Honeymoon Help! Four Seasons v. Paradisus

Apr 12th, 2004, 08:59 PM
Original Poster

Honeymoon Help! Four Seasons v. Paradisus

I'm planning on spending the second part of my honeymoon (5 nights) at either the new Four Seasons or Paradisus Playa Conchal from August 31, 2004 to September 5, 2004. The reason I've narrowed it down to these choices is because of the raisy season and I figured it would be a safer bet to head to the drier regions in late August/early September (no doubt, I would've loved to stay at Makanda, Villa Caletas, or Punta Islita if the honeymoon was during the high/peak season). Can anyone help me decide between the two -- 4S or PPC? PPC is cheaper (and all-inclusive), but the 4S looks spectacular. Plus, at the 4S they have a special of stay 4 nights and get the 5th night free (it'll run around $330 for a deluxe room, non inclusive of breakfast and taxes). Is it worth the extra dough to stay at the 4S? Which resort has the better beach (i.e., clearer water)? How big are the regular junior suites at PPC? I'll be spending the first part of the honeymoon in the Arenal area -- which is closer by car, the 4S or PPC? HELP!!
Apr 13th, 2004, 05:19 PM

Hello!
I can only comment on PPC. Price wise the two resorts may work out about the same. I think you will pay between $200 and $250 at PPC per person per night in August. And, as you say, it is all inclusive. We have stayed at the Paradisus 3 times (just 2-3 days) and found it to be fun and relaxing. The pool is the largest in Central America and I think you will find the beach to be better here. Playa Conchal is one of the best beaches in the country. The rooms are very nice, big and roomy, with the sleeping area on a slightly higher level. The sitting area and the breakfast areas are also nice. Large bathrooms, bathtub, bidet, marble--separate from the dressing area with mirrors, etc. They have an incredible dance team offerning good shows particular Tuesday through Saturday. There is an excellent band, and the disco is fun. Fantastic golf course (although we aren't golfers).

Haven't stayed at the new Four Seasons. We did drive down the long bricked road that leads from the entrance gates to the reception area recently. They were still working on the grounds, and it definitely takes up the entire Papagayo Peninsula. I walked through the property a bit with an employee (that's a whole other story--we were looking for someone who worked there). We have stayed nearby in past years (Allegro Papagayo) and generally the beaches in this area are a little less desirable.

We really like the Conchal area primarily because it is close to Tamarindo, crazy little Playa Brasilito, and Playa Flamingo. Very easy to get out and check out the area. This is not the case at the Four Seasons. Long road in, long road out, then nothing close by to go and see or do!
Apr 20th, 2004, 12:06 PM
Original Poster

Thanks shillmac for your response. Yeah, I am bit torn between the two and worried if there are any nearby restaurants (that are good) from the Four Seasons, given that it's not all-inclusive. I think it comes down to which is the better beach...although Costa Rica ain't known for it's snorkling, I wonder which beach has the better snorkling opportunities.
Apr 20th, 2004, 02:15 PM
Iza

The beach at Paradisus (called Playa Conchal) is probably the nicest in all of Costa Rica but snorkeling off the beach is not like in Hawaii. Playa Conchal has just a little snorkeling by the rocks on the right hand side.

Don't hesitate to consider other places in CR during the rainy season. There should be no appreciable difference in weather between, say, Punta Islita and Paradisus. We travel to CR in August (have done it 3 times) and find the weather just fine.

Also, have you seen Florblanca's website - we stayed there last August and it is a great place for a honeymoon (www.florblanca.com).

Playa Conchal and the 4 Seasons should be about the same distance from Arenal.
May 23rd, 2004, 05:49 PM

Iza, how was the weather there last Aug? We are thinking of going to Conchal in Aug or Sept this year.