3 Weeks in Arg / Chile / Peru

Old Apr 27th, 2007, 04:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3 Weeks in Arg / Chile / Peru

Hi,

Myself and my girlfriend are in the planning stages of a 3 week whistle-stop tour across Argentina / Chile / Peru. We have a draft itinerary and wondered if anyone had any thoughts about places we've missed, places we shouldn't go or time spent a place. Any advice would be gratefully received.

Fly in to Lima (1 night)
Cuzco & Train to Machu Picchu (3 nights)
Santiago (3 nights)
Atacama (2 nights)
Santiago (1 night)
Bus to Mendoza (3 nights)
Buenos Aires (6 nights)

We have a few more days potentially and thought about squeezing in Salata.

Any thoughts?
Old Apr 27th, 2007, 05:26 AM

Your itinerary is not practical... you jump from Cuzco to SAntiago??? and back to Atacama??? from Atacama to Mendoza???? And then to Salta???? YOu need at least a month travelling and a lot of time wasted. What about... Cuzco - Puno - Copacabana (Bolivia), LA PAz - Oruro - (Uyuni - Villazon by train) and from the border to SAlta it will take you about 4-5 days but watching the most amazing sceneries, the same sceneries and places you can see in a tour from SAn Pedro de Atacama. You can make the arrangements also to take a tour from Uyuni to Tupiza and from Tupiza to the Argentinian Border. That is what I would do if I were you. Just an idea. If you need further information get in contact. I love Bolivia and I find it much nicer and intresting than SAn Pedro de Atacama ( and cheaper).
Flintstones
Old Apr 27th, 2007, 05:27 AM

Sorry you need really warm sleeping bags.
Flintstones
Old Apr 28th, 2007, 05:14 PM

Lima 1 night
Cusco and Macchu Picchu 3 nights

Now here is where you need to clarify. There are no flights from Cusco to Santiago. You have to go back to Lima unless you are doing part of the trip overland, but you don't have time. So,

Lima to Santiago (may have to spend night in Lima)
Santiago 3 nights
Fly Santiago to Calama and bus from airport to San Pedro de Atacama 2 nights
As you will arrive in San Pedro with at least half the day gone, try to add a night there too. The tours leave in the mornings.
Fly back and 1 night in Santiago
Bus to Mendoza
Bus or fly to Buenos Aires 6 nights
With 6 nights you could visit the Tigre river delta, visit an estancia.
If you can add days, I would add another night in Cusco. You are barely leaving yourselves time to aclimatise to the altitude of Cusco. The day you arrive you really need to take it easy.
You might try Salta after Mendoza (I don't know much about flights inside Argentina but you often have to return to BA and fly out again).

As you say, it is a whistle stop but it looks OK. Just sort the bit between Cusco and Santiago.
Old Apr 30th, 2007, 09:29 AM
Original Poster

Huentetu,

Thanks for the advice, I think we will take your suggestion of an extra night in Cuzco.

I think we will now swap Atacama for Salta for the train (or more likely jeep) through the clouds.

I appreciate we will have to return thru Lima for Cusco - price we pay for trying to cram as many of the major sights in during one trip.

Thanks

Iain
Old Apr 30th, 2007, 12:05 PM

No, Lain, it is clever to go from San Pedro to Salta,you save a lot of time, buuuuut.... no train, sorry, the ONLY way to go directly is by bus, Geminis or Pullman, both come to Salta through Jama Pass... but the train is dead, for the moment.
Flintstones
Old Apr 30th, 2007, 01:42 PM

Salta is well worth the visit. You'll just have to come back to do the rest!
Old Apr 30th, 2007, 05:34 PM

Oh, yes, Huentetu, the Nw of Argentina, and mainly salta are pleces you should not miss! But I wanted lain knows the train is not working. The train is just one thing to see, yous also have empanadas, wines, Cafayate, rock formations, moonlike sceneries, salt flats, warm vicuñas wool, artisans, gauchos... architecture... faith... an endless list!
Lain, definitelly, you should stop in Purmamarca in the way. I know it will be dark, beause you pass through late at night, but believe, when you wake up you will discover one of the most wondeful sceneries. I recommend EL CARDON; a tiny, inexpensive hotel in town and take, (if they are available)the upper rooms... and in the morning... Well, You`ll see. I do not want to spoilt the surprise.
Flintstones...