Help with Belize please!!

Dec 2nd, 2010, 10:38 AM
Original Poster

Help with Belize please!!

My husband and I are going to Belize last minute... 12/11-12/17. We have never been are going to check out houses and the country to see if we want to buy there. My husband is very afraid of flying the small planes and doesn't want to go to many hotels - so we were considering just the two Coppola hotels - Turtle inn in Placencia and Blancaneaux Lodge in San Ignacio Rain Forest. We're more beach people that adventure people... and it's hard for me to be in the back seat of a car (i get car sick)... so do we go to beach first and then rain forest? 3 nights each place or 4 nights beach and 2 nights rain forest? and do we fly from belize city to placencia and be driven to lodge and then back to belize city... or rent a car in belize city and drive ourselves everywhere? Any help or suggestions would be greatly apprecaited! Michele
Dec 2nd, 2010, 10:58 AM

Just wanted to say that there is ferry service out to Ambergris Caye, and Caye Caulker, so your husband's fear of small aircraft needn't stop you from seeing them.
Dec 2nd, 2010, 11:02 AM

I'm planning a trip in March. I have never been to Belize, so I will probably not be much help, but here's my two cents worth.
From the topic I started, this is the general opinion I got as a response. Do inland first, then you can relax and unwind on the beach for the last part of the trip.
We still are undecided if we will do three nights inland or only two before moving our vacation to the caye. There was also general agreement in my topic thread that it will be better for us to not rent a car in our situation. I am still thinking I might, just for the freedom of it. It sounds like many buses are not express, and they may stop frequently to pick people up. If you get car sick, renting a car may be best because then you can travel at your own pace and stop for a breather if need be. Of course, you may have trouble finding houses on your own if you don't have a driver to take you there, depending on you or your husband's nav skills.
The tidbits of info I got suggest if you rent a car, do not drive after dark when visibility is bad (about 6pm) and fill up the tank whenever you see a gas station because you might not see one again for a while. check out this website for rental, if you are interested. To me, it looks like renting a vehicle can actually save you money if you take a taxi all over as an alternate to the bus. Taxis sound like they are very expensive in Belize

http://www.crystal-belize.com/rentals.html
I haven't come across any others, but I haven't really searched yet.

My husband also gets uncomfortable flying, small planes are worse because you feel so much more of what is going on around you. If your husband gets nervous flying I would not use planes again after landing at BZE, it's not worth him feeling like that. That's just my opinion due to my own husband's feelins toward flying.
Dec 2nd, 2010, 11:03 AM

BL has a private airstrip. The drive from Intl to BL takes 2.5 hrs, the last 30 mins on bumpy road. The drive from BL to TI is 3.5 hrs, 30 mins on bumpy roads. Drive from TI to Intl is 3 hrs. The main hywys are paved and well marked and its a lovely drive. Both TI and BL are great places and areas to stay. Cayo would be my choice of where to live on the mainland and TI is in Placencia, where you will find plenty of houses or land. You can also drive 45 mins to Hopkins, another coastal village. Or further south in Toledo a very interesting district with both sea and rainforest. Lots to do while at BL-Mayan sites, caves, waterfalls, hiking, mtn biking, butterfly farms and more. You could easily spend 4 nights there and be busy every day. Both BL and TI have spas on property.
Dec 2nd, 2010, 11:13 AM

Yes, I forgot to mention, depending on what type of beach people you are--- we were first planning Placencia, but after advise from others here we switched to Ambergris or Caye Caulker. Placencia has beautiful beaches, but from the sound of it are very shallow quite a ways of shore. Also far from the reef if you snorkel. We love to snorkel and Ambergris and Caye Caulker have better options for that purpose.
If we rent a vehicle, this is what we would do:
Get picked up from BZE by the rental company, get our car, and drive to our hotel inland. Then we can explore as we see fit. when we leave inland to go to the Caye, we will drive the car back to the Belize City car company and return it. After this point we would not need it on the Caye. We'd get a ride from the rental shop to the dock for a water taxi to the caye. It looks like you can get a water taxi from around 20-40 depending.
Dec 2nd, 2010, 11:15 AM

But Katie would be the one to know about where to buy so listen to her! lol
Dec 2nd, 2010, 03:00 PM

Check out Victoria House on Ambergris; you can take the ferry there so you don't have to fly. It's beautiful and close to the reef so you can do the amazing snorkeling at Hol Chan if it interests you. We loved it. We liked doing the jungle/ruins first because the cayes are so amazing and relaxing that you won't want to leave - great to unwind at the end of the trip.
Dec 2nd, 2010, 03:06 PM

If you have any interest in living on Ambergris, Jean could be a big help to you; they live there part of the year.
Dec 2nd, 2010, 03:59 PM
Original Poster

I believe most of the houses we are going to be looking at to buy are near Turtle Inn - so we have to go to Placenia... (instead of the Caye). and the Coppola hotels don't have the availability to do the jungle first and then do the beach... so maybe we'll just rent a car in belize city - drive to Placenia, stay 3 nights - drive to the lodge in the jungle - 3 nights - then back to the airport!? seem crazy or easy?
Dec 4th, 2010, 04:23 PM

I've been to Belize 4 times, the last visit was in January. It is a wonderful place but I wouldn't drive a car in Belize City for love nor money as it would be very tricky to find your way around that crazy city. A good way to get from A to B is to hire a taxi. This can be more economical than renting a car and you have the added bonus of a guide in the form of your driver. We usually travel the interior first then head to Caye Caulker. You can stay on Caulker or Ambergris and book tours to anywhere in Belize from there also. It is such an easy country to tour and there is so much to see. If you like to snorkel I recommend the sail boat trip from the Northern Cayes to Placencia. It is all good!
Jan 2nd, 2011, 11:07 AM
Original Poster

We wound up just going to Frances Ford Coppola's two properties - Turtle Inn and Blancaneaux Lodge - and they were two of the most spectacular places we have ever been !!! Paradise.... i LOVED belize!
Jan 3rd, 2011, 12:38 PM

Jan 11th, 2011, 02:58 PM

A3Queen - got any more info on this trip. We are looking in to this for May. Thought their package sounded great. Any pointers?
Jan 17th, 2011, 05:31 PM

Another option for similar package, luxury accommodations is Chabil Mar and Chaa Creek. I have been to Turtle Inn and Blancaneaux and they are very beautiful as said above, however, they are both similar accommodations, thatched roofs and no A/C. I love A/C sorry.

Chabil Mar and Chaa Creek are not affiliated except as two wonderful resorts, same general location as the Blancaneaux group, and different accommodation options.

Just thought I would bring these to your attention so you have similar options to explore and consider.

Search this Thread