Help with 1st Trip to S. America

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 18th, 2008, 11:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are in the earliest stages of planning our 1st trip to S. America for the fall (Oct/Nov). We plan to fly in and out of Buenos Aires and spend 4-6 weeks travelling.

This is loosely how we want to spend our time:

1 week in Buenos Aires
A few days in Lima
1 week in Cuzco area
A few days for Lake Titicaca
Several days in Santiago including winery visits
1 week on Easter Island

Is this doable or are we attempting too much? I would also really appreciate any thoughts on the best sequence for these destinations (beginning and ending in Buenos Aires).

Thanks for your help!
Old May 18th, 2008, 11:39 AM

We've done two 3-week trips to South America (so 6 weeks total), and here's what we've been able to squeeze in:

Easter Island (4 nights)
Iquitos (2 nights)
Cusco (4 nights)
Galapagos (6 nights)
Atacama (4 nights)
Torres Del Paine (4 nights)
Buenos Aires (4 nights)
Iguazu Falls (2 nights)
Pantanal (3 nights)
Rio (3 nights)

There was also a couple of day-stays in Santiago, Lima, Quito, as well as some overnights as well when making transfers.

Based on your interests, and with six weeks, I would suggest the following breakdown:

1) Fly into BsAs
2) Stay a week, with some day trips (including Iguazu, which can actually be an easy full-day trip with the first flight out of AEP in the morning and the last flight back)
3) Fly to SCL, and stay 5 nights, including day trips to Vino del Mar and Valparaiso
4) Fly to Rapa Nui, stay 4-5 nights. The island isn't that big, and you can see most everything in 3-4 days
5) Fly back to SCL, then onto Lima (this can be one in one day)
6) Stay 2-3 days in Lima. We didn't find the city that interesting - just a big city (HALFWAY POINT)
7) Stay 5-7 days in Cusco, Ollantaytamo, Machu Picchu
8) Fly to Lake Titicaca and stay 3 nights
9) Consider flying over Nazca lines while in this area
10) Fly into Calama and stay in the Atacama for 4 nights - you'll like it
11) Consider visiting Salar de Uyuni, which is (relatively) nearby
12) Drive/Fly to Salta, on the Argentine side of the Andes, stay 3 nights
13) Fly back to BsAs, and back home
Old May 18th, 2008, 12:00 PM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I've only been to Argentina and Peru so cant comment on the other portions. I would spend 1 night at Iguazu Falls and not do it as a day trip as was suggested. I did not care for LIma at all, so u could easily just spend 1-2night(s)there and add to Iguazu Falls
I envy your trip however u schedule it!
Old May 19th, 2008, 05:00 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both for your comments. Am really glad to hear that this plan is doable and you have given me some new ideas to consider, too.
Old May 19th, 2008, 07:43 AM

HI mistadobalina:
Would love if you could please respond to my posting as well...It's called 10 day Peru itinerary in June - need suggestions/comments...and I think you would be able to offer some great suggestions. Thanks!
Old May 23rd, 2008, 04:01 AM

I noticed that you don't have Ecuador on your itinerary! I know that one cannot accommodate the many South American wonders in one trip...but nevertheless, Ecuador warrants a second look (especially if you knock out the Lima portion, which is not that exciting in my opinion). The cities of Cuenca in Ecuador, the churches in Quito and the small villages, and the highest active volcano in the world, the Cotopaxi, would make for an incredible jaunt.

Now, to answer your original question... i noticed that you mentioned a visit to Santiago and the wineries. My husband and I went to Chile during Christmas vacation. We spent the night in a wonderful winery in Casablanca called "Matetic." This winery is a small boutique winery and one of the few (or perhaps the only) winery that uses organic grapes in all their wines! We spent the night at the winery, did the tour, and they gave us some bikes so that we can explore the surrounding area. The food at the winery was fantastic... the breakfast was amazing...and the service was very intimate and personalized. You can do only the tour- you don't have to spend the night if you want to visit. We left with lots of wine purchased that was delicious (not cheap)and we were VERY happy with our experience. Enjoy your trip. I will be making my way to Cusco in June.
Old May 25th, 2008, 01:11 PM

How can you not go to the Galapagos Islands? If you are agile enough to crawl in and out of the panga boats, this should not be missed! A full week in Cuzco may be too long, and the same for Lima. Read a few guide books and decide what you want to see in each place, then plan time accordingly.
Old May 27th, 2008, 04:18 PM

I totally agree with Fern192 that a trip to Galapagos should not be missed. I didn't mention it in my original post because a trip to Galapagos is expensive (and i can imagine the trip you have planned already may be costing you quite a bit). But if you have the cash... definitely put it on your list!
Old May 30th, 2008, 08:17 AM
Original Poster

Thanks very much for the comments - especially about Santiago and the wineries. Visiting wineries in Chile is high on our list. We are also thinking of spending a few days in Talca. Any thoughts?

Unfortunately, we will have to let Ecuador wait until the next trip. We like to travel at a pretty leisurely pace, so that is why we are staying in each place so long.
Old Jun 13th, 2008, 05:37 AM

We'd never visited SA before either, and we just returned from a 2 week trip to Peru so that is the onlyplace I can comment on. We too like to slow down and enjoy an area, and we had 8 nights total between Cusco and the Sacred Valley. Your week there will be just about perfect. Lima did absolutely nothing for us. I wouldn't waste my time there. I just finished a verylong tip report if you want to skim through the pertinent parts.
Old Jun 20th, 2008, 10:26 AM

We are just back from Galapagos and Peru. Main island of Isla de Santa Cruz is wonderful, green and lush as Tahiti with lots to do. Most tourists overlook it and head out for the desert dry islands to see wildlife that can be viewed right on Santa Cruz, i.e. blue footed boobies, sea lions ect. Consider a land based trip with a stay at the Finch Bay Resort or the Royal Palm and do you day trip to outer islands from there. By the way, we loved the historic sector of Lima, some of the best colonial architecture you will ever see. The Church of San Pedro is world - class with carved cedar and 22-karat gold overlay. Lima really has cleaned up the downtown with tourist police everywhere. Visiting Peru and not seeing downtown Lima will be a mistake!