Help with Itinerary please

May 14th, 2010, 08:21 PM
Original Poster

Help with Itinerary please

Hi! My husband and I are traveling to Costa Rica for two weeks in Sept to celebrate our one year anniversary. We are up for adventure combined with a few days of downtime for relaxation.
After spending way too much time on travel forums and every website having anything to do with CR, we have created a draft itinerary. (thanks to all who posted )
Arrive in San Jose around noon and head straight to Arenal area probably by shuttle bus or public transport. Stay at Silencio del Campo right outside Fortuna. I debated staying at the Observatory Lodge but without having a car to get around town, having the hot springs in walking distance of the hotel seemed to be a better option.
I should also mention we are trying to do this on a somewhat conservative budget and although we consider ourselves to be adventurous we don”t want to have to deal with any of the stress of driving.
We plan to stay near Arenal for 3 days and then head to Tortuguero for 3 days (not sure where we are staying here yet). Lastly, we will end up at La Costa De Pappito’s in Peurto Viejo for 4 days.
I figured I would either leave the last few days unplanned to see where we feel like going or just staying in Puerto vijeo. Another option would be to squeeze in Monteverde after Arenal. Does anyone have any suggestions regarding going to Monteverde in Sept? Also if you have any recommendations on other areas, hotels, transport, etc. I would appreciate it.
Thanks Mucho!
May 14th, 2010, 08:58 PM

That sound like a great trip! I love Silencio del Campo and don't think you'll be disappointed in that choice. Haven't stayed at Costa de Papito but right next door at Azania Bungalows. Great location. In Tortuguero I really love Turtle Beach Lodge and it's in a perfect spot on the beach backed by canals. Endless kayaking on your own. Really beautiful.
May 15th, 2010, 02:41 AM

I would expect Arenal and Monteverde to be pretty rainy. September and October and the rainiest months for certain areas of the country. Weirdly enough, that's a great time of year to visit the Caribbean side. If you do go to Monteverde, we really liked Fonda Vela. They have some new junior suites that are spacious, have nice views, small frig in room and a bathtub. Their onsite restaurant is good, and we saw toucans on the property. It's also one of the closest hotels to the reserve. In addition to Turtle Beach, Laguna Lodge and Mawamba Lodga are popular in Tortuguero. Most lodge packages usually give you two nights there and that was about right for us. I think you'll be happy with Silencio del Campo.
May 15th, 2010, 04:34 AM

You choices are good maybe Mawamba for

www.tortugueroinfo.com then www.lacostadepapito.com

Usually pretty rainy in Sept.

Hotel Viandante nice for budget in MV

skip Montezuma not enough time...
May 15th, 2010, 09:15 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! That really helps to narrow it down and I appreciate the suggestions.