Search

Hotel Isabel Mexico City or other budget recommendations

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11th, 2006, 09:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotel Isabel Mexico City or other budget recommendations

Hi All,

I will be visiting Mexico for the first time at the start of Nov. Flying into DF lateish so looking to book somewhere in advance.

I found Hotel Isabel (Isabel la Católica 63) on the TT and it sounds like it might fit the bill. Wondering if anyone has stayed there and how did you find it? Opinions on TripAdvisor swing wildly from "Don't stay there" to "A home from home!!

Hey - everyone has different comfort levels.

I'm looking for somewhere cheap $35 US or (well!)under for a single room. Not too far from the centre as shall only be there for 2 nights - with maybe another couple at the end of trip. Don't mind shared facilites, but would like a bit of "character" - patio or something.

I know I could stay in a hostel dorm but ...

Any info or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thx
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 06:02 AM

Many of my guests have gone on from Queretaro to stay at Hotel Isabel in Mx City. They were pleased with the accommodations, location and the price.
Although it's centrally located and apparently easy to get to, I'm not able to give you proper directions.
If you're coming through Qro. you may want to stay at "HOME" B&B in the Historic Center.
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 06:42 AM

I would avoid La Ciudad until AMLO and his folks get finished with their protests and the 1 December sit-in v. Presidente-elect Calderon.
M (SMdA, Gto.)
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 09:31 AM

A great source for budget travel is the "Lets Go series including their book on Mexico. I find the information better & more accurate than Lonely Planet bit not to start a debate as LP is very good also. Anyway it is my Mexican bible always in my backpack as I travel via bus this most interesting land. I personally would choose over all The Majestic but not really budget. Of the less expensive hotels I would elect to the Hotel Catedral, Donceles 95. 5518-52-53, www.hotelcatedral.com singles about 400 pesos
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 02:48 AM
Original Poster

Thx all.

Hotel Catedral is really more than I want to spend - and quotes 450 pesos for a single on their website, but have emailed them anyway and await a reply.

Mikemo - I do not have much choice. Flight booked weeks ago, is part of a longer journey, cannot be changed, and arrives 1800 which, I reckon, is too late to take a bus direct from the airport to somewhere other than DF. But if anyone cares to advise otherwise, then I am all ears.

I guess what I maybe should start thinking about is that if 1 Dec is the day Calderon assumes the Presidency then maybe that is NOT a good day to be getting to the airport for my flight out!! I have options there as connex flight back to LAX not yet booked, but cheapest and most convenient would leave DF at around 1800. Your thoughts?

Meanwhile any other advise welcome.

Like the idea of Casa Gonzales too though could be out of my pricce bracket.

Thx again.
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 05:25 AM

The Hotel Catedral adjacent to the Zocalo is very popular, but with AMLO's protests expected to continue through the inauguration of President-elect Caldron on 1 December, probably best to avoid the area.
M
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 05:31 AM

You might want to check our Colonial cities (Queretaro; San Miguel de Allende: Guanajauto; Zacatecas; Morelia/Patzcuaro; Puebla) as there are many bus departures from the airport:
www.primeraplus.com.mx
www.etn.com.mx
and others you can google.
GM suggests on the TA forum that the problems in Oaxaca will continue into Spring.
M
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 06:30 AM

It's been several years since I stayed there, but the Hotel Isabel was fine. Basic, no frills, but acceptable to me. I do remember the taxi driver misunderstanding where I wanted to go and taking me to the Sheraton Maria Isabela. I said, no, I don't think this is the place.
Old Sep 14th, 2006, 03:58 AM
Original Poster

Thx Jeff - I am leaning that way.

Mikemo - thx too - my original plan was indeed not to go to DF on arrival but to leave it till end of trip. I had discovered that there were buses direct from the airport. But plane lands at 5.00pm. So 6.00 pm at least before can get on bus. Destination of choice would have been Guanajuato - but five hours after a long flight not good. So say San Miguel - 3.5 hours I believe, so arrive at 9.30 - but maybe it is 10, or 11 if the plane is late. Is this a good idea?

In other words, I asked myself - which is the SENSIBLE thing to do? Take taxi from airport and stay in DF or take bus and arrive very late not in DF ...

And curious why you are so definite in your advice to steer clear of zocalo area. Have there been reports of violence against foreigners? Nobody in their right mind would walk through a demo in a foreign land, and I guess there is disruption to transport, etc, but how great do you rate the personal threat?

Just a newbie trying to gather as much info as possible for what might be my only trip to Mexico.

Cheers.