Search

high end lodge in pantanal

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31st, 2006, 05:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
high end lodge in pantanal

Is there such a thing as a high end lodge in the pantanal?
Old Apr 1st, 2006, 07:50 AM

No such creature!!! I think you will be roughing it!!! I haven't gone yet, but have researched it- lucky for hot water, but who cares if you are in the pantanal!!
Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 10:54 AM
Original Poster

Ok then is there anything decent? Where did you decide to stay?
Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 12:00 PM

I won't be able to do it this year, but I was looking at tha Caiman lodge www.caiman.co.br
If you do a Google search for pantanal hotels, you might find other similar choices. Caiman lodge looked to be what I was looking for. I wanted to do about 5 days there, and about 5 days in Manu/Tambopata, andc it was just too expensive for this year. Good Wishes!
Old Sep 26th, 2007, 04:23 AM

I've just been to Cayman, and can confirm that it IS a high-end lodge, up to par with private lodges in it's African counterpart Okavango. But the price is much better, lol.

If you have the choice, perhaps do not pick the main lodge but one of the two other lodges on the property, like we did. We found those to be more "close to nature feeling" compared to the main lodge where rooms are around a pool. Our lodge had a great view over a floodplain. Better than any pool view, lol.

Cayman really is top notch, but that's no surprise as the owner got his ideas from African lodges. Tours are done with a (local) driver plus an English speaking guide with a university degree in Biology. They have tours in an open truck (no jeep) both day and night, walking tours (both day and night), horse tours, kayak... you name it.

Normally, one lodge = one group (most people seem to come and go at the same time, typically in a half-week itinerary), and one group sticks together. So I don't know if private safaris are available.

However, I know you can book a private guide if you are keen on birding, at an additional cost. His name is Victor, and he's incredible when it comes to birds.

Wildlife: well, South-America is for birds what Africa is for mammals, so... not that many mammals perhaps, but birdlife is incredible. Just unbelievably incredible. We're talking 100+ species per day EASILY if you are a birder with a bit of experience.
Now, there ARE mammals to be seen, rest assured! We did not see big cats (still shy, they are no longer hunted here, but ARE hunted in other Pantanal areas), but we did see plenty of coatis, capybara, deer, foxes, wild dogs, even a giant anteater. Plus the smaller rodents of course.

Cayman also supports two wildlife projects (leopards and blue macaw) that are well worth supporting.

For the record; I was extremely pleaed with my stay at Cayman, and to be honest it was the best safari experience I had so far ...and that's not a small statement, coming from a man who lost his heart in Africa. I am thinking of switching continents, lol.

Ciao,

J.
Old Oct 7th, 2007, 02:00 PM

PixelPower,
I found your Brazil comments. That is exactly the lodge I had questions about. I am considering it as part of a return trip to the Pantanal. Thanks for the comments. Now here are some questions.

Did you go alone? If so, how does that work with the transport and the activities.

If you went with a group, what group?

What was the vehicle like that you did your wildlife viewing in?

If you wanted to skip some activities like piranha fishing or horseback riding, could you do so?

How many nights?

Thanks!

Suzic,
If you are still researching, email me. I just came back and also had a fabulous time.
Old Oct 15th, 2007, 12:58 AM

Hey Lynn,

Found your post! ;-)

Now for the replies to your questions; we came with just two people; me and my wife. But we were added to a group.

Actually, it seemed to go like this: you arrive at the entrance of the main lodge with a number of people in a minivan. Some get off here, but we had to drive on to the Cordilheira lodge. There we met with the other people of our group. Most of them arrived earlier that day. It may have been a coincidence, but it looks as if we were divided by age. All the older people were in the main lodge. Our group was rather "young". Our group was...
- two English people (in their 20s)
- two Scottisch people (40s)
- two Austrian sisters (in their 20s)
- two couples from NY (30s-40s)
- a Brazilin family (40s + 2 kids)
- we (30s)
So that makes 14 plus the guide. The lodge was full (one room is for the guide).

From then on, there's an itinerary on a blackboard. It specifies three activities a day (morning, afternoon and night). These are the "normal" activities (ic. they are included in the price, and you do them together with the rest of the group).

You CAN skip tours if you want, and just spend that time at your lodge (or at the main lodge, but then you have to arrange for transportation ...unless the group plans on going there themselves of course). You can also arrange special tours. For example; there's a guide (Victor) that's renowed for his knowledge of birds and you can book a full day of birding with him.

Normally, there's no way to switch certain activities, but ther are exceptions (f.e. the Austrian girls were leaving a day earlier and really wanted to go horse rifding, so they arranged that especially for them).

We were there for four days/three nights which seemed to be typical (they host two groups per week, per lodge I think)

We difinitely need to talk later on, by email, as I plan to go back. Not next year (that's already booked; Botswana) but perhaps the year after that. I plan to go back to cayman, but also to visit the other side of the Pantanal (where you have been).

Soon, I'll start my trip report on Aardvarktravel, but right now I'm still working on the images I shot.

Ciao,

J.

Old Oct 15th, 2007, 09:31 AM

Thank you PixelPower.

Not next year for me either. And I want to include where you have been!
Old Oct 15th, 2007, 01:34 PM

Pixiepower, were the Austrian sisters who wanted to ride horses twins? I ask because we took the trans-Siberian train with Austrian twin sisters who loved to ride horses at our stops. Just curious.
Old Oct 15th, 2007, 11:33 PM

Um... I dunno. They were the same age, but looked very different. One girl had been working in a clinic for a couple of months (plastic surgery business, what else?), and her sis came over for a short visit of the country. After that, they went back to EU I think.
Old Oct 15th, 2007, 11:37 PM

Lynn,

i forgot to say; safari drives are in an open truck with canvas roof. Plenty of space to sit, and even with a full truck you get to see everything (roof is rather high). Getting the best position is something else; sometimes an animal will pop up on the other side of where you are. Luckily, I was the only one with serious gear, so I could always ask someone to switch for a moment or two, just to take a pic. Of course, I promised to share my pics with all of the people in my group.

I had a very busy time after our Brazil tip, and have only started working on the pics yesterday. I hope to finish the Pantanal part this week, so then I can contact them in the weekend. They may think I'm dead by now...

Ciao,

J.
Old Oct 16th, 2007, 04:38 PM

The Mystery of the Traveling Austrian Twins!

Thanks for the additional remarks. By the way, would you consider Caiman a "high end lodge"?

I was told that Baiazinha (on the Paraguay River) was the nicest lodge in the Pantanal because it was built for fisherman and they like nice places.
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 04:20 AM

Caiman is certainly high end! Actually, it's the best lodge I've ever stayed in. And the best on all levels; lodging, comfort, meals, guides, ... But it's NOT luxurious. Well, at least the Cordillera lodge was not, I dunno about the other two lodges on the Caiman estate.
So if you go, do not expect silver cutlary and bubble baths ans such. Howerer, there IS airco and ceiling fan (we used it as little as possible) and a swimming pool, and buffet-style meals, etc...