16 days in Costa Rica - Need Help

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30th, 2007, 06:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am trying to put together a trip in mid-June to either Belize or Costa Rica. I think we've settled on Costa Rica but I need to get our plans finalized quickly. It will be my wife and I and our 2 kids, ages 10 and 12. I have a rough itinerary but could use some help refining it.

What I have so far is as follows:

June 13 - arrive San Jose
June 14 - June 18 - travel to Arenal for 4 nights
June 18- June 21 - travel to Monteverde for 3 nights
June 21 - June 24 - travel to Manuel Antonio for 3 nights
June 24 - June 26 ?????
June 26 - June 30 - Osa
July 1 - return home

As it is, we have a couple extra days. I could use suggestions for whether we should add days somewhere, or take days away from what we have planned and add somewhere else to go.

Also, we would greatly appreciate suggestions for things in these areas we should not miss.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give us!

Steve
Old Apr 30th, 2007, 06:15 PM
Original Poster

I miscounted. We have from June 23 - June 26 unplanned.
Old Apr 30th, 2007, 06:28 PM

Wow! That's great that you have over two weeks. That will give you a chance to see a few different areas without rushing around too much.

I'm not sure how set you are on Manuel Antonio, but personally, I would skip it if you are going to spend several nights in the Osa Peninsula. Guanacaste is a great area to explore. In addition to the some impressive beaches, Rincon de la Vieja and Palo Verde are great day trips.

I'd tweak things to be as follows:

June 13: Arrive in San Jose.
June 14, 15, 16, 17: Guanacaste
June 18, 19, 20: Monteverde
June 21, 22, 23: Arenal
June 24: Head to San Jose but take a day trip to La Paz and spend the night either there or in San Jose. This will be a nice day and you won't have to rush back to catch your flight to Osa.
June 25-30: Osa
July 1: Home

I hope I didn't throw you off track with this. I just think that Manuel Antonio is very pretty, but could never compare to the Osa as far as wildlife and a rainforest experience. Whatever you decide, I'm sure you will have an amazing time. Costa Rica is incredible!
Old Apr 30th, 2007, 06:49 PM

It doesn't sound like you have your airfare yet...? This will make a difference as to your first and last nights. For me, getting in late means first night in San Jose, and leaving early means the last night in San Jose. Just planning my first trip to CR, so I'm no expert, but we're (myself and 10 year old daughter) are heading to the Caribbean side to Puerto Viejo for part of our trip. Maybe this would interest your family as something different from the rest of your trip...? We're doing 4 nights Puerto Viejo, 3 nights Arenal, 2 nights Central Valley, 5 nights Osa. Some think 4 nights is too long in PV, but there is a bit of travel time to and fro there.

As crchica said, hope not to confuse you even more. I'm sure you're aware of the many options already!

Happy travels!
Old Apr 30th, 2007, 06:56 PM

I agree that as nice as MA is, since you're going to the Osa, I'd pick some other places. You do do the NW or as hvc says the East coast.
Old Apr 30th, 2007, 07:02 PM

I will like to sugests maybe 2 nights in Monteverde...back to San Jose from Manuel Antonio and spend the rest of the time in Osa...kids will love it...
R.A
Old Apr 30th, 2007, 09:38 PM

Forget monteverde. the Roads are terrible and there is not a lot to see there. Suggest Osa instead.
Old May 6th, 2007, 11:27 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your replies and sorry it has taken so long to respond back. If we are to stay for 4 days or so in the Guanacaster area on a beach, where would you suggest. We will go on from there to other places by car so we are looking for something nice and somewhat quiet, but not too remote. Thank you.

Steve
Old May 8th, 2007, 06:44 PM

Steve, you have gotten some good suggestions. I may have missed something, but have you considered flying into Liberia and out of San Jose? In that way, you could start out 30 min. from the airport at Liberia near Playa Ocotal or Playa Hermosa or any of the all-inclusives on the Golfo de Papagayo. AND, you can gain a night instead of spending first night near airport in SJO. This would be a great area for 4-5 nights. Close to both Rincon and Palo Verde, which were, by the way, excellent suggestions. Fun to explore down toward the south as well.

From there to Monteverde (about 4 hours), on to Arenal, down to SJO for trip to Osa.

June 13, 14, 15, 16, 17--5 nights Pacific
June 18, 19, 20 --3 nights Monteverde
June 21, 22, 23, ---3 nights Arenal
June 24--one night Peace Lodge, Vista del Valle or someplace en route to SJO area
June 25, 26, 27, 28, 29--5 nights Osa
(worth 5 nights for sure)
June 30--back to SJO, overnight Vista del Valle or Orquideas Inn
July 1--return home

If you are already locked into flying into SJO, I still think it's a good idea to start out in Guanacaste, continuing on to Monteverde, then Arenal, then the Osa. Separates your beach time a bit. . .

As for Guanacaste and where to stay, I've already mentioned the Golfo de Papagayo/Playa Hermosa area--north Pacific close to Liberia.

Further to the south about an hour and a half, there's the Playa Pan de Azucar/Playa Potrero/Playa Flamingo/Playa Conchal/Tamarindo/Playa Grande area, all within 35-40 min of each other. Nice area to explore where you stay there or choose to stay up closer to the airport.

Hotel Sugar Beach might be a bit remote for you, but worth checking into for sure. We really enjoy Flamingo Beach Resort, think it's a very good value for the nice beachfront location. Great beach for sunsets, long walks, etc. Also, in Playa Potrero there is Bahia del Sol, a nice location. Playa Potrero is a neat little area. Unfortunately, it was a lot better about 3-4 years ago before the development got so out of control, but you are going to find that all up and down the Pacific Coast.

About any of these areas would be a good choice. Do you have a map so you can see where we're talking about?

We've selected Hotel Bula Bula at Playa Grande for a couple of nights in July. . .our first time in Playa Grande. Fun to try new places, but we also get pretty attached to some of the old. . . Good luck and have a great time!