Search

Hotels in Queretaro

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12th, 2015, 09:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotels in Queretaro

Hi,

We are planning on spending about 4 nights in Queretaro as part of a 3-week holiday in Mexico: any suggestions for decent hotels accessible to the centre? We do also like the chains and one can often get good deals with them on booking.com but we are not only limited to them. We are a mother and adult daughter so would need 2 beds. We do need to be walking distance to the centro so we can dine out at night and walk home after. With it being Mexico we want a good deal and would rather not pay what we pay in Europe for a room - thanks in advance for any advice.
Old Aug 12th, 2015, 10:51 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
We stayed at La Casa de la Marquesa http://lacasadelamarquesaqueretaro.com a few years back It's right in the historic district and not terribly expensive, especially when you consider its quality. The staff speaks English and can answer your specific questions.
Old Aug 12th, 2015, 12:48 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
If I'm reading between the lines, you're looking for something more budgety? Marquesa is indeed a beautiful place, and it seems they've lowered their rates lately. We paid over $200 a couple of years back. It's up for sale for $12,000,000 US if you want to buy.
We often do overnights from San Miguel, and like the following for under $100: San Xavier and Quinta Lucca. Both have great locations, and both are old converted casonas but have their motel-ish parts to them. SX's main floor rooms have 2 comfy beds, is very quiet, but the rooms can be a bit dark. But it is spotless, has a small pool, and made to order breakfast is included. QL has continental breakfast.
Hotel Hidalgo is a very popular budget option, but is well-worn and noisy.
Most of the chains are not convenient to centro.
Old Aug 12th, 2015, 12:50 PM

Hotel Hidalago just steps from the main Plaza is IMO ideal. Clean, great WiFi & a lovely courtyard for Breakfast.
Request first floor rear for a peaceful quite room.
Good water pressure, adequate notions & a friendly helpful staff but little English spoken.
Under $50 US for two.
Built in 1825 so very historic.
Old Aug 13th, 2015, 03:37 AM
Original Poster

Casa de la Marquesa sounds as if it is not entirely satisfactory (trip advisor) - which is why I prefer generic hotels, you know what you're getting - are there no hotel chains that have a hotel that is relatively central: we don't mind walking up to a km on roads that are well-lit and have the public walking around so we feel safe (last year when we stayed in Oaxaca we stayed about 1 km from the centro but always felt safe walking home at night - also it was good to walk off the delicious moles!!); I know I contradict myself here but I just don't want to stay in unsightly industrial areas where one of the chain hotels seemed to be located.

Thanks for all your help and goodwill.
Old Aug 13th, 2015, 04:02 AM
Original Poster

I am looking at the Hilton Garden Inn right now - how do you guys rate it: I don't know how far it is from the Centro which is my main concern?
Old Aug 13th, 2015, 05:56 AM

The Hilton Garden is a long walk from centro and would not be a pleasant one. There really are no chain type hotels in centro. You also don't want to have to cross Zaragoza, Constituyentes or Universidad on foot. Those are the main busy streets that border centro.
As far as the Marquesa not being highly rated, I don't get that. It is arguably one of Mexico's most classic hotels, a beautiful old casona converted into a botique hotel. As such, it may have a squeaky floorboard or 2, but that's about the only negative.
Old Aug 13th, 2015, 06:36 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
"As far as the Marquesa not being highly rated, I don't get that."

I was surprised at that, too. It seemed very well run and appointed when I stayed there. I checked TA and most reviewers were more than satisfied. But, to each his/her own!
Old Aug 13th, 2015, 09:49 AM

When we stayed at the Marquesa, there was some sort of fashion shoot going on in the lobby and some of the staff was a bit distracted that morning, but certainly not enough to detract from our stay.
One hotel that we want to try next time is the Rio Queretaro. It has pretty good rates, and is on a quiet andador.
Old Aug 14th, 2015, 05:22 AM
Original Poster

I like hard beds but beds as hard as concrete and others with springs coming through the mattresses? Hmmm. It sounds like there is generally no hot water, the aircon is switched off from 3,30am to 6,30am - mean? The service of the staff doesn't sound very good.
I would appreciate a recommendation for something a little less old, but, as I said before, reasonably amenable to the centre for us to feel safe walking home from eating dinner in The Centro.
Thanks.
Old Aug 14th, 2015, 10:55 AM

Maybe I was a little vague when I mentioned that San Xavier is in an old converted casona. I probably gave the impression that it was still an old building; far from it. The building was at one time an old casona, but it has been completely gutted and the interior is for all intents brand new. The beds are comfy and on the soft side, (rare for Mexico) the linens are upscale as well. It's probably our favorite hotel for the price. Super quiet. The only drawback is that the main floor rooms tend to be dark, and there are no windows to leave open for fresh air. But they do have floor fans. That said, in Mexico open windows mean more noise anyway, so for us we prefer the quiet. But if you look at their website, the 2nd and 3rd floor rooms will have better natural lighting. I think the TA reviews are fairly accurate.
Old Aug 19th, 2015, 07:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your help everyone, I am still trying to decide - does anyone know Hotel Quinta Allenda? Stayed there and can give me ideas on whatt that is like?
Thanks again.