Honeymoon in a WEEK! HELP!

Old Oct 28th, 2004, 11:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honeymoon in a WEEK! HELP!

My husband and I are leaving for our honeymoon in Costa Rica on Nov. 7th, and we need some advice.

We lucked out, and got a FREE place to stay in Jaco - a private condo that's linked with the Marriot Los Suenos Resort.

We have NOT planned to rent a car, but have a driver that will get us to and from the airport.

My biggest questions are:

1. Do we need a car? And would we be able to get around, being two intelligent people... or are the roads a nightmare?
2. We would like to go to Arenal, Monteverde, and do a canopy tour... should we do these thru the hotel, which offers fixed-rate tours, or should we go on our own? And, if we go on our own... do we need a car, should we take a bus... what do you recommend?
3. We're only going to be in CR for a week - are we wasting our time doing any of the above activities? And would there be something else you would recommend that is nearby Jaco?
4. I read another posting that talked about the sky bridges, and I haven't read much about those in my guide books, but it sounds good. Where are they?
5. Any other tips greatly appreciated. My husband is in the military, so we've had to wait a bit for our honeymoon... plus we've been separated A LOT, so we want this to be a paradise vacation.

Thanks in advance!
Old Oct 28th, 2004, 12:18 PM
lvk

First of all, thank your husband for us. Secondly, Congratulations!

Now, let's get down to business. I think the answers to your questions depend on your budget and interests.

1. Any excursion you take from the activities desk at Los Suenos is going to be pricey. If you want to see Arenal or Monteverde, however, it might beat renting a car, driving out there & back, and getting to all the different locations. It is about 3 hrs each way - at least on a tour bus you can sleep or read and not have to worry about getting lost.
2. The Los Suenos resort has cabs which will drive you into Jaco and back for $4 each way.
3. The restaurants at the Los Suenos resort are good, but also pricey by Costa Rica standards.
4. The Hanging Bridges at Arenal are very nice. There is also Skytrek in Monteverde. I believe there are others, but I'm not sure what their names are.
5. As you already have guidebooks, you can look up other activities (horseback riding, zip lines, etc.) in the Jaco area and book them directly. Some may offer pick-up at your hotel, and others may require a quick cab ride into Jaco.
6. Although the beach at Los Suenos is not very nice, the swimming pools and grounds are.

Have a wonderful, well-deserved honeymoon!

Old Oct 29th, 2004, 01:36 AM

Additonal thank yous to your husband for his service, and to you for being that special person in his life to help keep him going.

Re: the "sky bridges" here's a URL/web site with pictures. it's called "Rainmaker" tour. I think Rainmaker is conservation project.

http://www.1-costaricalink.com/costa...r_sky_walk.htm

Have a wonderful time, and wonderful life together. Please post here when you get a chance, sharing description and tips about your adventures.
Old Oct 29th, 2004, 07:34 PM
Original Poster

My husband will appreciate your kind words. Thank you for your acknowledgement. It is always appreciated!

Ivk - Would you suggest any changes in the things we plan to do? Anything more impressive that we should think of doing, rather than Monteverde, Arenal? We also thought of Manual Antonio... Time is limited, and I just don't want to remember our trip as one long bus ride...
Are there other beaches near Los Suenos that you would recommend? We'd rather do beach than pool... so it's sad to hear that the Los Suenos beaches aren't great. Suggestions?

CaliNurse - Have you actually been on that Skybridge - or do you know someone who has? Just curious if it was worth it!

Thanks in advance for all help! We sure do appreciate it.
Old Oct 30th, 2004, 08:38 AM

No, Aimee, unfortunately (for me) I 've not been to the Rainmaker Tour, or to Costa Rica at all--yet! I read about it on a great site about CR, written by someone who'd gone on this tour, and highly recommended it. I thought it might appeal to my son and his wife, who will be traveling to CR for first time in December. Not sure about doing a zipline canopy tour, they thought Rainmaker seemed a less daredevil activity but still with experience of the scenery from above. Whatever you choose--enjoy!!!!
Old Oct 30th, 2004, 11:01 AM
lvk

Hi Aimee,

If you don't want to spend all of your time in a bus, I would suggest choosing between Arenal & Monteverde.

I went to my file and pulled out the Los Suenos Activities Tour list. The Arenal tour from Los Suenos is $105 per person and includes transportation, lunch, dinner and admission to the Tabacon hot springs. It is a 12-hour day that leaves Los Suenos at 8 am.

They also do a guided "Skyway" tour at Villa Lapas, for $55/person - 4 hours. I have not heard anything about this tour, maybe you could do a search on it.

As for the beach at Los Suenos, it is a hard-packed brown sand beach. Since it is in a cove, the waves aren't all that big for surfing or boogey-boarding. The good part is that there are chaise lounges (free) to use and beverage service . If the "negatives" don't bother you, you will enjoy the beach.

Playa Hermosa is a nearby beach which was recommended to us, but we never tried it. You could probably get there via cab.

My other suggestion would be to have your driver stop at supermarket on your way to your condo to buy coffee, juices and other items. This way you can save $$ on some meals and go out for a splurge for others.

I'll be glad to answer any more questions.
Old Oct 30th, 2004, 11:29 AM

As the wife of a Viet Nam vet I thank both of you, I know how hard it is to hold down the fort back home whether he is seeing action or not.

I would definitely think about Manuel Antonio, Carara Nature Preserve, and, Turubari. All would be closer to the Marriot than Arenal and Monteverde and offer lots of things to see and do. Another option would be snorkeling out on Tortuga Island.

As for Monteverde...about all you would really get to do would be a quick run around the reserve at a not so great time for wildlife viewing or do sky trek. Turubari has a huge new zip line so you really wouldn't have to go that far just for that (as well as a less scary gondola).

In Arenal, you could sit in the hot springs and hopefully have enough dark time to see a quick peek of the volcano at night. A long ride for a soak in hot water but most people enjoy it.

Manuel Antonio offers a neat kayak tour in the mangroves as well as a trip into the park.

Carara Reserve is very near by and a lovely pleasant walk through some beautiful woods. A great place to see Scarlet macaws, peccari (we smelled and heard them but didn't see them), Howler monkeys, as well as many other things. There is a boat trip (haven't done it) in the Carara area also where you can see the crocs. You can still see them from the Bridge going over the Rio Tarcoles if you don't do the boat tour.

The roads really are not bad in that area if you want to drive yourselves. Big comfort level decision. The tours will cost more but if you factor the cost of the car rental into it, it might be preferable to leave the driving to others. You could conceivably hire a taxi driver for the day. We do that periodically. You would then be able to stop at any time for pictures, bathroom breaks etc.
Old Oct 30th, 2004, 04:37 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for the feedback. Here's what I'm thinking for our itenerary (loose guide) and some remaining questions/concerns:

I've decided to nix Monteverde. Thoughts?

7th - arrive at airport at 1pm, driver takes us to Los Suenos, stop for coffee and snacks, etc. for condo

8th - relax at the Los Suenos beach (Could we do Carara Nature Preserve in the afternoon if we get bored with the beach? how far, and how would you recommend traveling? could we rent bikes and ride there?)

9th - Canopy tour (Where should we do this, that's reasonably close to where we're staying. Turubari looks a little commercial? Is that misleading of the website? Could we do the canopy tour at Manual Antonio or Arenal, to conserve another day for the beach?)

10th - Arenal tour (should we splurge, take the bus on our own and stay the night somewhere? i'm not sure what the entry fee to tabacon is, or what a hotel would run in comparrison to the $105 per person the hotel charges for the day trip...)

11th - Cab to Beach: Playa Hermosa. Relax on the beach all day. Maybe surfing lessons or something like that.

12th - Manual Antonio (what are the "don't miss" things here?)

13th - Unsure. Should we head to San Jose and spend the day there, since our flight is out so early? Anything halfway that we could do? I don't want to feel like this day was wasted, just because we have to leave the following day.

14th - Depart 8am from San Jose

Sorry for my cluelessness. My husband has been gone for a while, and in his absense I think I've lost my mind. We just married AND moved across the country. I'm still scattered, and CR research hasn't been a top priority. Now it suddenly IS, since we're leaving in a week!! I want to make sure we don't miss out on anything!
Old Oct 30th, 2004, 05:02 PM

I can only give feedback based on recent research (much of it on this board, of course!) not having been to CR yet. That said... re: leaving early from SJO Airport, based on what I've read, you should NOT spend your day in San Jose, but instead consider staying your last afternoon/night in one of the hotels in or near Alajuela, near the airport. At least one has on-site spa for massages, etc,; trails to waterfalls on its property; a driver that will take you to the airport. For suggestions, try www.tripadvisor.com and search for "Alajuela" Several wonderful-sounding choices (with feedback from guests and guidebooks) will come up.
You could also search this board under "Alajuela" Continued good honeymoon wishes to you both. Oh!! Don't forget to let the hotel (Los Suenos and the one you chose beforeairport departure) know you're on your honeymoon!
Old Oct 30th, 2004, 06:35 PM
Original Poster

I posted another thread in reference to the Alajuela hotel... I also checked out the feedback on tripadvisor - thanks! It was hard to tell where to go without direct advice. Everything sounded great... which makes you wonder!

Cusinga, are you saying Arenal will be a disappointment? Please elaborate. We really wanted to go...
Old Oct 31st, 2004, 08:18 AM
lvk

Hi Aimee,

I think your plan looks pretty good. Just a few more tips.

1. I think that the previous poster was trying to warn you that you might not see the Volcano at Arenal if you go for only the day, you may see only clouds. There are lots of other things to do in the Arenal area, however. I see in another thread that you are considering a private driver. This may be less a less expensive and more flexible option for you. You could also get a standard room at the Arenal Paraiso for about $65/night. You would have a view of the nighttime lava flows provided the clouds clear.

Entry fees to Tabacon are $29 per person. After 7pm, they drop to $19/pp.

2. There is a Canopy tour called "Chiclets" in Playa Hermosa:

http://centralamerica.com/cr/tours/chiclets.htm
There's also the "Canopy Safari" near MA.

3. Los Suenos offers a tour of MA for $75 per person, which includes a Naturalist Guide. This may not be such a bad deal when you consider transportation, admission to the park ($7pp) guide ($20pp). It is an 8 hour day which also leaves you some beach time at MA.

Enjoy!