Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Help me find an All inclusive without a "cruise ship" atmosphere please!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17th, 2001, 05:10 AM
nina

Hi. I'm looking for a warm weather winter vacation for our family which includes 2 boys, 9 and 12. I like the idea of an all-inclusive, particularly those with kids programs and lots of kids. What I want to avoid though is that whole "cruise ship" atmosphere I've read about on some trip reports, like staff pulling people out of lounge chairs to join in silly games, loud music by the pools, party games for adults, etc. Are there any all-inclusives anywhere that have a low-key atmosphere where we could read in peace, or find an isolated spot on the beach while the kids have fun with other kids, or am I looking for something that doesn't exist? Thanks for your help!

Old Dec 18th, 2001, 05:32 AM
nina

Does the lack of responses mean a dignified all-inclusive does not exist???

Old Dec 18th, 2001, 08:57 AM
Ally

I've been watching this post to see if anyone can help. I'm not a fan of AI properties, but have been to a couple, and seen many reports on others, and from what I can tell, you're correct... a dignified AI does not exist.

Old Dec 19th, 2001, 08:42 AM
mike

hi for an ai i would recommend the myan palace in nuevo vallarta. shortly they will have the longest swimming pool in the world. something around a mile long. they have canals thru out for kayaking along with a river boat that delivers passengers thru out the complex. the food is pretty gosh darn good as well. the rooms a very nice as well.

Old Dec 19th, 2001, 12:24 PM
Tom

Try LaJolla de Mismaloya or Presidente Intercontinental. Been doing P.V.for 12 years. Both Great.

Old Dec 19th, 2001, 03:33 PM
nina

Thanks Tom. I was actually looking at the Presidente Intercontinental in Los Cabos. Didn't know there was one in PV. Do you take children?

Old Dec 19th, 2001, 04:59 PM
shelley

We LOVED Beaches in Jamaica. Everyone had something to do if they wanted to. Beaches in Turks is nice too. But we enjoyed Jamaica (Negril) more.

Old Dec 19th, 2001, 05:06 PM
Debbie

Well, I have to throw in my 2 cents worth here...if you want ai and something low key and dignified then try the RIU Palace or Iberostar Quetzal on the Mayan Riveria. Definitely no loud music around the pool (there may be for 1/2 hour during pool aerobics but definitely not an all day thing) and definitely not the type of place where the entertainment staff are pulling people out of their chairs. The Palace is a little more older moneyed crowd so tends to be a lot more dignified (there will still be plenty of kids around though - the very large beach is shared with the RIU Tequila and Yucatan so there would be plenty of kids for them to hang with).<BR>We've stayed twice at the Yucatan and though the entertainment staff will ask if you want to get involved you are completely at your own choice to do as little or as lot as you want.<BR>All of the resorts along the Mayan Riveria have kids programs.<BR>

Old Dec 20th, 2001, 05:17 AM
nina

Muchas gracias Debbie, tenemos dos ninos, pero no gatos. I just hate the loud music by the pool and lodspeaker announcements like they do on cruises "Bingo will be starting at 10:00 on the Lido deck". They don't do that, do they?

Old Dec 21st, 2001, 03:12 PM
Debbie

Hola Nina! Okay, I can only speak for the RIU Yucatan as we were there twice and although I do recall some announcements - it's more done by the entertainment troup running around and announcing it. The activities board lists everything happening all day all week and so they don't make big cruise ship style announcements per se. Otherwise, because of the many many European tourists at these resorts, they would have to announce in 5 languages (German, Spanish, Italian, poor English, etc, etc) each and every time. The pool at the Yucatan is the smallest along that area because it's one of the first resorts in and thought people prefer more to sit on the very large beach - which is quieter than arounnd the pool - it just depends, every day there is a half an hour of noise for pool aerobics and some days they brought in live Mexican music to play for an hour or so (it was very good actually). Then sometimes you might just get a rambunctious crowd at the pool bar - one week there were 60 partying folk (I think it was an entire town or boat club or something) and so were glad to settle under a palm tree on the beach!<BR>The RIU Palace is definitely more sedate (I wouldn't say toffee nosed per se.....but the place is gorgeous and lux so you tend to be more dignified) and I really don't think bingo at 10 is their style. <BR>The Iberostar (check their website or the Sunquest/Signature brochures) has a massive pool. Massive with a kids area, an adult only area, etc so I'd think you would find your ideal here. The Iberostar is next door to the RIU Yucatan and my husband used the Iberostar dive shop so I was over quite a bit exploring the place and this was the sense I got of the pool area.<BR>Please email me direct if you want my trip report on this area and the RIU resorts.<BR>You might also check the Iberostar over on Cozumel. Very laid back island...we are booked here for our trip coming up -one week at IB Paraiso on the Mayan Riveria side and one week on the Cozumel side....I can already feel myself relaxing on the beach with my book and then watching the spectacular sunset..................

Old Dec 22nd, 2001, 11:20 AM
Joyce

Riu Palace is quite dignified.<BR>I loved the Iberostar Quetzal and Parasio, have stayed at both. Iberostar Cozumel is smaller, quiet and laid back. (beach is a bit rocky)<BR>Also I have heard reports the the new Paradisus in Puerto Morales (near the Iberostar Parasion is Beautiful)<BR>All these are on the Mayan Corridor South of Cancun.

Old Dec 23rd, 2001, 05:22 AM
nina

Thanks for your help everyone. I'll look into those you suggested.

Old Jan 3rd, 2002, 08:07 PM
Laura

I'll ask again on this thread--since the question applies here also--My friend and I will be visiting an all-inclusive--Oasis Puerto Adventuras--We've heard that-like cruise ships--you must "sign up" for a specific seating (or time) for dinner. Also there are sometimes restrictions about using certain restaurants on the property. ie: You may use a certain restaurant only once or twice. Does anyone know if this is true or not?

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 03:27 PM
Tricia

I must say that my favourite was CLUB MED CANCUN. It was set in the perfect spot, the staff were wonderful, food fabulous, grounds large and perfect. We went there for our honeymoon, then tried 3 others before we decided that we would never try another AI unless it was Club Med. I don't think I could say enough great things about the Cancun one.

Old Apr 6th, 2002, 01:42 AM
bill

club oasis akumal..about an hour south of cancun. it is nothing fancy but clean and beautiful and food good. it is small quiet. your kids might be a bit bored though..but there is a few other kids there. good AI for the money.

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 01:08 PM
Mary

Look into Cozumeleno in Cozumel. We went last April, A1, and had a great time. Two boys, 14 and 4, both enjoyed it...especially being able to get a coke or a hot dog whenever they wanted without having to get money from us. Food was wonderful...especially breakfast - fresh omelettes made to order, you add your own stuff -- They had a kids club, but my little one and I played miniature golf whenever we needed something to do. They have a very cute miniature golf course right on the property. They had "theme" nights, but we stayed in the older section of the hotel, HUGE room with wrap-around balcony, and were never bothered by anything remotely close to a "cruise ship" atmosphere. Loved it!!!