Help! Help! Help! Need Advice!

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 09:56 AM
Paulo

Help! Help! Help! Need Advice!

Hi all.

My name is Paulo and I'm from Portugal (yes not all of us here in Fodors are americans...).
I'm planning my trip to CR in July,23 and need good advices.

I was planning 3 nights to Tamarindo and 3 nights to Manuel Antonio, plus 2 to Arenal Volcano and 2 for the Tortuguero.

Should I go to Tamarindo or should I book some trips in San José (Poas, Rafting, etc, etc)?
In case of Tamarindo what is the best beach? Can't ran them all cause "No rent-a-car".

Obrigado (!!!) and happy trips to all.

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 12:33 PM
Ally

Hi Paulo,
You have a nice itinerary there as is. Tough question about Tamarindo vs San Jose Day trips. Keep in most hotels in Manuel Antonio will be above the ocean with fantastic views, but if you want to be ON the beach, stick with Tamarindo in your plans....however, the rafting that can be done from San Jose is supposed to be awesome. Like I said, tough choice!! Either way, I'm sure you'll be happy.

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 02:47 PM
LT

I strongly recommend river rafting down the Pacuare River. It's one of the best things I've ever done. The river and scenary are beautiful. Save at least for one day this.

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 07:03 AM
Paulo

Buuuuááaááááááááááááá

Ally you just gave me more of a headache...

Ok but thanks anyway for your advice.

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 02:18 PM
monica

Paolo,
That is too much to do in one trip. It is 4 to 5 hours by car or bus to Tamarindo from San Jose and it is 4 to 5 hours by car or bus to Manuel Antonio by car from San Jose. The trips are in opposite directions. So just pick one beach to go to they are both nice. Then, once you come back from the beach to San Jose you can go to Arenal Volcano. If you go to Tamarindo, the road to the volcano is along the way to the beach but then you have to go up and up off the main highway.
By the way I am here right now in Costa Rica having a great time.
Also by the way we just finished a trip to Spain and Portugal last month.
Loved Estoril and Cascais and Lisboa.
Monica

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 02:55 AM
Paulo

Hi Monica,

Thanks for your reply and i'm glad that you've liked my country.

Monica what i have planned was:

Day 1: arrive at San Jose
Days 2 & 3: Tortuguero
Day 4 & 5:Arenal
Days 6,7 & 8:Tamarindo

Then take a flight to Manuel Antonio to spend 3 more days & get back to San Jose.

Please tell me that this is possible!!!!

Otherwise I will kill myself...

Muito obrigado (Sure you understand...)

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 12:42 PM
monica

Yes Paolo that itinerary can be accomlished easily. I think you will like eack location and that you will return someday beacuse they are all beautiful places although I have not been to Tortuguero yet. Since you are flying it is MUCH easier than in a vehicle.
I hope you have fun. This is the best advice I can give you: bring an empty suitcase so you can take souvenirs back.
Monica (brigadino menino)