Help us pick a Galapagos cruise ship

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 09:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are about to book a 7 day cruise in early July and have looked at several boats and I am starting to get confused .We are seeing offers in the $1200.00 to $2500/week range and it is important that we have a cabin with large windows that open as we both are claustrophobic and we prefer the smaller ships 16-20 passengers seems to make sense.We are both in our 60's and reasonably goood shape and want do to more land "stuff" and less snorkeling.Would love to get some suggestions from people who have recently done this and see what they liked and didn't like.
Old Mar 4th, 2006, 07:13 AM

Barry,

I can comment on Sagitta, a 16-passenger ship. I thought it was lovely. You can get a cabin on top with windows. You could also sleep on the deck in a protected area, which I did one night just for fun. Plenty of open space and air on deck.

I took Bonine each day and had no trouble, despite a weak stomach.

There were several snorkeling trips, though you did not have to go on them. They were midday between the landings and did not replace time walking on the islands. The snorkeling may be a product of the company I booked the trip with and not of the boat itself.

I liked everything and July should be a nice time, not as hot as earlier in the year. Keep in mind that the summer months may produce family bookings with kids on board. You can ask about that.

Have a great trip. There is a good Galapagos book by another Barry. Barry Boyce's A Traveler's Guide to the Galapagos.

Old Mar 6th, 2006, 05:10 AM
z

Yes, get the book and make your own decission
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 02:42 PM

We went on Lindblad Expeditions, on the M.S. Islander, which was really great.

We had choices of expeditions every day (various land and snorkeling options).

My reviews of the Galapagos and Lindblad:
http://www.epinions.com/content_214393130628
http://www.epinions.com/content_213523140228

If you'd like to see photos (including of our cabin, feel free to e-mail me.
[email protected]
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 04:48 PM

We were on the Letty, a 20 passenger boat, in February. She has two identical sister ships, the Eric and the Flamingo.

We did two land landings each day and generally one snorkel each day, and one other event, either an additional snorkel, a panga ride or a little kayak time.

Some of the snorkeling was off the pangas and some was off the beach, giving those who didn't want to snorkel more land time.

The ship had two naturalist guides (excellent) and two pangas which held 12 people each, so we never needed to wait for a landing craft.

There were four cabins on the top deck, these had the biggest windows. I think they open but I am not really sure. In February it was very hot and the air conditioning felt good so opening the window was not an issue for me.

I was on the middle deck, a good amount of windows (not portholes) and an outside door. Our bathroom was extremely spacious for this type of ship and the shower had ample room to bend over and turn around. However the side wall of the cabin slanted inwards over the bed area on this deck (not so on the top deck) so it might give one a claustraphobic feeling.

The food was excellent, the staff wonderful and the sun deck (which also had a shaded portion) was roomy and comfortable. Some people actually went up and slept on the sun (moon) deck under the stars.

The following link gives info on these boats, however we did not book directly with them. We went through Lost World Adventures (recommended), who also made our arrangements in Quito (airport pick-ups / deliveries / private guided tour / atmospheric boutique hotel in the old town)

http://www.ecoventura.com/expedition...letty/info.asp

I was generally told that the old adage "you get what you pay for" is especially true in the Galapagos. I think the only way to get a real bargain is to make a last minute reservation for a boat, but your take your chances on which boat, if any, has space available at that time.

My husband and I both thoroughly enjoyed this trip and were extremely satisfied with our choice of ship. We are in our mid-fifties.

Oh bring plenty off sunscreen and use it liberally!
Old Apr 14th, 2006, 02:34 PM

We used Lindblad last April. We were on the Polaris. It is a little larger than their other ship in the Galapagos, the Islander. Other than size the only other difference is that Polaris has a glass bottom boat which takes people out who are not snorkelling or may just wish to give it a go. If you do snorkel at all I would highly recommend it, we are very amateur snorkellers but snorkelling with the sea lions and the penguins was amazing. The pangas stay close to where you are in the water. One woman was very nervous and the panga crew were very attentive so that she could have the experience. We were in the least expensive cabins which had large windows but they did not open. Good size cabins with an open feeling. Food, activities, staff etc were all first rate from landing in Guayaquil to takeoff from Quito following the cruise. They also offer extensions to Peru which we did not do.
Old Apr 15th, 2006, 08:39 AM

Hi:
We hope to go on the Polaris next Feb., and wanted the least expensive rooms. However, I thought these just had two high portholes, but as I'm a bit of a control freak I prefer a window to check our progress. Which room did you have?