Search

Hotel Parador

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24th, 2001, 08:16 AM
Dean

Hotel Parador

Has anyone stayed at the Parador in Manuel Antonio recently? Looks pretty impressive from the web site, and we're considering staying there for part of our honeymoon.

Old Oct 24th, 2001, 04:23 PM
Dave

El Parador is nice and has a lot of 17th Century furnishings and at the end of a gravel road on Punta Quepos. High buck and out of the way. If that's what you are looking for, consider another hotel: Makanda-by-the-Sea (www.makanda.com) has a honeymoon package. Have you found this site: www.maqbeach.com? Pura vida.

Old Oct 25th, 2001, 05:25 AM
Ally

As Dave says, Parador is nice, but a little isolated as far as location, at the end of a point. They have a nice zero edge pool for lounging around with beautiful views, but a cab or rental car would be necessary to get to other restaurants, etc. <BR>I can reccommend La Mariposa. It's also got a lovely pool with excellent views and some VERY nice rooms. It's also within walking distance to other good restaurants. <BR>www.lamariposa.com

Old Oct 25th, 2001, 10:45 AM
jerry

My wife daughter and I stayed at the Parador for a week 2 years ago. We found the hotel to be very nice. Its the last hotel on the point so its very secluded, has a great pool and the food was excellent. As the post above said you will need either a car or cab to get around. There is a beach just down the road from the hotel, it is fairly rocky but a beautiful location. If you have any questions feel free to email me. <BR>

Old Oct 25th, 2001, 12:54 PM
Dean

Thanks for the comments Dave, Ally and Jerry. Checked out the sites and other hotels mentioned but still leaning towards the Parador. Seclusion is OK for a honeymoon! <BR> <BR>Concerned about the "resting on its past reputation" comments I've seen regarding Mariposa, and concerned because I learned that the Makanda was for sale a couple of months ago. Didn't want to take any chances, so it looks like the Parador. <BR> <BR>Don't mind taking a cab into town, can anyone recommend some good restaurants?

Old Oct 26th, 2001, 05:30 AM
Iza

Try Karola's - very romantic setting and excellent food. The best dinner we had in CR, great drinks.

Old Oct 26th, 2001, 12:01 PM
Ally

I second Karola's. Not the best food we've had in CR, but the best we had in Manuel Antonio. Also, the bar is a fun little 'party spot' when you feel like socializing.

Old Oct 30th, 2001, 05:23 AM
Robbie Felix

most popular restaurants in Quepos and Manuel Antonio, not in any particular order... <BR>Gran Escape in Quepos <BR>Karolas in Manuel Antonio <BR>Barba Roja next door to Karolas <BR>Sun Spot at Makanda <BR>Banco Bar in Quepos <BR> <BR>Banco Bar was never well known as a great restaurant until recently but we have had many guests raving about it! <BR>It is a sports bar in downtown Quepos, but apparently really good. I also personally lke the restaurant in the Plinio, more down-home but it has a sweet ambience that I enjoy. <BR>There are manyy options here and you may want to take a look at www.quepolandia.com which is our local englsh language newspaper on-line. It is full of info regarding this area and will help you plan your trip! <BR>Best warm wishes, <BR>Robbie

Old Nov 5th, 2001, 10:15 AM
Nancy

We stayed at Parador last year with my two children (ages 12 & 15). We were all amused at the monkeys stealing bananas (and anything else) from our deck. Parador has lovely grounds and a breathtaking sunset. It gets very warm there and the dining facility is open air, therefore no air conditioning. It is a long way off the road, if you have no rental car, it's a taxi everywhere.

Old Nov 12th, 2001, 10:53 AM
Dean

Thanks everyone for the comments on the Parador and the restaurant tips. Karola's sounds like a winner, we'll definitely visit. <BR><BR>Have read many comments about the tremendous view at the Mariposa, but is the restaurant worth going to, or should we just have drinks at the bar?

Old Nov 13th, 2001, 08:28 AM
Ally

My husband and I decided to have dinner there one night. Food was fairly good, but IMO not worth the price. Also, the view from the restaurant area is not that great, it's the bar that has a fabulous view. I mean outstanding views. DO have a drink or two there, then walk across the street to Karolas for dinner!

Old Nov 14th, 2001, 09:42 AM
gab

I was there during my honeymoon. We loved the hotel. It was very empty because it was June (the rainy season), so we more or less had the place to ourselves.<BR><BR>The swimming pool is fabulous, with just the best view. Breakfasts were great (try the omelette filled with avocado and beans!). We had one dinner there that was good, though nothing particularly memorable. We went to Mariposa one night for dinner and found it inedible. The food there was just incredibly bad. The Mariposa had beautiful grounds, though.<BR><BR>Another hotel in the area you should consider is Si Como No. I didn't see it myself, but since our trip I've met loads of people who have stayed there and raved about it.

Old Nov 27th, 2001, 04:03 PM
Michelle

La Mariposa has a nice view, but that's it. We have the corner suite on the top floor, and it was not even close to as nice as other places we stayed in CR. You can go up there for a drink at sunset, and stay somewhere else. Some honeymooners we met were staying at the Parador, and they said it was really lavish, seemed happy with it.<BR><BR>As for food, Karolas is southwestern, and its official name is Billy Bob's Karolas (ugh). I was really sick afterward, but it could have been my garlic allergy. Also, El Gran Escape is good for families, or for a bloody mary and some peel and eat shrimp, but it also is entirely American.<BR><BR>We liked Escalofrio in downtown Quepos. It was Italian, not Costa Rican, but we were thrilled to have caprese salad, pizza, and a banana split. We also had our best meal on the Sunset Sail, absolutely fresh and delicious mahi mahi (and mind you, I do not eat non-shellfish fish ever). Also, Barba Roja is really fun at happy hour. Cantina Grill across from Costa Verde is really fun, the "jungle boys" play while you eat barbecue (food, ok, atmosphere, great). It was packed in the rainy season when everywhere else was empty.<BR>Our best breakfasts were at Cafe Milagro (except their fruit is never ripe).<BR><BR>Finally, I am so glad someone else liked Hotel Plinio. It was so cozy that we checked out of La Mariposa and checked in there. For Thanksgiving, we had curried pumpkin soup, turkey, mashed potatoes, braised red cabbage with sorrel and apples, sesame carrots and green beans, and for dessert, apple strudel or pumkin pie with some kind of a brown sugar top crust. It was pretty gourmet, and very very cozy. We hugged the owners when we left.<BR><BR>Oh, our friends liked the Rico Tico Bar at Si Como No, but we just couldn't stomach going there. The hotel is double the price of anywhere else, including the gift shop (example, $175 for a bowl that was $60 in a smaller, local shop in Quepos-- bet they paid the local who made it part of their exorbitant profit). All this talk of how its environmentally friendly, etc seems like b.s. It just another monstrosity built right in the rainforest, with the addition of brightly painted animals or whatever. I sound bitter, but the hotel just gave me a bad feeling. I question how they get their recommendations from travel agencies and stuff, and it seems like they exploit the locals. I suppose they all do, but maybe not as bad.<BR>