Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Planning an 8 day tour of Galapagos. Any experience with Evolution or Isabella II???

Planning an 8 day tour of Galapagos. Any experience with Evolution or Isabella II???

Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 04:20 PM
Original Poster

We are planning an 8 day tour of the Galapagos for March or April of 2007. After doing some preliminary homework, including Barry Boyce's book, I am considering the smaller boats. We are primarily interested in snorkeling, and have had good experience on smaller boats in GBR and Fiji.
Can anyone review these boats for me, or point me to a review? Appreciate any advice. Thanks. Bill.
Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 05:34 PM

I did the 7 day Galapagos cruise on the Isabella ll and it was terrific.

Percy
Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 08:11 PM
Original Poster

Percy: I'm sure the islands were wonderful.

I take it you were happy with the boat. food. service. guides. etc.??? Any details would be appreciated. Did you snorkel? Get enough time in the water?

Thanks.
Old Aug 24th, 2006, 02:58 PM

No I did not snorkel...a few did , we were all too busy doing the tours of the islands.

The Isabella ll Yacht was great as was the food and the three university graduate guides( degrees in Zoology, Botany , Marine Life etc.)

If you give me your e-mail address I can send you pictures of the Isabella 11 inside( very nice inside) and other pictures I took of some Blue Footed Boobiesand otherbirds and animals.

I had a nicer room than I had on many cruise ships !!

You will do a tour in the morning and then come back for lunch and a rest and then go again about 2 Pm until about 5-5:30 PM.

Then you have a nice dinner and you get an outline of the next days adventure.

I had four full days in Quito before leaving for the Galapagos.

When you arrive at the open air airport in Baltra, look about you, those are Darwin Finches flying around inside the airport , then you you step outside ...look up, those are Frigate birds flying high!!!

Then when you take that ferry ride from Baltra airport to the Island of Santa Cruz...it is only about 10 minutes away by bus from the airport .....look at those birds diving into the water like a spear!!!!....

those are...
The Blue Footed Boobies....wait till you see your first one, you just cannot believe it is really them !!

Have a good time

Percy

Old Aug 26th, 2006, 05:39 AM

Hi

My husband and I went to the Galapagos last February on the Letty, a 20 passenger boat and had a wonderful time. The snorkeling was amazing as were the land based excursions. We had expected wonderful land excursions but we were pleasantly surprised at the amount of snorkeling we did.

Generally, early in the morning we would do a land based excursion, return to the boat and get ready and go out for a snorkeling excursion. After lunch (the food was wonderful) we would do another land based excursion, return to the boat and either snorkel, kayak or explore on the pangas. After dinner there would be a briefing on the next days activities. I think there was only one day we didn't snorkel and that was when we took the bus into the highlands to see the giant tortoises in the wild, however on the flip side, there were also a number of days we did two snorkeling excursions.

We did the trip mainly for the land based adventures and were surprised at the amount of snorkeling. The snorkeling was as memorable as the land based activities. We had sea lions playfully circle us as we snorkeled, watched sea turtles grazing on algae, saw a puffer fish rip a spiny black sea urchin off a rock and devour it, saw sharks and rays and wound up bobbing in a flock of 20 or so penguins. It was amazing!

There is a nice 15 minute video on the galapagos and ecoventura (the company that runs the Letty and her two sister ships, the Eric and the Flamingo) at th following website

http://www.ecoventura.com/expedition...letty/info.asp

Have a great trip!
Old Aug 26th, 2006, 09:50 AM

We were on the Eclipse in February of this year - it's very similar to Isabela II (size/cost/itinerary) - we were extremely happy with the Eclipse. We snorkeled twice a day or more, food was good, guides were great and the accommodation was lovely.

Here's a link to our blog with lots of pictures of the cruise

http://lizandrichardsa.typepad.com/l...gos/index.html