Honeymoon Help - Costa Rica or Mexican Riviera

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24th, 2008, 10:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're planning a short honeymoon (5-6 days) at the very end of August and are considering Costa Rica or the Mexican Riviera. We're looking for romantic luxury beach accommodations, but also an area where there are some activities to do / sights to see. Ideally, I'd love something really beautiful and unique. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Also, how big of a risk am I taking with the weather? Thanks.

aari
Old Jun 24th, 2008, 11:20 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
It's not a risk, it's pretty definitely the rainy season on the Pacific/west coast of Mexico in August (i.e., Puerto Vallarta)!!! It will be hot, very humid, and with likely anywhere from a little to a lot of rain.

Sorry, don't know a thing about Costa Rica.
Old Jun 24th, 2008, 11:58 AM

If you don't mind a little development, you might look at Manuel Antonio in Costa Rica - check out Buena Vista Villas or Tulemar. There's a nice national park in the area with a beautiful beach, and wildlife like monkeys and sloths. You can horseback ride and do mangrove tours, also lots of great restaurant choices and beautiful sunsets.
Old Jun 24th, 2008, 12:28 PM

I have been to both areas I like costa rica far better than Mexico. I think it depends on what you are looking for mexico is a bigger party/nightlife area more all inclusive and luxury resorts. costa rica has beaches,wildlife, and activities. If you want to just sit on a beach and relax I would lean toward mexico I have done several tours there ruins, snorkel,cozumel, isla mujer, party boats and others.
but costa rica for me is the winner you can stay on the beach visit a rainforest see monkeys and birds . you can drink the water, no body is begging for money and I think if you enjoy these things you will love it. with only 5-6 days you need to pick only 1 area or if you must do 2 try staying some place close to san jose than head out check out peace lodge see falls and gardens you could spend a night there luxury and head to manuel antonio area I stayed at si como no also try costa verde have fun. you can hike do boat tours horseback,mangrove tours, zipline and beaches and rain forest.
Old Jun 24th, 2008, 12:37 PM

A night at the Peace Lodge is a great suggestion; we loved it there - an over the top property with beautiful views, waterfall hike, jacuzzis, waterfall showers, and a hummingbird garden. We thought it was very honeymoonish, more so than other properties in CR.
Old Jun 24th, 2008, 02:58 PM

Also in Manuel Antonio, there's a spot called Makanda by the Sea; we had friends that honeymooned there and enjoyed it. Take a look at all the spots that interest you on tripadvisor.com to see if they fit your style - usually lots of pics available, as well as reviews.
Old Jun 24th, 2008, 02:58 PM

Been both places lots.

Costa Rica would be my pick hands down for romance and variety

skyauction.com has luxury Papagayo
all-inclusive luxury packages at very reasonable prices.PM rain from
thunderstorms usually 1/2 of days.
Mexico will be about the same just
be prepared

Nicoya will have the beachiest weather with lots of romantic options to go to arenal.net monteverde.com.Much more variety
nature exotic scenery than mexico
for me.

Congrats and have fun,
Old Jun 24th, 2008, 03:01 PM

Item no: 1407216 2008 - 2009 Bid Per Package Valid for a 7 Night Stay at your Choice of All Inclusive Allegro Papagayo or All Inclusive Occidental Grand Papagayo Resorts with Roundtrip Air to Liberia, Costa Rica via a Major US Carrier!
Qty Available: 1 - 8
End Date: 6/26 1:00 PM EDT
Departure Dates: now - 12/13/08, 1/7/09 - 3/31/09
Airline: Major US Carrier
Min/Max Stay: 7 nights
Minimum Bid: $751

skyauction.com