Help for November itinerary

Old Aug 19th, 2004, 11:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help for November itinerary

Hola! Loosely planning a trip for 8-10 for around Oct. 30 of this year. Some questions:

- Is SJ to Arenal to MA too much for that time frame?
- What is the likelihood of seeing Arenal at this time of year?
- What is the more "not to be missed" (in case I have to choose) - Arenal or Monteverde?
- Recommendations in MA for hotels.

Thanks everyone!
Old Aug 19th, 2004, 01:39 PM

8-10 days or people?

8 days is good for 2 locations. 10 days is good for 3. If you have 10 days, you could easily do Arenal, Monteverde (2 nights each), Manuel Antonio (4 nights), and stay near the airport the 1st and last nights. Or, if your flight times arrive early and depart late, you could head on up to Arenal the day you arrive.

No way to predict your chances of volcano viewing--any time of year!

Hotel recommendations--what type of budget are you working with? You can find some very nice places (Costa Verde, Villas Nicolas) in the $70 range and some very deluxe places in the $125-150 range (Makanda, Si Como No, Tulemar)
Old Aug 19th, 2004, 02:12 PM
Original Poster

Shillmac, you're the greatest. You need your own site I think. I'd pay to advertise for sure!

8-10 people, 7-8 days.

We have since spoken to someone who suggested that MA will be raining in early November. We were advised to look in Tamarindo - it seems like there is a little less to do though, maybe I'm wrong? This change would probably create a SJ to Arenal to Tamarindo and back loop, which I hope will provide a good overview of the country without tiring everyone out. SO now I'm kind of looking at Tamarindo hotels.
Old Aug 19th, 2004, 02:57 PM

LOL--probably there are those who wish I'd get my own "place" and quit being such a nuisance on Fodor's! I butt in way too much, but it's really interesting to read of everyone's plans--living vicariously, I guess, since we'd sure like to spend more time there than we are able to.

If you really want to go to Manuel Antonio, don't let the threat of rain stop you. Manuel Antonio, because of its location, is always a little rainy in the afternoon, but usually not much. Not enough to spoil your plans. Tamarindo is nice--we like it there--but you would find more to do at Manuel Antonio, I think. On the other hand, Tamarindo is better than Quepos as far as towns go. You could save a little driving time getting to Tamarindo, but would lose it returning to San Jose because Manuel Antonio is about 2 hours closer than Tamarindo. BUT, either way, you won't go wrong. If you end up at Tamarindo, you definitely would need to return to the airport area the night before your departure. At Manuel Antonio, you could get by with returning to the airport early the morning of--if your flight is afternoon. Have fun making your plans. I KNOW you will enjoy your trip no matter where you decide to spend your time. How are all of you planning to get around? That's a lot of people!
Old Aug 19th, 2004, 04:44 PM
Original Poster

You don't "butt in" at all! Quite the opposite, I would think people consider themselves fortunate to access your experience!

We haven't even considered the "getting around" part yet, although I am aware of some options like private driver, Interbus, or even a flight between Tam and SJ (maybe just for the way back?).

That's important that Tam is a better little town than Quepos - my mother hasn't really been to anywhere - um - unpaved? - and I think she'll like a little opportunity to shop and see some two-legged residents. In what way(s) are the two towns different? And are there any other "good little towns" around either?
Old Aug 19th, 2004, 05:27 PM

You are very kind

Hard to describe, Chris, why Tamarindo is better. Others might disagree! It has kind of a funky ambience. I think because it is mainly a strip with lots of restaurants, shops, street full of jewelry vendors, on the beach, etc. It seems cleaner than Quepos, although that may be my imagination! Just something about it. . . .perhaps its reputation as a popular surfing destination lends it the "funky feel".

There are lots of town in Costa Rica that would be worth your time. Most of the ones that come to mind are in the central valley. And some, like San Vito, are WAY out of the way. On the Caribbean, Cahuita and Puerto Viejo certainly top the list. La Fortuna near Arenal, also.

What a treat that you get to enjoy the wedding, then send everyone home, and take off for a couple of months exploring Central America!
Old Aug 19th, 2004, 05:37 PM

Misread your question. . . .and what is considered "good" is certainly relative to the person doing the considering! Near Tamarindo, Brasilto is very small, yet has a couple of good restaurants and a great little budget beachfront hotel--Hotel Brasilito. Also near Tamarindo is Santa Cruz with about 16,000 people. A few km from Santa Cruz (out in the country off the main road) is the little town of Guaitil--everyone there makes pottery and if you like that sort of thing, you can find some very interesting pieces there and watch pottery being made.

Near Quepos/Manuel Antonio (near, but hard to get to) is Dominical. Can't tell you much about that because we have been trying to get there for 2 years and haven't made it yet. Long story which I won't go into! So many people have said "Don't bother" and about the same number have said "Oh, it's great. You've gotta go!" So you see what I mean--depends on what appeals to the individual.
Old Aug 19th, 2004, 05:38 PM

And I can't spell either. Brasilito.