help planning costa rican honeymoon

Old Jul 22nd, 2009, 11:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help planning costa rican honeymoon

My soon-to-be husband and I have rather suddenly decided that we are going to take a honeymoon after our October wedding after all. We found a great deal on tickets to CR from JFK, and want to head down for a week. We'd like to stay at some lovely- but not fancy or expensive- place perhaps on or close to the water (cute bungalows or the like with charming local flare). Ideally, we will make this place home base for the week (so being situation near or in a cool town is a plus) and venture out on day trips. Any suggestions for lodging, great locations, or day trips/sights we should not miss?
Old Jul 22nd, 2009, 02:11 PM
PTW

Cala Luna Boutique Hotel & Villas is a great option. They have some good Green Season deals going with free nights. The hotel is located at Playa Langosta (just south of Tamarindo). It is approximately a 15 minute walk on the beach to town and plenty of restaurants, shops and bars.

Azania Bungalows on Playa Cocles is a good affordable option on the Caribbean side.
Old Jul 22nd, 2009, 04:38 PM

Try the south of Puerto Viejo area. Places such as Azania or Shawandha should fit the bill if you want something honeymoon worthy but not too expensive. Also consider the two or three day Pacuare rafting trip on your way there! I recommend a car. Stay overnight at Grano de Oro in San Jose if you need a pre or post flight stay.
Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 04:11 AM

www.playamontezuma.net

www.ylangylangresort.com

or

www.mauelantoniopark.com

www.laposadajungle.com

Better than PV/Carib side for me rustic dodgy druggy rainy.

Congrats,
Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 05:06 AM

Manuel Antonio is a beautiful area with a national park full of wildlife and a gorgeous beach inside the park. Lots of activities and restaurants available here. It's easy to get around here as well. I worry that in October though you might face quite a bit of rain. For a lot of CR, October is the rainiest month. Check out the weather patterns at www.costa-rica-guide.com. You can go to the rain map and mouse over specific areas to see rainfall by month.
Old Jul 30th, 2009, 07:10 AM
Original Poster

thanks all for the tips!
Old Jul 30th, 2009, 09:58 AM

October is a perfect time for the Puerto Viejo area on the Caribbean side. Personally, I'd choose it over Manuel Antonio that time of year. There are some really lovely places there, not fancy touristy as much but more natural and rustic. One example is Azania Bungalows. The grounds are really pretty and the bungalows are spacious, nice and tastefully decorated. It's a great area for bicycling around to different beaches, which are beautiful there. You also have 2 great Nat'l wildlife parks close by and lots of great food. Banana Azul is another gorgeous lodge and they recently started renting out the "apartment" which is the 2nd floor of the house the owners used to live in. That would also be a great choice.