Search

Help with Argentina Planning Please!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11th, 2004, 11:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with Argentina Planning Please!

Hi,

We are planning to go to Argentina in mid-late September and we are in our twenties and on a a pretty tight budged. I found that www.go-today.com has some pretty good deals for BA where they offer airfare+hotel for about $700 after all the taxes. We would like to spend a week in BA but also spend another week traveling around Argentina seeing less touristy sights or just being in beautiful nature or hiking. Patagonia is too cold in September, so we were considering maybe Bariloche or Mendoza. Where is a good place to go? Is it safe to leave the planning to when we are already in BA so as to take advantage of the cheaper prices or should we plan everything in advance while we are in the States? Thank you so much - this is the first South America trip for both of us so any advice is welcome!
Old Aug 11th, 2004, 01:14 PM

Hi,
Have you think on renting an apartment for the week in Buenos Aires? I know it is cheaper than a hotel because I have a friend that has an apartment fully equipment, well decorated and in downtown and the rent is USD 175 per week. If you are interested I can send you some photos of the apartment.
With regard to the other week if you do not like cold so much I suggest you to visit the North of the country (Province of Salta, Jujuy, Tucuman) which are very nice and different places; and the other place is Iguazu Falls which are beautiful. With good organization maybe you can visit both.
I think you can arrange everything when you are here because September is not high season.
If you want I can help you with everything. Write me here or to my personal e-mail, I will be pleased to help you.
Cheers!!!

Daniela
Old Aug 11th, 2004, 02:42 PM
Original Poster

An apartment is not really what I need because it saves me money to book the hotel and air together. However, I would love to hear people's advice about external tours. I got a quote to go to Mendoza from BA and stay there for 3 nights for about $300 and to Bariloche for 3 nights around $400, including the airfare. Are those good deals or can I find something even better? I am not looking for luxury hotels.
Old Aug 11th, 2004, 04:11 PM

The biggest expense will probably be airfare rather than hotel. Find a package that includes flights on Southern Winds rather than Aerolineas to save $. Southern Winds offers discounted fares to foreigners, Aerolineas charges full fare coach to non-residents. You can book through an Argentina travel agent and still get the lower fare from Southern Winds, provided you purchase at least 10 days in advance. Cintia or wowagrentina.com is frequently recommended and very reputable.

Both Bariloche and Mendoza are relatively safe. If you go to Mendoza, try to book a package that includes winery tours and an excursion to the mountains. The Americano is a newer, reasonably priced hotel.
Old Aug 11th, 2004, 07:44 PM

I was just down in Buenos Aires. September will be very nice since it's spring. Check out the deals that Buquebus offers. Buquebus is a highspeed ferry from BsAs to Colonia and Montevideo. We paid $120 for roundtrip ticket and two nights in a 4-star hotel in Montevideo(a deal).
Old Aug 12th, 2004, 05:36 AM
Original Poster

That sounds great! I tried looking at the Buquebus site and was impressed with the ferry speed / prices. Do you think it's ok to just book it once we're in BsAs or should I do it in advance?
Old Aug 12th, 2004, 11:43 AM

Maria:

Double and triple check to make sure that the package is cheaper. Sometimes it looks cheap, but if you do the arithemetic it comes out about the same as booking on your own.

I would suggest looking in Palermo Viejo for hostel or B&B options. Since you live in NYC, I'll break it down for you. Centro=Midtown and Wall Street rolled into one. Recolleta=Upper East. Palermo=Upper West. Palermo Viejo=Soho. San Telmo=East Village (circa 1987). La Boca=Bed Sty.....I know, I know. I'm kind of kidding about those last two...

The Malabia House is the really nice version of what i'm suggesting(gorgeous B&B), but it's a good benchmark.

Jon
Old Aug 12th, 2004, 01:14 PM
Original Poster

thanks Jon...that was actually pretty helpful, with the neighborhoods. However, most flights of NYC that I've found are around 700 after taxes (I haven't found anything cheaper and I've been looking a LOT) and it follows that I can't beat a hotel+air price that's around 700....Let me ask you another question: Is it ok to go to Bariloche in the end of September in terms of weather? I don't mind spring/chilly, but is it just plain COLD? And although I love skiing, I wasn't planning on doing it this vacation so would I still be ok in Bariloche doing other outdoorsy things like hiking?
Thankyouthankyou!
Old Aug 12th, 2004, 02:57 PM

I was in the bariloche area last August and went skiing. It was chilly, but not frigid in Bariloche...the slopes were cold. September should be somewhat warmer.

Old Aug 30th, 2004, 12:57 AM

Have you considered the "Tren a las Nubes" (the Train to the Clouds) at Salta in the north west? There are also other "scenic wonders" nearby as well as wineries at Cafayate.
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 05:28 PM

The Train of the clouds is fantastic. but it takes the whole day. The ones who are interested should hurry up, there are a few places left for the 25 september. Price almost 190 $Arg.
Old Aug 31st, 2004, 12:11 PM

hi maria
how are you?...im just coming back from BA, and i fell in love with that place. the city is simply amazing, superb, such a great vibrant city. it has a feel you'll never forget, trust me! i recommend you to stay at a funky little hostel in san telmo area called gardenhouse. they will provide you with the best deals, since they are connected with small tavel agencies that know all the best deals for young low-budget travellers...they fixed me a tour to mendoza for only 70$, inlcuding 4 days lodging and wine tours, transportation and a great guide. i would definitely go south, patagonia is reaching its best moment when the spring comes. you'll come to BA in the best season of the year, i reckon. anyway, just let the inspiration and the spontaneous vibe of BA surround you, you'll find your way. say hi to the dudes at the gardenhouse on my name, they really got it going on!...happy travels!