. To me the problem was you are spending big bucks for Cayo to start with, then extra for diving & then it is a 2 or 3 hour boat trip out to the outer reefs for diving so you are missing the point of being at Cayo. You'd be gone most of the day for diving. If diving is your desire I would stay at Turneffe. We did not do a jungle resort, perhaps next time.<BR>Now what made you chose Careyes for a wedding? Have you been there? They were gearing up for a big Mexican wedding when we were there & it looked like they knew what they were doing. The hotel would be great for guests & some of the villas around there were outstanding! The hotel restaurant was great & there is another restaurant around the cliff that is also for the villa guests. I could go on & on. Especially about Vatulele! So you are planning of getting married in Mexico & then flying to Fiji for a honeymoon? Pretty ambitious plans. Let me know if that is your e-mail address or you can e-mail me direct & I'll answer any questions I can.