Honduras - quick trip

Jan 16th, 2009, 02:01 PM
Original Poster

Honduras - quick trip

I found a $224 rt fare Miami-San Pedro Sula.

My plan is a quick trip to visit Copan ruins and check out the Spanish school (to decide a future, longer visit to study Spanish there).

Day 1:
Arrival San Pedro Sula airport
Transfer: Airport to hotel
Question: IS IT SAFE FOR A SOLO FEMALE TO GRAB ANY TAXI FROM THE AIRPORT?
Hotel: Intercontinental, San Pedro Sula

Day 2:
Travel via Hedman Alas to Copan
QUESTION: SHOULD I PURCHASE BUS TICKET ONLINE NOW OR WAIT TIL ARRIVAL IN SAN PEDRO SULA?
Bus boarding time: 10:40am
Travel time: 2.5hrs
Hotel: Hacienda San Lucas

Day 3:
Copan Hotel: Hacienda San Lucas

Day 4:
Copan Hotel: Hacienda San Lucas

Day 5
Travel via Hedman Alas: Copan-SAP airport
Transfer: Hacienda San Lucas to Bus station
Bus boarding time: 10:30am
Travel time: 2.5hrs
QUESTION: DO I HAVE ENOUGH TIME TO CATCH MY FLIGHT, OR SHOULD I RETURN FROM COPAN THE DAY BEFORE?
Transfer: Bus station to SAP airport
Flight departure: 3:15pm

thank you for your replies!
Jan 16th, 2009, 06:37 PM

Sounds good!

I think you'll be safe catching a taxi at the airport.

I think you'll be safe buying your ticket at the airport, though if you're arriving late (implied by your choice to stay in SPS the 1st night) the office just outside of the airport might be closed. In that case I'd purchase ahead.

The 10:30 bus might be pushing it. You don't say when you're going but that road can be plagued by landslides during rainy times and the trip (in our experience) is usually more like 3 hours even with clear roads. Then you'll have to taxi from the bus station to the airport and you should arrive 2 hours ahead. I don't blame you for not wanting to take the 5:15am Hedman bus but that would be better imo than having to stay in SPS again.

I haven't stayed at Hacienda San Lucas but have visited and hiked there many times - it's beautiful and a great choice.

Here's a link to my photo collections; travelogue and blog links with lots of ideas for activities in the area are on the main page of each collection: http://flickr.com/photos/staceyholeman/collections

If it's the Ixbalanque school you're scoping out, please tell the directors, Kathy and Amadea, hi from Stacey in Oregon and that I miss them. Happy trails!
Jan 19th, 2009, 12:28 PM
Original Poster

Hi Stacey:
Thanks for your detailed reply. And the link to your photos, wow - now I"m really excited to go.

1) Yes, it's the Ixbalanque school I'm checking out.

2) Arrival SAP airport is too late to catch a Hedman bus to Copan, hence the overnight at Intercontinental.
Thanks to your tip - I will buy my Hedman ticket AT THE AIRPORT!
Is their office just outside the airport exit?

3) It's Hedman 10:40AM bus from SPS to Copan.

3) Hacienda San Lucas sounds lovely.
Have you done the zipline?
I'd like to check that out.

4) Copan to Airport will now be private xfer.
Don't want to return the day before and spend the night at SPS.
The Hedman 5:15am is too early, and the 10:30am is too late to catch my flight.
Private shuttle leaves 9:30AM direct to the airport for my flight at 3:30PM, costs $150 (less if there are more people; at this time it's only me).

Any other tips you share, I'd appreciate!
I'll give your regards to the Ixbalanque directors.

Jan 19th, 2009, 12:33 PM
Original Poster

PS
I leave for SPS in 5 days!
Jan 19th, 2009, 06:34 PM

You lucky duck! The 10:30 bus I was referring to is the one back to SAP at the end of your stay - sounds like the shuttle is a good plan. You might be able to hook up with someone from the school who is interested (depending on the day of the week you're leaving) if you talk to Amadea and Kathy about it. The students study 8-12 and 1:30-5:30 with a break in the middle (about 10am and 3:30pm); you could head to the school just before or after class or during break to see if anyone's interested.

The Hedman Alas office at the airport is on the left as you exit, across the wide sidewalk area from where the taxis queue up.

I haven't done the zipline. The best ideas I can give you are all listed on the blog - things I did with my friends last summer; in case you didn't find the link from the pictures here it is: http://liveandlearninca.blogspot.com/

To view the 1st posts of the 2008 Live and Learn trip blog, scroll to the bottom and click “older posts”, then scroll from bottom to top. Hit “back” and scroll bottom to top for the final posts.

Also, here's a link to information I posted on the TT forum about my favorite artisan. I don't think he would remember my name but say "hi" to him from Stacey just the same. I'm still doling out beautiful necklaces I bought from him for birthday presents, though I want to keep each one.

Have a blast! We're looking forward to your travelogue!

Jan 19th, 2009, 06:35 PM

Oops - here's the link to the TT post:
http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntre...19943&tstart=0
Jan 20th, 2009, 10:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Stacey.

I will check out Carlos the Carver.
Thanks for the tip.

Lastly, are there many MOSQUITOES this time of year in Copan?
I want to come prepared
Jan 20th, 2009, 11:27 AM

I've only visited in the summer and the mozzies haven't been bad. Take good bugstuff in a small container and use it when you're in the woods, at least that's what I do. Happy trails!