Family Trip to Costa Rica in December-January

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1st, 2005, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am beginning to think about a trip to Costa Rica sometime after Christmas and the first 2 weeks of January. It would be a family trip, my husband and myself, our two children ages 25 and 35. The 35 year old is a daughter who loves sun, beaches, shopping and eating. My son, 25, loves historical, nature, and adventourous activities. I would think about 6 days and 5 nights would be all that we could schedule. So, suggestions about 1 or 2 locations that we could settle on and make both children happy would be appreciated.
Old Jun 1st, 2005, 12:06 PM

We are going to Costa Rica from Dec 26 through January 3, but have found that it is a VERY busy time of year to travel there. Many of the hotels are already completely booked up or there are minimum night stays required. Perhaps you would be better off going the second week in January.

Ours is also a family trip, sons ages 22, 19 and 15. We decided on 3 nights in Manuel Antonio, 3 nights in Arenal and the last two nights outside of San Jose. It was difficult to choose, but thanks to all the support from this forum, this itinerary works for us. We plan to hang out at the beach, hike through the parks, try a couple of ziplines, and white water raft. I'm also hoping to shop at Sarchi and and visit a bird and butterfly sanctuary. There is so much one can do, but once you begin to narrow it down, it will all fall into place. Maybe you could do 2 nights around San Jose (history and shopping) and 3/4 nights at the beaches in either Manuel Antonio or the Guanacaste area. I'm sure the experienced CR posters will have more suggestions for you. Have a great time planning!!! I certainly am!
Old Jun 1st, 2005, 12:08 PM

Once you've decided, please consider pulling the trigger on the reservations ASAP. That's one of the busiest times of the year.
Old Jun 3rd, 2005, 09:30 AM

I have been to most all corners of Costa Rica. The date range you specify is when all of the locals descend on the beaches, especially Manual Antonio (and just north and south) because of its easy access to San Jose. Manuel Antonio is picturesque, but very touristy.

I suggest combining Arenal with Monteverde for nature / adventure activities. As for beaches, perhaps try something on the peninsula north of Manuel Antonio. My favorite non-tourist excursion is to hop by plane to Pto. Jimenez on the Osa Peninsula --beautiful beaches, surfing, rainforest.

As for San Jose, you'll have to stay there the night before your flight, so just the preceding day is enough.

Let me know if you need more details!
Old Jun 3rd, 2005, 09:50 AM

Land in Liberia, go to the beach at playa hermosa the closest and visit volcano rincon de la vieja, book ASAP.
Old Jun 4th, 2005, 08:20 AM

Costa Rica was our favorite vacation yet. We stayed at allegro papagayo hotel in the Guanacaste area (SunTrips from West Coast). All inclusive with pool bar, beautiful black sand beaches with a private island (with a bar)only a boat ride away. Howler monkeys in the trees, Pelicans and other birds with huge wing span flying around aimlessly. Although there may be some clear water beaches in Costa Rica- Playa Conchal (A hotel owns this beach I believe), or beaches on the Carribean side, Costa Rica is not known for the turqoise water you find in Cancun for example. Instead, expect life to be everywhere around you in Costa Rica. Another option could be Tabacon Hot Springs- A little pricey, but worth staying there for the relaxing hot springs. It is near Arenal Volcano in the heart of the jungle. Tabacon has around 15 natural hot springs ranging from ice cold to scalding hot. We only spent the day there so we were kind of rushed but it still was heaven on earth. You will have a relaxing and or adventurous time whereever you stay. Debbies Carribean Resort Reviews has a lot of feedback on places to stay also. There is so much to do and not do! Your son would like the ATV through the forest trails if you stay in Hotel Allegro Papagayo. Food is excellent at the hotel. Pool is awesome. Hope this helps. Enjoy!
Old Jun 12th, 2005, 05:05 PM

The only other suggestion is NOT to go to San Jose. You could stay in either La Bosque de Paz or Selva Verde and still fly out from San Jose. Both of them are great for nature (see Nature Lover's Trip)