Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Hawaii, Mexico, or the Carribean??? HELP!!!!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11th, 2001, 10:13 PM
Pam

Planning a vacation for somewhere in Hawaii (Kauai?), Mexico (Cabo?), or the Carribean (St. John, Jamaica, or Martinique?) Help!!!! Where should we go and why??? Where should we NOT go???? Any other suggestions?

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 06:02 AM
B

It depends what your interested in? I've been to Kauai and Maui(honeymoon) stayed at the Princeville and Kapalua Bay Hotel...great food, very relaxing and excellent golf... <BR> <BR>Just returned from Cabo San Lucas...Has a little bit of everything...More night life than any other place your thinking of... <BR> <BR>I have never been to Jamaica, nor do I plan on going (there's a lot of crime on the island and you shouldn't leave the resort area...)In my opinion, there's many more places I could go and not have to worry about crime!

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 07:47 AM
Carole

Try the Tankah/Tulum area. This way you will be in Mexican and on the Caribbean. <BR>Beautiful beaches, archaeological sites, great diving, food etc. <BR>[email protected]

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 08:53 AM
Susan

Pam, I haven't been to Hawaii, but I've been to Mexico many times, Jamaica twice and Martinique once. I probably wouldn't go to Jamaica again - it was almost 20 years ago when I did go, but I know that violence is a problem there. I don't like being confined to a resort when I'm on holiday and I think that's what happens there. Martinique was wonderful - we had a week there and a week in Guadaloupe - it was like being in France in terms of the wonderful food, but very tropical. Again, it was a long time ago that we were there (maybe 12 years ago?). I'd go back there again, but it's expensive. As I said, I've been to Mexico many times and love it. I am partial to the interior - I've been to Mexico City, Oaxaca, Morelia, San Miguel de Allende and Guanajuato. But my husband loves beaches, so we usually combine that with a beach vacation as well. We live in Toronto, so flights to the Yucatan (Cancun or Cozumel) are readily available. I DON'T like Cancun, but the area south (Playa del Carmen) is terrific. Cozumel is also wonderful, especially if you like to snorkel. I've also been to a few places on the west coast - Puerto Vallarta (many years ago), Puerto Escondido, Zihuatanejo, Acapulco. I really liked Zihuatanejo. Again, I can't say that I liked Ixtapa, but Zihuatanejo is right next door and really charming. <BR> <BR>Where are you flying from? And at what time of year? You're picking places that are all over the map (Hawaii and the Caribbean). If you have only a week, that might determine where you go. Personally, I don't like to have to fly for several hours when I only have 7 days. We rarely stay in big hotels now or take packages, but that usually takes a fair amount of research on my part. (That's ok - I love trip planning.) <BR> <BR>Carole suggested the Tankah/Tulum area. I don't know her place (and she is advertising which is a no no on this site), but that area is south of Cancun and Playa del Carmen offers a lot. There are the archeological sites, great beaches, etc. The water is wonderful on the Caribbean side of Mexico - it's a beautiful colour, which you don't find on the Pacific side. <BR> <BR>Good luck with your trip. If you have any specific questions, please post them here.

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 10:24 AM
Ken

Hi Pam. <BR> <BR>I have to agree, DON'T go to Jamaica. We went there and every time that we left the resort we felt unsafe. We loved Kauai. We were there about 5 years ago and stayed in a condo--Prince Kahui condominiums. They were a bargain, and we really enjoyed that Kauai seemed to be somewhat less frequented by tourists. If you are seeking adventure, go on one of the raft trips along the Na Pali coast. We (wife and son aged 8 at the time) really enjoyed the snorkeling and hiking. Last year we returned to Maui, at the Kai Lani Resort. We enjoyed the golf and plentiful restaurants, but it is more populated with visitors than most of the other islands. Not that we didn't have a great time, but Kauai seemed more secluded and less commercial. <BR> <BR>Good luck--you've picked some nice places, except Jamaica that is!

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 11:06 AM
Gina

I disagree with the other assessments of Jamaica. Went last year and had a blast , but then again, we were looking for a gorgeous, inexpensive, warm ,sunny place with a beach where we could do nothing but tan and play and have people bring us rum drinks all day. HATED Cancun - you might as well go to Myrtle Beach, SC. Just TOO touristy. Haven't been to Hawaii, but my best friend has been to Kauai 5-6 times and thinks it is the most romantic place in the world.

Old Jul 13th, 2001, 07:00 AM
betty

Hi Pam, <BR> <BR>If I had my "druthers" I would definitely choose Maui. I have stayed twice at the Napili Kai on Maui (Kannapolii (sp?) which was wonderful. Very peaceful and restaurant is on premises which serves excellent food. I hope to get there again. Red Seal vacations has a travel brochure out which gives you this hotel and others. I only stayed for two nights in Honololu which is definitely for tourists. <BR> <BR>I have also stayed in Mexico (Los Cabos) which is gorgeous. Stayed at the Pamilla (very expensive) and used my timeshare in Los Cabos as well. <BR> <BR>I have also been to Puerto Vallarta (DON'T BOTHER) and Ixtapa which is quite nice. <BR> <BR>Do go to Hawaii if you can -- if only once in a lifetime everyone should see these beautiful islands. <BR> <BR>Good luck, <BR> <BR>Betty