Search

horseback riding

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10th, 2008, 10:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
horseback riding

Hi,
Has anyone done horseback riding thru Hotel Sol y Luna. If so did you do a full day or half day trip. Were the horses well taken care of? Thanks
Old Oct 10th, 2008, 01:14 PM
emd

I am also interested in this as I have also considered that stable. I assume you saw the negative review online from 4/08, the lady who used them for a day ride and did not get to ride as one of the horses became sick, frothing at mouth, just after the ride started and they had to turn around and go right back to the hotel. They still charged her half price for the ride, saying their policy is that if you gt on the horse, you pay (apparently even if it is their fault you can't ride, according to this lady who posted the detailed review of her experience).

http://www.travbuddy.com/Viento-Sur-...Agency-v192276

I hope this review is an abberation, but I have read some other reviews of Sol y Luna ripping people off, charging them for horse back rides they could not take due to cancelling their hotel reservations in a timely fashion and trying to cancel the horse ride- but they still got charged for the horse rides they didn't take.

I can't find another riding place w/good Paso horses that has a half day ride. I am going to ask the Peruvian guide in Cuzco who I am working w/if he can recommend a place. Will let you know what he says.

Old Oct 10th, 2008, 01:15 PM
emd

Viento-Sur is the company that runs the horse riding at Sol y Luna...
Old Oct 10th, 2008, 03:11 PM
Original Poster

EMD,
Thanks in advance for letting me know what you find out. You are absolutely right about the review that I read. I know some have to be taken with a grain of salt but made me start to wonder.
I also found that alot of the other companys don't use the Paso horse on their rides either.
Perol chico used to do 1 day trips but now they don't bacause feel like that's not enough time to train you about the horses and match you with the best horse and get a ride in all in 1 day. Sorry now I'm starting to rabvle but would appreciate anything you find out and I will do likewise. Thanks again
Old Oct 18th, 2008, 09:51 AM

We went horseback riding with a tour company right in the main square in Ollanta. Forgot the name of the shop, but check my trip report.

Also, I think the Paseo horses are over-rated, and I'm glad we didn't get those. We rode the sturdier, less expensive horses because they ran out of paseos that day. Our horse guide rode the paseo, and I don't know it's just that particular horse, but it got scared of every little thing on a narrow winding trail. It'd try to go sideway and backward and almost hitting my horse. I love my horse--it's very sensible and know what it's doing. I sometimes try to tug on the rein to guide it, and it'd pull its head as if to say "don't tell me what to do, I know what I'm doing."

We did a 6+ hour ride to Moray and Maras, and it's still the most memorable part of my Peru trip!
Old Oct 19th, 2008, 05:57 AM
emd

The guide I am working with (David Choque, who was recommended on this forum and who so far has been excellent in the planning stages w/me) receommended taking us riding from Ollantaytambo for a half day w/Walter Loayza's stable in Olly. He has Paso horses, and they are good gentle horses. He said we will ride from Ollly to small villages where cars don't often go, maybe they see a car once a week or so.

JC98, was it the Loayza group you rode with?
Old Oct 19th, 2008, 02:06 PM

I have to admit, in 40 years of owning horses, I've never been impressed with Paseo's. I've personally known 3 and all of them were very flighty and that's compared to the arab's I've been riding for 20 years!
So now that I've insulted the Paseo owners, it's also true that all breeds have renegades.

For riding tours, also check out http://www.ridingtours.com/, equitours or http://www.hiddentrails.com/

Both are highly respected with long histories. I did a tour with hidden trails in Spain that was the BEST vacation I've ever taken. Simply amazing.
Old Oct 19th, 2008, 06:44 PM
emd

Thanks, but the Equitours ride in Peru is a 12 day ride, and the Hidden Trails rides in Peru are 7-14 night trips.

snorky and I are talking about a half day to one day trip.
Old Oct 20th, 2008, 11:22 AM

Hi,

In February, 2007, my husband and I took a half day ride thru the Hotel Luna y Sol. We had a wonderful time.

Now I have ridden a number of stable horses as well as many privately owned horses and generally, there is a world of difference between the two. Well, the horse I rode at Sol y Luna was, by far, the best stable horse I have ever ridden . It was up there in schooling and disposition with the best of the private horses that I have ridden.

I have been to stables that claimed that we were riding Paso Finos, but while these animals might have shared some genetics with Paso Finos, they were just average stable hacks.

However, the horse I rode at Sol y Luna was a world apart from these animals. He was well schooled and had classic Paso Fino gaits (think Tennessee Walker gaits). This horse was a pleasure to sit atop - so smooth to ride at any speed. The horse was also very responsive to my directions. I was simply amazed that this quality of horse existed in a rental situation.

Our ride was through the countryside, without a particular destination, but I think (but am not sure) that you can visit the salt flats during a half day ride.

I read the review from the lady with the bad experience and am so thankful that that wasn't my experience - a drastically ill horse, a scrubbed ride and the final indignity of a half day charge - how miserable. I feel very sorry for this woman, however our two experiences were a 180 degrees apart.

If I were to go back to the Sol y Luna, I would probably do a full day ride, but as always, before booking, I would look over the horses to assess their general level of condition and care. Not that I could tell if one was about to take ill, but I have seen stables, where the condition of the horses and/or the conditions they were in, were so poor that, for me, riding was not an option.

My background: I had my own horse in high school; the college I went to had an indoor riding arena and stables and I continued to ride while in college. Off and on after that (for the next 20 years), I took lessons at various places. While I rode some western, most of my riding was english (over fences and a little dressage). Now, for the past 15 years or so, whenever I get the chance on vacation, I ride and that is the extent of my current riding.

Well hope this helps

Old Oct 20th, 2008, 02:50 PM
Original Poster

Emd and eveningcrane,
Thanks so much from both of you for the horse riding info.
We will be staying at Sol y Luna so will try them. Your review eveningcrane really helped alot.Thanks.
Now we just have to decide if full or 1/2 day. Have you decided on that yet emd? I want the full but husband wants 1/2 so might have to flip a coin. Thanks again to both of you.
Old Oct 20th, 2008, 09:46 PM
emd

snorky, I think it will be the half day for us. We have other things we want to do in the Ollantaytambo area. And, truth be told, although I also rode a lot from ages 10 through age 20 (Pin Oak stables in Houston, i'm dating myself), and have kept it up some since then, at my present age I am ready to dismount after a half day. We will be doing the ride the day before going to Machu Picchu and I don't want to be to saddle sore!
Old Oct 21st, 2008, 10:36 AM

emd, below is an excerpt from my old trip report on our horseback riding experience in the sacred valley.
========
Author: JC98
Date: 06/03/2008, 02:20 am
Horseback riding. We booked it through KB Tours office right in the Ollanta plaza. It was $45 USD for the 6 hour horseback riding tour to Moray, Maras, and Salineras. We had a horse trainer and a tour guide with us, but the tour guide didn't know too much English. They were fun to have around, and we tipped them like $10 USD each. Seemed like too much, as we were new to Peru and didn't know what the going rate was.

The ride was long and the trail was scary in some places -- winding along a cliff. How old are your kids? It might be difficult for them and even for adults.

We got the criollo horse--the more sturdy type than the other more famous "elegant" horse. The horses tended to break into a gallop at every opportunity, so a lot of bouncing on your bums (that's why we needed the Inka massage the next day! . But you could rein them in.

You might want to ask for a shorter, easier ride, esp for the kids.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author: JC98
Date: 06/03/2008, 02:28 am
More about horseback riding... we really loved that experience. We were the only 2 people on this tour and we went through winding trails with beautiful changing sceneries -- mountains, valleys, farmlands, rivers in a distance. We didn't see any other tourists around until we got to the Moray ruins and Salineras.

Along the way, we saw women and children picking corn on the field, sheep, donkeys, bulls. In fact, we encountered a few traffic jams on the narrow winding trail (barely 2 ft wide in places ) with a group of donkeys and even bulls coming from the opposite direction! Each party had to maneuver the animals so we could pass each other. Pretty fun.

But again, you need to balance yourself on the horse, as you could easily fall off.