Hidalgo??

Old Oct 12th, 2020, 02:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hidalgo??

Looking for a place to travel this winter, from Miami. Since I am a barbecue fanatic, I've long wanted to visit Hidalgo, and just today a person from el DF was talking about Las Grutas de Tolantongo. After food, swimming is my greatest passion.

Open to all ideas for a trip of about 10 days to Mexico in Jan/Feb. Points for easy access from MEX. No problem hiring a taxi or driver; probably would be solo. Does the Pachuca/Hidalgo area hold enough for me to spend some time??? If not??/ Not so interested in resorts, but as I said, want to be able to swim.

Speak good Mexican Spanish and am a female who would likely travel alone, which I have done often in Mexico.
Old Oct 12th, 2020, 02:46 PM
Original Poster

Baldone, please forgive..I see that you answered a lot of my questions a few years ago...

Pachuca?
Old Oct 13th, 2020, 09:53 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
There isn't much swimming in the Grutas themselves, as the river is pretty shallow and the caves kinda rocky. Some sort of water shoes are a must. I believe at least one of the hotels there has a pool. It's been some time since we've been to Tolantongo, and at that time I don't recall a pool. But I think a newer hotel has been built. I had thought I'd done a trip report on Huasca and Real Del Monte, but I don't see it. But I'd think that with the Grutas, Pachuca (where we didn't spend much time at all), Real/Mineral Del Monte (same place, 2 names), and Mineral Del Chico, you could probably fill 10 days especially with a couple nights in CDMX. As far as swimming, unfortunately many lakes and rivers tend to be polluted, as you know. But the streams and such in the area I described not nearly as much, if at all. Another good area for swimming might be the Huasteca Potosína. Media Luna, Tamasopo & Puente de Dios comes to mind. The hotel Real Tamasopo has a huge pool.
Old Oct 14th, 2020, 07:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much! Having you is like having a personal travel guide to Mexico!!

I am so conflicted about travel right now. Mexico lets in USA citizens and is close to Miami. We have a plan to go too Chile but right now they will now allow us to enter and the trip is in January. So I can just wait and dream and read all I can.....I am indebted to you for all your help.
Old Oct 17th, 2020, 07:38 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Your query got me considering a short trip somewhere. Covid permitting. I mentioned La Huasteca. This is a place I'd stay to complement my other tours of the area. We've not been to Xilitla or Tamul yet. Since you like swimming, (my wife too) this place seems ideal. Both hot springs and sweet water pools. Close to Cd Valles so a driver or tours I'm thinking would be easy to secure. Fwiw. I for sure bookmarked it.
https://www.facebook.com/TaninulHotel/