Search

First Trip

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15th, 2020, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First Trip

Looking for feedback on this itinerary. I am planning a two week trip and renting a vehicle. I haven't booked anything so I can start and end wherever it makes the most sense. I would like to visit the following areas but I am not sure it is doable or how long to stay at each location: Osa Pennisula, Uvita, Dominical, Monteverde, LaFortuna, Arenal. Two days would be travel days in and out of Costa Rica, leaving 10 days for touring. Thoughts?

Last edited by kibbles01; Oct 15th, 2020 at 07:58 AM.
Old Oct 15th, 2020, 08:13 AM

For me, that's way too many locations in that short of a time frame. It takes a long time to travel from place to place. Most people spend at least three or four days in the Arenal area, at least two or three in Monteverde, at least three on the Osa, etc.; we usually go to Manuel Antonio for beach time, and I'd spend at least three days there as well - you could sub Dominical/Uvita. Arenal and La Fortuna are the same place - the town is La Fortuna, and the volcano is called Arenal.
Old Oct 15th, 2020, 11:06 AM

Any thoughts on which month? Green season May into November you can get torrential rain so the Osa would be risky.

I'm not sure I would include Monteverde in a short trip depending on how bad the roads are.

For Arenal I actually split my time between the Arenal Observatory Lodge and La Fortuna. For beach time I agree with Manuel Antonio. Around Uvita/Dominical some of the beaches tend to be underwater except at low tide. If you wanted to do a loop you could also go Manuel Antonio, Domincal, San Gerardo de Dota and back to San Jose.
Old Oct 15th, 2020, 12:15 PM
Original Poster

Thanks valcanogirl for the feedback. What if we stayed near Sierpe area for 7 days and toured around and then made way to Monteverde and La Fortuna for remaining 5 days, skipping Manuel Antonia altogether? Looking to spend some time off the beaten path so to speak and then in the more touristy, activity based area. Fly in via San Jose and out via San Jose or Liberia?
Old Oct 15th, 2020, 12:22 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for ideas mlgb. Looking at travelling sometime between January and February. I didn’t know that about Beaches in Uvita and Domincal. We aren’t huge beach people, maybe couple days, more for explorerIng and finding hidden treasures.
Old Oct 16th, 2020, 08:07 PM

Monteverde isn't one of my favorite spots. Are you really into birding? That's the biggest draw there. We really love La Fortuna/Arenal area though, so much to do and see. Have not been to Sierpe, but we've been to the Osa in July and surprisingly didn't get a drop of rain. January and February are good times to travel. What draws you to Sierpe? It's not usually the first spot on most people's radar.
Old Oct 19th, 2020, 10:00 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by volcanogirl
Monteverde isn't one of my favorite spots. Are you really into birding? That's the biggest draw there. We really love La Fortuna/Arenal area though, so much to do and see. Have not been to Sierpe, but we've been to the Osa in July and surprisingly didn't get a drop of rain. January and February are good times to travel. What draws you to Sierpe? It's not usually the first spot on most people's radar.
I was really considering the Osa area for wildlife and to be off the beaten path. Thought it would be a good area to explore with less of a touristy feel. I think though I will only travel as far as Dominical/Uvita and do day trips in this area.