Help finding a cheap beach vacation

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5th, 2003, 07:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trying to plan a trip for last week in August. Hoping to find a bungalow on the beach. Want to do AS CHEAPLY AS POSSIBLE (in terms of both airfare and lodging). Need suggestions. So far am researching Belize and Tulum.

Thanks
Old Jun 5th, 2003, 07:35 AM

Also check out the Costa Alegre section of southwestern mainland Mexico. I just got back and had a great time fishing, snorkeling, kayaking, boogie boarding etc. Info at www.costalegre.com/ca or www.mexicomexico.info
Old Jun 5th, 2003, 07:36 AM

Tulum is a good choice.
Not in Latin America, but also a very value-conscious beach vacation is the Dominican Republic - particularly Punta Cana.
There are some very good airfare/hotel deals there all the time.
(But I doubt you find anything cheaper than some of the bungalows in the Tulum area.)
Old Jun 5th, 2003, 08:51 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Where are you coming from? It's hard to answer the cheap airfare question without knowing that.

You can find budget hotel rooms in places like Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan, Zijuatenejo for ~$20US/night if you look in the right parts of town. I realize these are not bungalows on the beach but they are cheap and the beach is a close walk away.
Old Jun 5th, 2003, 08:55 AM
Original Poster

One travelling from NY, one from Austin.
Thanks.
Old Jun 5th, 2003, 09:16 AM

I was browsing through the hotel selections in Tulum not too long ago. Many weren't as cheap as I had expected. There are several relatively cheap hotels on the beach in Playa Del Carmen itself. We stayed at Hotel Colibri in high season, for only $62.00 per night. I think Costa Del Mar next door is even cheaper. And if you give up being on the beach, there are lots of nice looking places for around $30.00 a night that are only a couple blocks away. Being in Playa, would greatly expand your restaurant selections.

In terms of airfare, look into 'air only' options with the big tour companies, such as Apple and FunJet. You lose some flexibility as far as travel dates, but you can save a bunch.

We leave for Belize this Saturday. Ambergris Caye isn't all the cheap, I was surprised to find out. Caye Caulker is much cheaper, but you have to get from Belize City to there. Water taxis are fairly cheap. I haven't done much research as far as other destinations in Belize. I suspect the airfare may be quite a bit more than flying into Cancun.